PDA

View Full Version : Should I have pushed?

08-02-2005, 01:42 AM
I was playing in a Party players club 500 point freeroll tonight (1989 players started) and the following came up:

There were 20 people left. The chip leader had about 225,000 chips. Blinds were 5k/10k. I had about 135,000 chips and was in the BB with [A♠][K♠]. UTG had about 120,000 chips. He raised to 75,000. The Button called his remaining 60000 chips. Everyone else folded. I thought about pushing but I was thinking that I didn't want to end a five hour tournament in a race situation. I folded. UTG showed QQ and the button showed JJ. The cards came K5573.

I know that this isn't really that significant a tournament but I am killing myself for not pushing. Am I right for thinking that way?

Lloyd
08-02-2005, 01:53 AM
meh, you're getting 1.5 to 1 odds and have 40% pot equity against those hands. That's basically a wash so it was a neutral decision. I would tend to not call off all my chips (or push when you can reasonably expect to have them called off) on a neutral situation. I wouldn't worry about the fold.

runout_mick
08-02-2005, 05:43 AM
I like to push here. I also seem to like getting knocked out just before the bubble because I'm too aggressive. I push, but a good player likely folds.

I'm taking this chance because I am not very strong at the final table as a shortstack, but usually do well if I have an above avg stack.

08-02-2005, 07:06 PM
I would have folded as well. UTG raised half his stack and isn't going anywhere. When I push with a drawing type hand like AK, I at least want the vigorish of potentially taking down the pot without a fight. Here you clearly don't have that vigorish.