PDA

View Full Version : Was the hand played to strong?

08-02-2005, 01:07 AM
This hand came up last night at a no limit $2-$4 game ive limped in with 4-7 of diamonds on the button the tables 6 handed and the guy in the big blind raises up $20 dollars four of the other players call as do i for the value knowing i have to hit the flop hard if im to continue.
Flop comes out 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif-5- /images/graemlins/diamond.gif-3 /images/graemlins/club.gif now my hand is pretty big in my eyes guy in the big blind now fires out $70 everyone folds to me on the button next card no improvement 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif he raises $200 i have $800 in front of me he has over 1K i think reraising him trying to repesent trips or the straight may make him fold if not then i still have outs i go all in thinking he must have an overpair with the way the hands been played maybe A-A i get a call he hit trips 5s.Was the hand played overly aggresive or was it the only move left?
Oh and i missed /images/graemlins/frown.gif

08-02-2005, 01:24 AM
That's a lot of words for only 2 sentences /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

08-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Okay im no English teacher my spelling is crap and so is my grammer im only trying to get some feed back on the hand.Just tried to put it across best i can.

08-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Well since you're so nice I'll give you my opinion.
I don't think you were very overly aggressive with the hand at all. On the first call you made preflop after everyone limped in you were getting 4.5-1 odds to call so that wasn't a bad call on the button. Then after BB raised it up and everyone called again you were getting 5-1 odds to call, again good odds on the button. Even though everyone is still in the hand and there was a raiser in early position (that DID raise to 5BB, should indicate some strength), you are getting good pot odds and huge implied odds if you hit a nice flop or draw out on someone who most likely has a better preflop hand than you.
On the flop you didn't play it badly either. BB bet 70 and even though everyone else folded you were still getting about 3.1-1 odds to call, and with your 15 outs you needed about 3.1-1 to call, so you made a good call on the flop (even if you didn't exactly have the odds you needed, you could also assume he missed the flop with a high Ax and is making a bad steal attempt or has like you thought an overpair, and i wouldn't worry too much about a flush draw here, but you could still make the call with something even like 2-1 odds or so because the implied odds are so high).
On the turn I like your play again. the 8 probably didn't help his hand based on the way he bet this hand and is probably trying to win it right here, so testing him with an all in could be a profitable play. Going all in like you said represents a good hand like the str8 or a set and would put him on the spot, since he would only have 200 left if he calls and loses. You are also giving him only about 2.14-1 odds to call the all in, and if he thinks you have what you are representing, then those definitely aren't good calling odds given the stack sizes. If he does think he is winning and calls you like he did, you have your 15 outs and are about 30% to hit it on the river, making you about a 2.3-1 underdog, so the odds you are giving him to call the all in aren't THAT bad for you either. This is how the no limit semi bluff works, you either take down the pot or have a lot of outs to hit and win if you are called.
Overall i think you made the right play here, especially after the flop came. It's just unfortunate that he had those trips and you couldn't hit one of your outs. But that's how it works in this wonderful game!

08-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the hand,just one of those moments in the game where you look back and wonder should i have played it a little differently its always good to get other players views.