PDA

View Full Version : betting enough to commit villan to call

WalleyeJason
08-02-2005, 12:05 AM
I have been spending some time trying to improve my play reading my opponents range of hands and how to extract as much coin as I can when I know that Im best. Im pretty sure I'm starting to get a better grasp of it during gametime play.

This particular hand, I have no solid read on the villian, but from what I have seen he seems pretty resonable.

What range of hands can you expect to see here with him betting the size of the pot?

Also, with me calling his bet after the flop, should he have known that I was on some sort of hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t2245)
Button (t4180)
Hero (t1835)
BB (t2415)
UTG (t345)
MP (t1600)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150, BB folds.

Turn: (t450) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t1400</font>, Hero calls t500.

River: (t3250) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3250

WalleyeJason
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
TTT

A_PLUS
08-02-2005, 01:44 PM
On the turn, his play looks like either 2 pair with the Ax, or, AXs pair/ nut flush draw.

I think you played it fine. if he rivered the flush, of well

reecelights
08-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Range:
KQ-KJ (maybe two diamonds), AdXd, 33, unlikely but AK as well, worst case scenario being AdKd. You're ahead. I think KK is highly unlikely as he would not have bet the pot on the flop.

You played it right, except maybe push after his turn reraise.

WalleyeJason
08-02-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You played it right, except maybe push after his turn reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

His turn re-raise put me all in. If my thinking was right my riase to 900 basicly commited him to getting all the chips in the middle at this point with any holdings between TPTK to Top Two.

If you were the villen could you lay down AK to a 900 re-raise in this spot?

whiskeytown
08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
there's a simple explaination for the pot bets -

he was making it so if you called with a flush draw, you'd be making a bad call - if he only raises a medium amount, then you're getting the odds to draw to a diamond (or even a st8)

Personally, I'd put him on a K with any kicker from 9 to Q -
RB

WalleyeJason
08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's a simple explaination for the pot bets -

he was making it so if you called with a flush draw, you'd be making a bad call - if he only raises a medium amount, then you're getting the odds to draw to a diamond (or even a st8)

Personally, I'd put him on a K with any kicker from 9 to Q -
RB

[/ QUOTE ]

So the pot bet on the flop should have been the first signal that he was not holding a flush draw?

Is there any way you make a pot size bet with a flush draw in this spot?

WJ

A_PLUS
08-02-2005, 05:29 PM
I wouldnt read too much into his bet size on the flop. With small pots, players dont generally size up there bets. You will see a much higher % of the pot sized bets in 150 chip pots than you will with 400 chip pots.

Seeing a pot sized bet with a nut flush draw here would be pretty much standard for most players. If he then paired his Ace, you will often see a reraise push on the turn, especially if he has something like A5

ZootMurph
08-02-2005, 05:37 PM
First things first... with a coordinated board, you HAVE to either bet out or check/raise. You cannot let a flush draw get a cheap look at the turn.

Next, your call on the flop early in the tournament could mean a LOT of things. Many bad players will make bad calls here, and if you have no read on him, he probably doesn't have much of a read on you, so he could be putting you on anything from an OESD to a flush draw, to two pair or a set. When he bets half the pot on the turn, I have to put him on a K/images/graemlins/diamond.gifx/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, most likely. When you raise and he reraises allin, I definitely put him on one of three hands: 33, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 or 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, or K/images/graemlins/diamond.gifx/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Unless the table has been REALLY tight or he's really passive preflop, then he may limp with AA, KK, or A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif to try to get some action... but I really can't put him on those hands. If he has the flush draw with a pair, he has 8 outs... one /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, the Ace or King that he doesn't have, gives you the full house. If he has 33, he has one out.

Anyway, in my experience, a lot of players overplay their draws early in a tournament in hopes of accumluating a big stack or going out early. I'm guessing this is what happened here.

Iconoclastic
08-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Why did you slowplay a set on a coordinated flop? Make em pay for draws and if called you'll get to push the Turn most of the time. The only times that you lose equity in this situation with a check-raise is someone folding a TP but it's still early in a tournament so it's very possible he puts you on a draw. It's not like you have position so slowplaying is much riskier here.

WalleyeJason
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you slowplay a set on a coordinated flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
My feeling was that the villian had AK or most likley Kx, It was hard to see him with AKd without a raise preflop. I know looking back its easier to see that I have allowed the villian to draw at the flush, but he was betting like he was protecting his hand, fearing the flush himself so I guessed that I was best without the fear of the flush beating my set so I elected to slow play in this scenario.

WJ

WalleyeJason
08-02-2005, 10:41 PM
The villian had AKoff with neither being a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I ended up moving on to win this SNG.

WJ

reecelights
08-03-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were the villen could you lay down AK to a 900 re-raise in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

No