PDA

View Full Version : When Events Really Make you Think!

11-24-2001, 01:18 AM
Hello To all,

I am sure that the recent events of terrorism have touched everyone's lives here in some way or another. We were all horrified when we saw on TV the video of the World Trade Center come crashing down. We were all shocked when our own Pentagon was hit by a terrorist act.... We now get to deal with some asshole(s) who seem to like poisoning the population with Anthrax.

For those of you who don't know me, I have been posting on 2+2 for a while now, but much more in the last 4-5 months however. I have always posted under CJ ( cause that's the initials I have always used to wait for a game ) but my real name is Chris ( middle is John.. that's where the J comes from ) I am like most of us here. I like the game of Poker and I try to become the best player I possibly can be.....

I live in that small town of Oxford Connecticut that the most recent victim of Inhalation Anthrax lived in. The CDC and FBI are currently blaming 'cross mail contamination' as the likely source of her Anthrax. The CDC and FBI are telling our small town of people not to worry or panic, and I agree, but at the same time... I have to stop and think that ALL of MY mail takes that EXACT same route as hers does.

The next time I take a bad beat in poker, and I am serious about this, Instead of getting upset ( which is sometimes hard to do as you know ), I am going to say a little prayer to give thanks for my health ( this in itself is a miracle cause I am not very religious )

I know this is an old cliche, but trust me on this one. If it can happen in Oxford, a town that has 1 traffic light, no High School; not even a fast food restaurant.. It CAN happen anywhere.

Just something for everyone to ponder,

Good Health To All,

CJ

11-24-2001, 02:54 AM
Just wondering what you're going to do next time you win a pot.

11-24-2001, 04:45 PM
Sorry if it seemed I was discounting your sincerity on this. Not my intention to make fun of you. I just couldn't get the image of you losing a pot, saying a prayer, then winning a pot out of my mind, and the natural question was too compelling to resist.

12-01-2001, 06:07 AM
M,

No apologies neccessary. Perhaps my intent of the post should have been clearer. All I meant was that the next time we take a bad beat or get a run of real shitty cards, instead of getting pissed off or cursing the poker gods, just be thankful for what we do have.. Our health.

Later,

CJ

12-01-2001, 11:26 AM
No, your intent was clear. I should have responded to it, then made it more obvious that I was making a joke. I usually don't like to put smileys after a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor, but the context of this was such that without something like that, or at least some acknowledgement of your points, it came across as rather insensitive. Besides even under ideal conditions it may have been a bad joke. So the apology stands.