PDA

View Full Version : raising when first in

coldcards2
08-02-2005, 12:34 AM
If I have a playable hand, of reasonable strength, I am in middle position and the first to enter the pot, why is it usually correct to come in for a raise???

TheBlueMonster
08-02-2005, 12:45 AM
do you really want random hands to limp in behind you? On a flop of 7-3-9 your pockets jacks are up against the BB's 9-3 offsuit.... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

andyfox
08-02-2005, 02:10 AM
-You discourage players from coming in behind you. And that gives you three advantages: postion, position, and position.

-You might get the blinds to fold and win the pot right then and there.

-If the blinds call, they often "check to the raiser" on the flop.

-You'll get more money in the pot when you likely have the best hand.

Webster
08-02-2005, 07:00 AM
And the biggest reason of them all - you get more $$ into the pot. Plus - people with worse hands will cold call you.

spaminator101
08-02-2005, 12:36 PM
unless they are stupid there arent that many hands that can reasonably call a double bet
and they will have position with better hands however it thins the field for your strong hands

ZenMusician
08-02-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unless they are stupid there arent that many hands that can reasonably call a double bet
and they will have position with better hands however it thins the field for your strong hands

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!! You must be new to LLHE...!

-ZEN

08-03-2005, 12:56 AM
You want to protect your hand as much as possible. You will hopefully keep out the any two suited players and the blind specials.

Jack
patexashold-em.com

PokrLikeItsProse
08-03-2005, 09:39 AM
One reason not yet stated is that you give away information if you tend to open-limp with your weaker hands and open-raise with your stronger hands.

My general rule is that it is okay to open limp with a weaker hand only if it is okay to sometimes open limp with aces.