PDA

View Full Version : was this a bad move on my part?

orenthal
08-01-2005, 07:39 PM
9 people left in a $10+1 STT on party. blinds are 15/30. i have a stack of T1195 and the villian has a stack of T700 i am UTG+1 and get AJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. i raise to 100. folds to villian in SB who calls. flop is 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. villian checks, i bet T100, villian raises 400 and i push him all in.

bad move? this was in the first blind level so i didnt know much about villian.

TheSalche
08-01-2005, 07:42 PM
if hes got Kx, you have 12 outs so you're behind but its only 45/55 or so, if he has AK you have 9 outs so you have 35% chance of getting to your flush ... not the best time to get your money in, IMO its better to limp or fold AJs this early in the tourney as you may find yourself in a tough spot like this to be in and you don't have a read on your opponent

orenthal
08-01-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if hes got Kx, you have 12 outs so you're behind but its only 45/55 or so, if he has AK you have 9 outs so you have 35% chance of getting to your flush ... not the best time to get your money in, IMO its better to limp or fold AJs this early in the tourney as you may find yourself in a tough spot like this to be in and you don't have a read on your opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the way your thinking. generally this early i am extremely tight. not sure what made me decide to play this one preflop. that is part of my problem though, i do things that i dont really have a reason for.

TheSalche
08-01-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i like the way your thinking. generally this early i am extremely tight. not sure what made me decide to play this one preflop. that is part of my problem though, i do things that i dont really have a reason for.

[/ QUOTE ]

everybody makes mistakes, it takes a few times around for people to realize they need to take care with hands like AJ,KJ,AQ,KQ,JQ, etc ... we all do it every once in a while, but eventually it gets hammered into our heads which play is the right one

tigerite
08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Stop raising UTG with AJs, for a start off. This is a fold.

orenthal
08-01-2005, 08:11 PM
gotcha.

async
08-01-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop raising UTG with AJs, for a start off. This is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to hear how AJs is a fold in a 10+1 game. That sounds insane to me; AJs is a "tier 2" hand that is quite capable of getting you a double-through even in the early rounds of a 10+1 vs competition who won't fold a made flush against any bet if it's only a 3-flush on the board.

That said, do not RAISE with AJs. A lot of the strength of the hand comes from the ability to double through someone who will go all the way with the nut flush when someone makes a weaker flush. If you call, you'll get people limping behind you (in many cases, quite properly, since your call gives them pot odds to do so) with things like 67s, 78s; you don't want to drive those hands out. You can also double through hands like KQ when you make a straight against their 2-pair, and damage late position KJ, JT, AT, etc.

Adjust for the flavor of the table; if you're playing against a highly tight/aggressive table where you're likely to face a raise and people strongly avoid limping with weak hands, that might skew the play. Otherwise, you're certainly throwing away EV folding AJs at UTG+1 in this sort of game.

orenthal
08-01-2005, 08:55 PM
awesome feedback. thanks bud.

tigerite
08-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Because it's UTG. Do you understand position at all? Also, this is an 800 chip tournament. You just can't toss 15 chips into a pot hoping you'll get the odds to play it by people limping behind, or what not. For this kind of hand to be profitable it NEEDS other limpers (you even said so yourself). By limping it here you are not only leaving yourself open to be raised, but you have no idea if the rest of the table bar the blinds are going to fold, and if they do then your value has just gone anyway. It's just a leak on chips. Trust me.

async
08-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I like to think I grok something about position. Would you suggest never limping early period? Or only limping occasionally with AA/KK/AKs? Technically, we're talking about UTG+1, but say you're UTG. What's your raising/limping hand set look like?

lastchance
08-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Limp AQ along with most PP's here, (maybe fold 44-22), raise AK, AA-JJ. In a $11, no one knows how tight your range is.

I think it's close either way, limp or fold. Don't think the raise is a good idea because of the position.

I think flop play is fine.