PDA

View Full Version : This is a bad push right?

golfcchs
08-01-2005, 07:46 PM
30+3
Big blind is to 300

UTG=2200
Hero=2800
SB=4200
BB=5400

Hero dealt 4-4

UTG folds
Hero goes all in

Table is pretty standard with AJ+ and pp being pushed by the big stacks.

At the time I thought it was good enough to push, but looking back I think its a bad play. Do you agree its a bad push and if so should I limp with 4-4 or fold?

blackaces13
08-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I think the blinds are right on the cusp of being too small for this play. If they were 300/600 this play becomes good IMO because when you win you gain 900 and that's almost 1/3 of your stack and because you're under a lot more pressure to play with blinds of that size.

As it is you're making a play that when called will leave you as either a huge underdog or a slim favorite, so you don't want to get called. But when the play works and they fold, which will usually happen, you only pick up 450. Also, you're betting into the big stacks who can call you, lose, and still be ok which may make them just a bit looser.

Seems like you're risking a bit too much to gain a bit too little on the bubble.

golfcchs
08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
So even though it is +EV in terms of chips it is to much of a risk of busting out with nothing to justify making this play

blackaces13
08-01-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So even though it is +EV in terms of chips it is to much of a risk of busting out with nothing to justify making this play

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it was +EV, though I suspect it might be. You can plug some numbers into an ICM calculator and see what you come up with. But as for bubble time in an SNG I'm not so sure that a small overlay in expectation necessarily justifies putting your tournament life on the line.

There is twice as much money at stake when going from 4th to 3rd as there is when going from 3rd to 2nd.

golfcchs
08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Okay so the push was bad. Now 2 questions first to a fold my 4's and second how much bigger of a pair do I need to push?

lastchance
08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay so the push was bad. Now 2 questions first to a fold my 4's and second how much bigger of a pair do I need to push?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you're attacking the two bigger stacks, so you need to fold some hands. I doubt I fold 66 though, and I don't think this push is that bad.

blackaces13
08-01-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay so the push was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the push is BAD. Like I said its right on the cusp IMO but for me its one of those borderline decisions that's just a little bit on the wrong side of the border.

I also don't think that going all in is mandatory just yet. Your "M" is above 5 and more importantly on the bubble I think if you can take a real shot at the pot w/o risking all your chips its preferable.

You'll have position on whomever calls you so you can make a smallish raise and plan on betting any flop if checked to.

psyduck
08-02-2005, 02:16 AM
If this push is wrong, then I'm making a lot of mistakes...

Anyone justify why this is wrong?

08-02-2005, 03:42 AM
If the blinds are reasonable players I think it is a clear push. However, if there's much chance of a spite call, it becomes a fold.

MagnoliasFM
08-02-2005, 03:45 AM
boderline between folding and calling, don't even think about limping though.

ilya
08-02-2005, 03:53 AM
This move is fairly profitable if the SB and BB are very tight, but it doesn't take all that much of a loosening of calling standards for it to become break-even/unprofitable. On balance I don't think it's quite enough to justify pushing when your stack is still very healthy and there is a shorter stack at the table. With 66 I push....though it's not much more profitable against tight opponents, it's notably less unprofitable against looser ones.

schwza
08-02-2005, 11:19 AM
are there antes? if so,

a) push
b) shame on you for not telling us.

schwza
08-02-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG=2200
Hero=2800
SB=4200
BB=5400

[/ QUOTE ]

one reason that pushing is not bad is that if you steal here, you'll have 3250, compared to utg's 1900 (after he posts his BB). this is a big enough lead that he'll feel pressure to play hands, rather than the horrid spot where you both fold down to T100 and pray for 3rd.

Moonsugar
08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Table is pretty standard with AJ+ and pp being pushed by the big stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, what are they calling with? That is the most important piece of info on deciding if to steal.

11t
08-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Insta push.

alexd231232
08-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Depends on the blinds and how they've been playing in the past. Also alot of it depends on how you've been playing in the past. Have you tried to steal blinds often from the button and been successful? Have you tried to steal and been caught but had a good hand(AJ,AT). If they've seen you with a good hand, they will probably fold but if they see you stealing repeatadly, they're more inclined to call with KJ or QJ, something you don't really want.
I'd probably just lay it down here though, but it all depends on the past play....