PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate Investing

Nato76
08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Looking for some resources on investing in real estate. Any good forums or websites? What books should I read on this topic? Thanks.

squiffy
08-09-2005, 04:08 AM
www.dataquick.com (http://www.dataquick.com) has some good stats, though mainly for California I may be off on the address. You can do a search for dataquick.

Investing in Real Estate 3rd ed. by Andrew McLean is outstanding for basics.

And How to Profit from the Coming Real Estate Bust by John Rubino is very interesting. I don't agree with his views 100%, but the analysis is most helpful.

Feel free to post more questions. I am big into stocks and real estate.

Bought my first home in Texas back in 1993. Did fine, but TX real estate really hasn't taken off like CA or NY real estate.

Bought my second home in Fresno in 2002. In three years it has gone from 200K to about 400K. Now I am terrified it will drop back down substantially, as I think the market is hugely overvalued.

But not much I can do. Unlike a stock, I really cannot sell this house and move. I have a decent job here and don't want to move elsewhere. Selling incurs substantial trading costs (unlike stock trades). Though I would not pay tax on the gain as I have lived in it for 2 years out of the last 5. That is a huge advantage of the single family home. Tax free appreciation and tax free sale, up to certain limits.

Though I think that liberal tax law will lead to some overly frothy markets.

lastsamurai
08-09-2005, 05:01 AM
OH yeah..keep up with what greenspan does with interest rates.... watch out for the bubble to burst... That four eyed coke bottled glasses MF dont care about Real Estate and the Stock Market.