PDA

View Full Version : Stars .25/.50 6-max, weak A

bobman0330
08-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Fifth hand or so at the table. Just won a biggish pot with the 1-card idiot end of a straight. River is simple, but thoughts on the flop and turn? I like it, but a friend of mine doesn't. (I'd often bet this flop, but I'll check it occasionally as well)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) converter

Hero ($65.20)
Button ($18.25)
SB ($4.90)
BB ($70.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Ad, 8d.
Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) Qd, 5c, As (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($4.25) 6h (2 players)
BB bets $1, Hero calls $1.

River: ($6.25) 8s (2 players)
BB bets $2, Hero raises to $6.5, BB calls $4.50.

Final Pot: $19.25

crosse91
08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Preflop: why are we raising this here in this position? What hands that we beat are calling? PLus, a-8s is a speculative hand that is best used in LP, in EP these kinds of hands cause more trouble than good.

FLop: Many might disagree with me here-but i bet this. I hit my ace (no kicker i know) But he hasn't showed any strength either by not betting. Any pair of aces autobets here most of the time. I would logically think my hand is bet worthy. ALso, if you plan to continuation bet alot, betting here is consistent with your image. (not that anyone's paying that much attention at 50nl)

turn: If i haven't bet flop i raise here. See above for reasoning. If i bet flop and am called-i check behind and shut it down for the most part, only calling a small bet on the river

Hope it was helpful.

orange
08-02-2005, 03:40 AM
PF is fine IMO, A8d is well above average 4 handed.

I bet the flop (~$3 or so) 90% of the time here-the hand plays differently too. The river is good, I might raise a bit more, maybe 7-8. Nice hand overall.

ajmargarine
08-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Preflop is fine four-handed.

I am betting the flop here though. I would bet the flop with any two here most of the time as a continuation bet, so I surely am betting my top pair $3. If called, I would lean toward checking behind on the turn. And of course the river plays itself.

NYCNative
08-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I would bet the flop.

bobman0330
08-02-2005, 11:54 AM
OK, here are my thoughts on the hand:
Usually I'll bet here on the flop, but I felt like I'd mix it up a bit, since my hand isn't huge, the pot is small, and he's unlikely to have many outs if he's behind.

If he checks to me on the turn, then I'm betting. Once he's bet (which is what I hoped to accomplish with the turn check), I don't see what a raise will do for me. He's already paying too much to draw. I'm not sure if there are many worse hands he'll call a raise with. If he's bluffing, he might fire again on the river, and he might call a river value bet with something like a queen.

There's also a possiblity that I'm being a little results-oriented. Villain mucked AJo.

intheflatfield
08-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I hate this line. I fold this most of the time from EP, but if I was to play it I would raise pf, I bet the flop prob 3/4 pot size bet. If I check on any street it's the turn. What possible hands do you have villain on at this point?

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this most of the time from EP

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my bad. I should pay more attention, PF raise is fine for 4 player.

bobman0330
08-02-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What possible hands do you have villain on at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say:
Aces, possibly as low as A6 or so, maybe lower
Queens as low as Q9ish
Medium/small PPs, including a set of 5s
Air

My default line here is bet/bet/check, but the more I think about it, the more it seems very likely to me that whenever I'm called after the turn, I'm a favorite to be behind. There's some chance he'll call the flop with a hand like KQ, but after the flop, I think he tosses most of the things i'm beating. I think keeping him in the lead is worth giving the turn free card, at least some of the time.