PDA

View Full Version : Kings preflop and an ace hits the turn

Neal_Schon
08-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Table is tight-agressive. 25-30 preflop.

10 handed 3-6

Hero has K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP.

A bunch of tighties fold... Hero raises, more folds, Button 3-bets, SB and BB fold, Hero caps, Button calls.

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets, Button calls.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Gimme a plan

DMBFan23
08-02-2005, 12:24 AM
I would check call the turn, and if he bets it I would check call the river as well. if he checks the turn then I bet the river.

basically you are way ahead or way behind now, as he is very very unlikely to have any hand with any significant number of outs. since you capped it PF OOP you are roughly 50/50 to have a pocket pair (more or less depending on how you play 99/TT/AKo) and it would be tough to call villain's turn raise and river bet (giving him a profitable bluff opportunity)

of course I'm talking in the context of 5/10 opponents who will bluff raise. if you are dealing with ppl who will call down with any pair and only raise a big ace, then you can bet here

but, he'll usually bet or call a worse hand on at least one street, so don't worry about missing too much value either way. basically you just want to get to showdown here.

08-02-2005, 12:27 AM
check-call or fold

smartalecc5
08-02-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
check-call or fold

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for your explanation.

Personally, I would bet here and fold to a raise. Unless he is a tricky player and could riase that ace with a holding like TT JJ and use it as a scare card against you, I think you are safe to bet. What hands he could possibly put you on would be useful. If you are a tight person preflop I think a bet would make more sense. If you are a LAG I like the check-cal a little more.

McGahee
08-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I like check/call here. I think in an aggressive game, villian is using the "Raise/fold to 3-bet" line with a lower pair often enough for me to not like bet/fold. Either that or he'll fold to a bet if YHIG when he's drawing to probably 2 outs or dead. If you bet, I don't know how often you're just going to get called down by something like TT.

Luv2DriveTT
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Table is tight-agressive. 25-30 preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean 15-30?

The play is read and opponent dependant. Sometimes I check-call, sometimes I bet-fold to a raise.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

PokerBob
08-02-2005, 11:37 AM
puke.

SippinSoma
08-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Easy bet/fold?

mdob
08-02-2005, 12:04 PM
I like standard WA/WB here: check/call the turn, bet the river. I think a river raise is much less likely to be a bluff than a turn raise and we should probably fold if he does raise.

There aren't a ton of hands we lose to here, though, since we hold stopper cards for half the AK combos. Still, he's more likely to bet a hand we beat than call, so I like the above line.

stokken
08-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I would start my thought process on the flopp here:

What previouss action dictates a mere call from your opponent?
Have u on previouss occasions slowed down to action under similar
conditions? If so AA is a larger possibility since he doesnt want
to loose action, and if u have slowed down to action a-high or KK-TT
would be raised to you to save susbsequent waste of money drawing to two outs
and might produce a free showdow for the opponent

And if u dont slow down to action I would presume a mere call possibly indicates some weaker holding then yours
unless the opposition likes to get to turn cheaply before dropping or calling down a hand, in wich case I would regard him more weak/thight then tag

Then the turn:
Straight forward approch: there are more hands which could dictate the preflopp
that wont beat u.
It would also be of interest to know if the opponent reraises with A-garbage
Also it would reveal information about the opposition if he actually holds an A-x, knowing he will draw to 3 outs
is valuable info.

So if early in a session I would opt for check/call
If well into a session I might check/raise and probably fold to a reraise, and be puzled if only called

The hand is interesting with regards to what message u send across to the other players as well.

IMO

sfer
08-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Trix had a similar hand about 18 months ago with AA on a board that came Kxx and a K on the turn. Check/call, check/call.

Paxosmotic
08-02-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trix had a similar hand about 18 months ago with AA on a board that came Kxx and a K on the turn. Check/call, check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would you remember that?

sfer
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Because Clark and GoT agreed with the line.

Paxosmotic
08-02-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because Clark and GoT agreed with the line.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't even remember how the chili I had for lunch tasted, oy.