PDA

View Full Version : Calling Raises Preflop with Small Pocket Pairs

Delphin
08-01-2005, 11:24 PM
In party $.50/$1, when should I be calling raises preflop with small pocket pairs? I know I should take off the training wheels eventually, but I'm still trying to learn to keep my balance.

My 6max chart says to reraise 88 and 77 on the button and to raise or fold them in MP or CO. For 66-22 it says to call on the button if two players are in. I'm not comfortable 3-betting with 77 and 88. Are they really that strong? How do you play them after the flop once you've 3bet?

I also sometimes want to justify a call when there are less than 3 BB in the pot.

What do you do (assume no reads unless specified)?

22 in the CO, raise call before you
22 in the CO, raise call before you and loose button/blinds
22 in the CO, raise call before you and tight button/blinds

22 on the button, limp raise call before you
22 on the button, limp raise call before you and loose blinds
22 on the button, limp raise call before you and tight blinds

For Ten handed games there are obviously more possible scenarios. SSHE seems to say that 99-22 should be folded to a raise unless you are in late position and there are two callers.

66 in MP2, limp raise call before you
66 in MP2, limp raise call before you and all loose/passive players behind you
66 in MP2, raise call call call before you
66 in MP2, raise call call call before you and all loose/passive players behind you

It seems the goal of these recommendations is two-fold.

One purpose is to minimize the chance of calling a raise and being reraised (and possibly capped) behind you.

Two is to make sure you have sufficient odds to chase a set. Your odds of flopping a set are 7.333:1 and you probably need something like 4:1 odds preflop to try and play for set value only. The extra 2-3 BB is not very hard to make up post-flop, but 4-5 BB is not as easy so 2:1 or 3:1 odds preflop is not good enough.

If I'm reasonably sure that no one behind me will reraise, then it seems like playing these hands in earlier positions with sufficient pot odds might be correct.

If I have good reason to believe that limpers in front of the raiser, players behind me, or the blinds will call the raise, it seems like adding their bets to my immediate pot odds (with some discounting) seems reasonable.

So take off the training wheels? If I fold 66-22 to a raise unless I'm in the CO or on the button and there are already 3BB in the pot, am I losing any value? Should I just follow the charts?

numeri
08-01-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For Ten handed games there are obviously more possible scenarios. SSHE seems to say that 99-22 should be folded to a raise unless you are in late position and there are two callers.

66 in MP2, raise call call call before you and all loose/passive players behind you

[/ QUOTE ]
These are all calls - 4:1 is plenty for me. (The first is only 3:1, but a blind will come along most of the time.) I have a super small sample size, but I've found that the implied odds after hitting your set make up for the poor pre-flop odds.

grjr
08-02-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
These are all calls - 4:1 is plenty for me. (The first is only 3:1, but a blind will come along most of the time.) I have a super small sample size, but I've found that the implied odds after hitting your set make up for the poor pre-flop odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can throw in the occasional "win otherwise" hand even when you don't hit a set. Just as an example, I've cold-called with 66 25 times and won with 3 sets, 2 straights, and sixes and fours once. I've made the most money with the straights so far. I suppose because no one thinks you're stupid enough to coldcall a raise with a 6.

I also lost with the other set I hit to a set of kings--that one stung.