PDA

View Full Version : What is your most reliable tell?

The Absurdist
08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Not betting patterns, not "weak means strong and strong means weak" or any other vague generalization.

What observable physical behavior reveals the most information about the strength or weakness of your opponent's hand?

intheflatfield
08-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Whenver I get pocket Aces, Steam comes out of my ears and my head starts to autorotate. Other than that I am pretty tell clean...

JinX11
08-01-2005, 05:51 PM
The trembling hand.

spaminator101
08-01-2005, 05:51 PM
idk my tells but from others when an opponent pushes his chips into the pot with a little extra emphasis they are week

intheflatfield
08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I do this sometimes w/ weak hands as well, because sometimes I have the trembling problem as well.

So other than that and the Spinning head thing, I'm pretty good to go..

The Absurdist
08-01-2005, 05:58 PM
when they have a strong hand. I have seen even very good opponents do this.

Master5hake
08-01-2005, 06:04 PM
shaking hands meaning strength - I've noticed myself shaking on huge pots online when I have a monster, and playing NL live opening a pot for a raise, if you see someone preparing to reraise with shaking hands, they love their hand - they are shaking with the anticipation of winning a huge pot mixed with the fear of the horrible beat they may end up taking

Argus
08-01-2005, 06:05 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The trembling hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely. Probably the only one I'll trust the first time I see a player demonstrate it.

Ricardido
08-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Trembling hand is a good one- I have a weirder one though- the vein in my neck goes crazy when im on a ridiculous bluff or have something huge- need to control that.

bobdibble
08-01-2005, 06:15 PM
The most reliable tell is when you look left and see that someone is about to muck.

bobdibble
08-01-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The trembling hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely. Probably the only one I'll trust the first time I see a player demonstrate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be careful with this one. It only indicates how strong they think their hand is, not how strong it actually is. I've seen a new player tremble like that pre-flop with KJo in early position.

Altaslim
08-01-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The most reliable tell is when you look left and see that someone is about to muck. [/quote

This is the only one I put much faith in.

erby
08-01-2005, 06:42 PM
i like the guy who shows his buddy his cards...then his buddy makes a face like he has a monster...morons

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

csuf_gambler
08-01-2005, 07:57 PM
this one is pretty good. when someone shakes their head in disgust then bets or raises. the most retarded tell ever. it's like if you don't like your hand then why the hell are you betting/raising?

whiskeytown
08-01-2005, 08:24 PM
when I see 3 of a suit on the board, and they look at their hole cards again, In my experience, about 90 percent of the time they don't have the flush yet.

RB

whiskeytown
08-01-2005, 08:25 PM
yah, the shrug bet/raise just shouts danger....

RB

JihadOnTheRiver
08-01-2005, 08:28 PM
"Oh is it my turn?" BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHA&gt;...

hotsauce615
08-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I feel like when someone has a good hand they tend to always look right at their chips.

Joshssj4
08-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I notice when usually passive players become extremely interested in whos turn it is, or what bet someone has made they usually have a big hand. I see this all the time.

Swedebubba
08-02-2005, 03:48 AM
One of the most reliable for my although I don't see it often enough to be much use is when a guy is pickin his nose his hand is usually very weak /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SinCityGuy
08-02-2005, 07:18 AM
I don't play brick &amp; mortar anymore, but a very reliable one was when my opponent scrunched around in his seat and leaned forward, he usually had a very strong hand.

erby
08-02-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the most reliable for my although I don't see it often enough to be much use is when a guy is pickin his nose his hand is usually very weak /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...you gotta be careful here...if he eats it, he's got a monster...

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

08-02-2005, 10:18 AM
I like the deep stare down for beginners, thats an easy tell that theyre weak or the lean back in the chair for when theyre strong...

Mister Z
08-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Players checking their hole cards is usually pretty accurate, especially on suited boards, but it can go the other way too if an opponent is trying to look weak. Also I like to look at the players after the flop. Depending on the player, people usually look away pretty fast if they have a hand, and stare at the flop when they have a weak hand. I think they're double checking to see if they have any straight or flush possibilities.

spaminator101
08-02-2005, 01:05 PM
i see this all the time in my home game

Lawrence Ng
08-02-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't play brick &amp; mortar anymore, but a very reliable one was when my opponent scrunched around in his seat and leaned forward, he usually had a very strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch for breathing from pros. They often give the strength of their hands away from the way they breathe.

From recreational players, new players I watch more for the way they bet their chips (nicely stacked, or thrown out in a mess). This is a good tell to get the strength of their hand.

Lawrence

4thstreetpete
08-02-2005, 07:09 PM
The funniest tell I've ever seen in my life was when I was playing one day and the hand got heads up. A very solid player who's in our regular game and a complete donk who is still kinda new to poker.

The river card fell and the donk looked at his hand and checked it again to make sure and then all of a sudden went "what tha..!" and completely fell backwards on his chair and landed on the floor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL!!! the whole table went completely crazy.

The other player looked at his hand and thought about it for a LONG time but had to call to see what he had. Turned out the donk hit his inside gut card for a royal flush. LOL. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
One tell that I find very reliable is if a player is singing, humming, whistling, or anything of that nature, they are probably bluffing. I've heard even Jack Strauss had this tell. Also, just watching a person's facial expressions for either happiness or disappointment is generally a good tell among casual players. Looking at or moving towards chips indicates strength, but other times it may only indicate a bluff coming up. Moving to fold cards will mean weakness from a bad player, but could be an act if a good player is doing it. Shaking hands is reliable because it's an involunary act.

ZenMusician
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM
The retiree crowd has a favorite:

Flop: Ah Ad Ac
Retiree: "Who's got the ace?" &lt;---HAS THE ACE

Flop: 4c 4h 6x Turn: 4d
Retiree: "Someone's got that four!" &lt;---HAS THE FOUR

-ZEN

08-03-2005, 12:53 AM
when they go to bet real fast then catch themselves and tryt o check real fast thinking oyu didn't see them. I know this is basicaly only with fish but it is my favorite.

Jack

Rotterdaum
08-03-2005, 03:06 AM
What about the involuntary smile or a chuckle if you study the player carefully?

I think it means a good hand, at least for me, when I give this tell in games with my friends.

Anyone have a different experience with it?

Shaun
08-03-2005, 04:13 AM
When players take a long time stacking and restacking chips in no limit when they are betting on the end. It is usually a bluff the first time you see it.

Peter
08-03-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The trembling hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be careful with this one. It only indicates how strong they think their hand is, not how strong it actually is. I've seen a new player tremble like that pre-flop with KJo in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a really new player I don't think it means anything.
When I went to Vegas last year it was my first time in a B&amp;M room and I think that I had a trembling hand every time I put in a bet for the first week, no matter what I had.

Peter

diebitter
08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If it's a really new player I don't think it means anything.
When I went to Vegas last year it was my first time in a B&amp;M room and I think that I had a trembling hand every time I put in a bet for the first week, no matter what I had.
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had this in my first few sessions. I found it real embarrassing, as I was only playing 2/4. Shaky hands when calling $2 is really lame...

stinkypete
08-03-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The retiree crowd has a favorite:

Flop: Ah Ad Ac
Retiree: "Who's got the ace?" &lt;---HAS THE ACE

Flop: 4c 4h 6x Turn: 4d
Retiree: "Someone's got that four!" &lt;---HAS THE FOUR

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good one to use as a reverse tell when you dont have the quads and want to represent it. the only problem is it doesnt work if someone else has it.

imported_Dozer
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
What about when a player has his hands on his cards after he bets? Isn't that a sign of a bad hand?

Also, what about a player who looks at his chips (counting them) before he bets? A guy I play with a lot does this, and usually it means he has a nice hand. The same guy also stares through the flop when he has a nice hand, not when he misses like I expect.

08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
The closer someone's cards get to their chips the stronger they are (as if they are trying to protect the cards) as opposed to someone who doesn't care where there cards are on the table (weak).