PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever correct to limp with Aces UTG?

08-02-2005, 03:08 AM
Is it ever correct to limp with Aces UTG?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>.

Final Pot: 1.75 BB

nervous
08-02-2005, 03:11 AM
At an aggressive table and to mix up your play.

toby
08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
If your EP raises are just winning the blinds, limping AA utg might get you a little more action.

sy_or_bust
08-02-2005, 08:36 AM
At 2/4, you really shouldn't be limp-reraising aces. If you have problems as the above, it is time to switch tables.

Petteri
08-02-2005, 08:39 AM
In Party Poker 2/4 $ you should always raise. 2/4 $ level there is no need to mix up your opening play from early position.

mlb3zr
08-02-2005, 09:23 AM
At Party 2/4, this action should only rarely happen. If the table is this tight, that should be your last hand. And even though this can be a little frustrating, I try to think of all the times my aces have been beat by T6o or something and be grateful for winning almost a big bet. So to answer your question, I don't limp with AA at 2/4.

W. Deranged
08-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Not raising with AA under the gun is a pretty big mistake in most small stakes situations.

1. Your bad opponent's will often call two cold anyway; if no one is willing to do this, you need to find a new table.

2. Your opponent's are too unobservant/transient/bad to notice that you might be raising AA under the gun. You don't get the kinds of metagame advantages from such a deceptive play as you might at a mid or high stakes (particularly live) game.

3. (And this one isn't unimportant) Limping under the gun with AA, in my experience, tends to be bad psychologically for the player involved unless you are very fully aware of what you are doing. Limping UTG will mean your aces will get cracked MUCH more often. Losing with AA tends to induce tilt. If you are an experienced player with a good sense of how limping affects your sense of winning, this isn't that important, but I think this is a good reason why new players shouldn't do it.

arch12
08-02-2005, 09:44 AM
I feel there are situations where limping from UTG may be an option. Suppose there is a maniac raising every second pot to your left, opting to limp-reraise is a great option. If the table has a high pre-flop raise %, limp-reraising may be the way to go. Or you may choose to limp if the table is overly tight.

While deceptive play isn't as paramount at lower limits, limping against observant players may also have its benefits. In general obviously raising is the way to go, but limping can be a better option if it allows you to win more bets in later rounds. Though, it's highly unlikely limping will be the better option at small stakes, it should never be totally dismissed.

W. Deranged
08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
This is the important exception I forgot to mention.

If you search around last week, there was an interesting thread that involved someone limp-reraising with QQ because there was a maniac on his immediate left who would automatically raise any two. Had hero raised, the maniac would only have called; many would then have called two behind. If hero waited to three-bet, he would end up facing the same size field but with more bets in the pot.

If there is a certified maniac at the table on or close to your left who is SIGNIFICANTLY altering the texture of the table (particularly by encouraging others to play a lot looser pre-flop), limp-reraising is often the only legitimate option because you will be able to reraise so certainly and because raising immediately has lower likelihood of limiting the field because everyone is used to calling two cold.