PDA

View Full Version : The Continuation Bet

08-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Recently I've found myself in a bit of a tailspil in the 10+1 SNGs. Too often, I'm crippled early on following a pre-flop raise on my part, a continuation bet, and then an oh damn, they called, let's bet some more bet.

I've been going through some posts, and I'm seeing somewhat of a split with regards to what to do when the flop doesn't hit you after a pre-flop raise.

I find myself in deep trouble, often, when I'm holding AK and raise pre-flop.

The flop comes, say, Q73 rainbow. I make the continuation bet. Two players fold, one calls.

If the turn's a blank, do I fire again? (I find that many 10+1 players will call with Ax, etc. so it presents a bit of a problem if I have no reads.)

Or should I have checked the flop in the first place in a multi-way pot?

Same idea, say I'm holding QQ, and the flop comes K94?

See what I'm saying?

Thanks

yid3655
08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
"I find myself in deep trouble, often, when I'm holding AK and raise pre-flop.

The flop comes, say, Q73 rainbow. I make the continuation bet. Two players fold, one calls."

This would suggest to me you arnt raising enough pre flop

golfcchs
08-01-2005, 09:24 PM
I used to have the same problem and found that you usually dont want to continue bet into 3 or more players. Also if you make sure you are raiseing quality hands in position you will not run into this problem.

For example if you do not you raise AQ, AJ, or pp below 9 in early and middle position you will face less tricky situation with continue betting.

lastchance
08-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Cont bets work best when you are betting into a lone player. Trying to get 2 people to fold is hard, and I don't do it, though some may. Trying to get 3 people to fold is bad.

Often times, you should check-fold QQ or AK if the flop misses you. Check-folding to an ace against multiple villains is not a bad idea.

SlackerMcFly
08-01-2005, 11:19 PM
This seems to me to be more of a position problem. You would bet/play AQ differently from UTG than from the button wouldn't you?

If you are hoping to get action from MP with KJ and weak raise with 4 or 5 left to act, you are destroying yourself. Same hand folded around to you in the CO or BB would be easier to play.

Look at some of your HHs and see if you are making continuation bets out of position. Examine your betting patterns for those hands and you will plug the leak.

Just a noob's opinion. Slacker

ldavidjm
08-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Agreed, I don't like continuation bets into 3 plays, I'll take shots at 2 because in the lower limits since manytimes people just like seeing flops in low limits and will give it up when they've missed.

If I raise PF with Queens, generally I'll be much more prone to take a shot at it with a K on the board than with an A just because the tendancy is for people to like playing their Aces. I bet Queens with 1 overcard into 2 or less players pretty close to 100% of the time though. If I'm called and I'm out of position I'll generally shutdown which sucks but its rare people are calling with stuff an unimproved AK is still beating. With the overcard on the board with Queens its more read dependant...

diconoclastx
08-02-2005, 12:27 AM
"The flop comes, say, Q73 rainbow. I make the continuation bet. Two players fold, one calls."

Oh boy. You make a continuation bet with AK unimproved in to a FIELD OF 4? It is OK to do this HU and maybe once in a while with 3 players. But never do it in to three players. Just CheckFold.

"If the turn's a blank, do I fire again? (I find that many 10+1 players will call with Ax, etc. so it presents a bit of a problem if I have no reads.)"

Fire again? Someone called u on Q73 rainbow. They aren't drawing. They hit. They aren't going anywhere. You are just spewing chips. Best to fold.