PDA

View Full Version : lots of system lag, need advice

lacky
08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
I have a less than year old Dell Dimension 8400 pentium 4 3ghz, 2 gig ram.

When I run pokertracker, playerveiw, and 8 to 12 tables i get lag, and the processer is maxed out at 100% most of the time. I added a raptor drive and moved all the pt databases onto it, and added 1 gig of ram to bring it up to the 2 it has now.

edit-Forgot to mention I have tons of data, TONS, which is the problem, but I still need a solution that doesnt involve getting rid of the data!

I have no problem buying a new system if neccesary, but I need to figure this out. As far as other programs running, i generally have AIM on, and norton antivirous and microsoft antispyware run in the background that I know of.
But, as I right this I have a notepad open and this browser and it shows 50 processes running, but zero cpu usage and commit charge: 378m/4966m, if any of that helps.

Any tips or ideas or even past posts that I'm not finding that I can search for are all welcome.

Steve

bort411
08-02-2005, 02:22 AM
A few questions:

How often are you importing to PT?
How often do you defragment your HD?
What's your virtual memory setup?
Windows XP, yes?
How many DBs are we talking about, and how big are they (individually and combined)?
Is your anivirus actively scanning (by that I mean continually examining your files, rather than just once a day or weekly?
Have you looked into setting priorities for different programs?

lacky
08-02-2005, 04:58 AM
I just took 2nd in the party super, so I'm fried, but I will answer all this tommarow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

bort411
08-02-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just took 2nd in the party super, so I'm fried, but I will answer all this tommarow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats, but I should warn you that I charge $700/hr for my help. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

zer0 cool
08-02-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as other programs running, i generally have AIM on, and norton antivirous and microsoft antispyware run in the background that I know of.

[/ QUOTE ]

iTunes is a notorious resource hog. Winamp5 is better, but still drags. Actually, and mp3 player released recently is going to have so many gadgets that it'll slow you down.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a less than year old Dell Dimension 8400 pentium 4 3ghz, 2 gig ram.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem buying a new system if neccesary

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure this sweet machine isn't gonna go to waste?