PDA

View Full Version : Who's The Best Live Rock Band In The World Right Now?

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 04:58 PM

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Is this a joke?

MasterShakes
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

lucas9000
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

and i'll add -> /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it's a two-horse race.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who, somebody else versus a different somebody else?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-01-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Between Radiohead and the field (other)?

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
No taste... just sad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

stabn
08-01-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Between Radiohead and the field (other)?

[/ QUOTE ]

At least no one could have guessed the bands he was going to list.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:06 PM
i just want to state right now that anyone who votes for u2 should seriously consider...uh...attending some different concerts.

IndieMatty
08-01-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just want to state right now that anyone who votes for u2 should seriously consider...uh...attending some different concerts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see them on entourage last night? They were awesome!!!

Oh wait, no, they are the most overrated [censored] band ever.

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Rush is there because of the length of show they put on (typically 3 hours), and because you can make an argument for the three musicians in the band being the absolute best at the instruments they play.

Springsteen is there because he's been a live rock legend for 25 years now, and because it's a huge band of great musicians who put on a really long show.

Pearl Jam is there because they consistently put out a very long, completely unpredictable setlist (they did three nights in Boston with only one song repeated, playing something like 8 hours of music over the three nights).

Radiohead and U2 are the only two I had to stretch to put on the list. They don't do anything remarkable with their live show in my opinion. Radiohead is better in the studio, and U2's shows are pretty repetitive.

battschr
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I have The White Stripes live on dvd, and am going to see them in person on the 24th...I couldn't be more excited about the show.

yoadrians
08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I'll probably get totally flamed for this, but I've seen several of the bands listed here, and I must say that Metallica - on their worst day - puts on a way better live show.

Metallica. And it's not even close.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll probably get totally flamed for this, but I've seen several of the bands listed here, and I must say that Metallica - on their worst day - puts on a way better live show.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you talking about metallica now or pre-1990 metallica?

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Metallica would belong on this list when they were touring for the Black Album and earlier. Now, their live show has become pretty tired.

razor
08-01-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should try attending a U2 concert.

I get that some (many) people don't like them... I get that some (many) people are into the SUPER DUPER WAY KOOL ONLY THE SOPHISTICATED TRUELY GET IT bands and music, but suggesting U2 suck live probably says more about your judgement then anything else... but I could be wrong...

Best Concert I've seen was U2 - Elavation Live 2001 - Hamilton, Ontario (and it's not even close)

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Two that should be on the list
Jimmy Buffet
ZZ Top

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two that should be on the list
Jimmy Buffet
ZZ Top

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling Jimmy Buffet "rock" is a stretch. I know nothing about ZZ Top live.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get that some (many) people don't like them... I get that some (many) people are into the SUPER DUPER WAY KOOL ONLY THE SOPHISTICATED TRUELY GET IT bands and music, but suggesting U2 suck live probably says more about your judgement then anything else... but I could be wrong...

Best Concert I've seen was U2 - Elavation Live 2001 - Hamilton, Ontario (and it's not even close)

[/ QUOTE ]

when did i say (or "suggest") that u2 sucks live? i am just saying that they're clearly not THE best in the world right now. there's a huge difference between saying that and saying that they "suck live." your post says more about your reading comprehension than anything else...but i could be wrong...

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling Jimmy Buffet "rock" is a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it's a great show.

ChoicestHops
08-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Tool.

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when did i say (or "suggest") that u2 sucks live? i am just saying that they're clearly not THE best in the world right now. there's a huge difference between saying that and saying that they "suck live." your post says more about your reading comprehension than anything else...but i could be wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, U2 definitely doesn't suck. They're also definitely not the best live rock band in the world right now. Playing nearly the exact same setlist and saying nearly the exact same things to the audience every night is pretty lame when you have as huge of a catalog to work with as they do.

SL__72
08-01-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't get to a ton of shows, but I imagine there are many better live performers out there...

Metallica is fun live... Ozzie was good... SOTD was suprising awesome and Tool has to be the best I've seen.

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost put them on the list. The tour they put on for Lateralus was excellent.

I also almost put on Nine Inch Nails, but from what I've seen, they're more about lighting effects than they are about the music.

MoreWineII
08-01-2005, 05:30 PM
I voted U2. While I've never seen them live in person, I really enjoy several of their live songs. I don't care if they're mainstream. I don't care if every teenage girl in this country listens to them. I don't care if their guitar riffs are uncomplicated. I don't care that they aren't "underground" or "on the cutting edge of music." I don't care if liking them makes me not cool.

I like their music and I have since grade school, it's just that simple.

That said, I probably wouldn't pay to see them live. At this point, I think they're just too much a moneymaking machine to really do anything exciting. I'm not much of a concert guy though anyway. I'd rather sit in my room completely stoned and listen to a CD.

AIC live was probably [censored] sweet live too, but I never got the chance. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

And I'm secretly hoping Petty in the gorge is gonna be my new favorite concert evar.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
fwiw i am tempted to say that as far as "rock" bands NOW, that i've seen live, polyphonic spree is way near the top of the list for me. i might think of another that's better, but for now polyphonic spree is the best that comes to mind.

J_V
08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
You are the definition of a music tool.

razor
08-01-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well then your post contained a different tone than you might have intended.

it's a reasonable inference based on your wording...

someone who says

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is more likely implying U2 sucks live

then U2 is a great live band but there are some new bands out there that are awesome live

shadow29
08-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Elvis Costello puts on an amazing live show. He doesn't have it this go-round, but he used to have this wheel on stage where audience-members would go up and spin it and it would click to a song of his. Then they would tell him what style to play it in, reggae for example and he would do it on the spot. A truly incredible musician.

He has Emmylou Harris on tour with him this time. She's pretty phenomenal too.

Oh and he has a hot (and talented) wife.

gulebjorn
08-01-2005, 05:34 PM
The Supersuckers

touchfaith
08-01-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rush is there because of the length of show they put on (typically 3 hours), and because you can make an argument for the three musicians in the band being the absolute best at the instruments they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactely, although I wouldn't personally put Alex up in that debate. He is great, but I'm not sure that he would survive outside of the band.

Ghetty Lee is by far and away the greatest bassist I have ever seen live (I've seen YES). Anyone that doubts this need only watch/listen to Freewill live. It is one of the fastest and cleanest bass performances ever. Throw in the fact that he sings during it and...

Neil Peart requires no further introduction. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I was fairly shocked to see RUSH on this list when I opened it. Nice to see someone with good taste.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
someone who says

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then U2 is a great live band but there are some new bands out there that are awesome live

[/ QUOTE ]

that's ridiculous.

J_V
08-01-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted U2. While I've never seen them live in person, I really enjoy several of their live songs. I don't care if they're mainstream. I don't care if every teenage girl in this country listens to them. I don't care if their guitar riffs are uncomplicated. I don't care that maybe they aren't "underground" or "on the cutting edge of music." I don't care if liking them makes me "not cool."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god. Very refreshing. Too many losers get their entire identity from music. Things leads to them doing anything possible to appear cool musically, because hey that's what makes up their entire being. It's funny watching people get noticeably mad when you say you like a group like U2.

battschr
08-01-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was fairly shocked to see RUSH on this list when I opened it. Nice to see someone with good taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, man I don't get Rush.....at all....what am I missing here/why do I suck?

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are the definition of a music tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? because i didn't name a band that you like? by saying this you're really baring your insecurity for all to see. that's brave of you, and i commend you. perhaps oprah will feature your tale of courage in an upcoming show.

razor
08-01-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
someone who says

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all.

mmbt0ne
08-01-2005, 05:39 PM
You people take music too religiously.

Andrew.W.K.

DasLeben
08-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Add another one for Rush. As someone else said above, it's nice to see that someone has good taste. Alex Lifeson shreds, Geddy Lee is one of the best bassists (if not THE best) I've ever heard, and Neil Peart, well, he's a god.

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Andrew.W.K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love reading the rants on his website... makes me laugh every single time.

touchfaith
08-01-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, man I don't get Rush.....at all....what am I missing here/why do I suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really all about Neil Peart when explaining RUSH's success.

Neil Peart is probably one of the most under rated writers in history. I'm actually surprised that more of the sci-fi/LOTR croud do not mention his writing. He writes stories with a futuristic twist and often times, they even span multiple albums. He is incredibly imaginative with both his writing and drumming.

Throw in the fact that they have timing, timing, timing. The band simply has great timing. Some of the cleanest starts/stops in the business.

When I first saw them live, back around 84 or so probably, you could bearly tell they where playing live...It was that clean.

Incredible band.

mmbt0ne
08-01-2005, 05:46 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

Andrew.W.K.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, at a concert, I want to go crazy and have fun. What better place than a guy who has the word "Party" in almost all his song title?

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Andrew.W.K.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever read the "interview" he did with the onion? it was very awesome.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Too many losers get their entire identity from music. Things leads to them doing anything possible to appear cool musically, because hey that's what makes up their entire being.

[/ QUOTE ]

too many morons automatically assume this just because someone likes an obscure/indie/etc band. can't people just like the music that sounds good to them without clods like you jumping to these ridiculous conclusions???

DasLeben
08-01-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Neil Peart is probably one of the most under rated writers in history. I'm actually surprised that more of the sci-fi/LOTR croud do not mention his writing. He writes stories with a futuristic twist and often times, they even span multiple albums. He is incredibly imaginative with both his writing and drumming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. There are so many amazing songs/sagas that he's written. A few that stick out in my head: 2112, Xanadu, the Cygnus/Hemispheres storyline, etc. etc.

As far as drumming goes, he's simply amazing. The first time I saw 'The Rhythm Method' being played, my jaw dropped. There are times when you just can't believe that it's just one man. When he started doing that song with a bit of a twist ('O Baterista'), I was just even more amazed.

You're right. Incredible band.

daryn
08-01-2005, 06:07 PM
pj baby

daryn
08-01-2005, 06:07 PM
the fact that radiohead leads the choices is laughable. it almost makes me think that people didn't read the question.

DasLeben
08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
By the way, this discussion made me throw on A Farewell to Kings. Look what you did...I hope you all are happy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MoreWineII
08-01-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that radiohead leads the choices is laughable. it almost makes me think that people didn't read the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge Radiohead following here that I don't even pretend to understand.

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 06:09 PM
This one is definitely in the running for worst poll ever.

IndieMatty
08-01-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Andrew.W.K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again. You win.

touchfaith
08-01-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, this discussion made me throw on A Farewell to Kings. Look what you did...I hope you all are happy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I fired up La Ville Strangiato /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Supersuckers

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great answer.

Have you seen both their rock and country shows?

hogua
08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Here's a few that I've seen recently that should/could be on this list too:

Metallica

Foo Fighter

Velvet Revolver (if they're not too wasted. seen then wasted and not so wasted)

No Doubt - not really rock but awesome live

Queens of the Stone Age (although I haven't seen them with new members yet)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Bad Religion

Social Distortion

The Killers

Cyprus Hill (not rock but incredible)

Green Day

Pennywise

Oh does Radiohead even count? They do like one to two shows a year (in the US at least). To be the best live band, don't you have to play live a few more times than that?

thatpfunk
08-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Ween was a damn fun time.

RunDownHouse
08-01-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To be the best live band, don't you have to play live a few more times than that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure to be the best live band, you have to put on the best live show.

My vote goes to 2 Skinnee Js. They're not rock, but I don't know what the hell else they are.

kitaristi0
08-01-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PITTM
08-01-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
someone who says

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is. you imply that since his comment has to either be completely negative about U2 or completely positive about U2. the thing people dont get is that U2 isnt even close to one of the best bands theyll ever see. that doesnt mean anyone here HATES U2. Hype has turned an average band into gods...

rj

PITTM
08-01-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KJS
08-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Why do people only look at the biggest, most popular bands for polls like this? Doesn't anyone here appreciate music that is not made by famous people? Christ.

The best rock and roll bands in the world, IMO, are made up of young, hungry folks who put all the passion and energy of youth into creating frenetic, honest, loud, from the heart, uncorrupted by money and label pressures, rock.

It is not music played by wealthy, egomaniacal, don't have to struggle for anything in life, old men.

Open your f'in eyes people. There is more to music that what you find at WalMart.

KJS

razor
08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes it is. you imply that since his comment has to either be completely negative about U2 or completely positive about U2. the thing people dont get is that U2 isnt even close to one of the best bands theyll ever see. that doesnt mean anyone here HATES U2. Hype has turned an average band into gods...

[/ QUOTE ]

this is largely incoherent...

touchfaith
08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people only look at the biggest, most popular bands for polls like this? Doesn't anyone here appreciate music that is not made by famous people? Christ.

The best rock and roll bands in the world, IMO, are made up of young, hungry folks who put all the passion and energy of youth into creating frenetic, honest, loud, from the heart, uncorrupted by money and label pressures, rock.

It is not music played by wealthy, egomaniacal, don't have to struggle for anything in life, old men.

Open your f'in eyes people. There is more to music that what you find at WalMart.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a failed band huh?

Crveballin
08-01-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My vote goes to 2 Skinnee Js. They're not rock, but I don't know what the hell else they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pretty funny on stage. I wouldnt say best but a damn good show none the less. First time Ive ever seen two guys in a bunny costume on stage.

Dominic
08-01-2005, 09:59 PM
do they be alive or can they be dead?

Dominic
08-01-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dick.

TimTimSalabim
08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I fired up La Ville Strangiato /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Barchetta for me.

Mason Hellmuth
08-01-2005, 10:10 PM
A year ago, the answer was Guided By Voices.

Now that they broke up, I'll go with Andrew W.K.

ILL34GL3
08-01-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm not even close to being a big metal fan but I went to a Slayer concert once and it was damned good.

Ween shows are the best though. Most of the crowd knows the songs by heart.

jokerthief
08-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Not a "rock" band but the best live band playing now is Dave Matthews Band. I don't listen to any of their studio albums, only live discs.

Daliman
08-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.

MasterShakes
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pj baby

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. I can't believe it took this long.

moondogg
08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I voted U2. While I've never seen them live in person, I really enjoy several of their live songs. I don't care if they're mainstream. I don't care if every teenage girl in this country listens to them. I don't care if their guitar riffs are uncomplicated. I don't care that maybe they aren't "underground" or "on the cutting edge of music." I don't care if liking them makes me "not cool."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god. Very refreshing. Too many losers get their entire identity from music. Things leads to them doing anything possible to appear cool musically, because hey that's what makes up their entire being. It's funny watching people get noticeably mad when you say you like a group like U2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I grew up with U2, and I like their old stuff, and their new stuff is pretty catchy.

That doesn't change the fact that I f'n hate U2 and hope they would be locked in a Siberian gulag for 20 years.

I'm not an indie music fan, but U2 is grossly overexposed now. Every goddamn station is playing them constantly, from the "new music" stations to the "classic rock".

Their old stuff is classic, without a doubt. Their new stuff is good, and some of it has the potential to be classic. But if I hear "Vertigo" one more time, or hear one more self-righteous speech, I going to fly to Ireland and beat those self-righteous teabaggers to death with their own overpriced instruments.

Edit: And yes, this is horrible, this poll.

NoTalent
08-01-2005, 10:50 PM
I'll put in my vote for Muse.

The show I saw was just amazing and the Hulabaloo in Paris I saw on DVD was very good too.

raisins
08-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Ween shows are great. They have an incredible range of genres and manage to make it all work in their live shows. Ween also does the best covers bar none. The only mark against them is they insist on playing their joke songs: HIV/AIDS, Mister have you seen my pony?, etc. For those who haven't heard of this "obscure" band you can check them out free at ween radio (http://www.weenradio.com).

Best shows I ever saw, this was back in the day so it's not in contention, were the Butthole Surfers. Best psychedelic band ever.

raisins

DasLeben
08-02-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is ridiculous. Get off your high horse.

beckham9
08-02-2005, 12:31 AM
I must say that the ROlling Stones are awesome now....and that 25 years ago they blew everything away. Mick Jaggar playing with the giant inflatable penis on stage... how can you beat that?

Mason Hellmuth
08-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Muse is great live as well. When I saw them, I thought they had a pre-recorded backing track for the synth lines, but in the Live 8 footage from Paris it looks like the bassist actually plays that stuff. [censored] sweet.

KJS
08-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Never been in a band. How does one define this failure? Not getting filthy rich? If so, all my favorite bands are failures, because they do it mostly for the love of their art, and any $ they get is a welcome addition.

KJS

KJS
08-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Why is it ridiculous? You have 2 choices in the world when it comes to art: get into that by people who do it for love or those who do it for money. Which do think will represent the better aspects of the craft? For me it is the former. Does that mean all art that pays well is created by talentless people and sucks? No. Does it mean that all art made by hungry artists is better? No. Both camps can produce greatness, IMO. But when it comes to things like radio play, video play, artist promotion, etc.. the big $ artists have a leg up because of the money their labels have.

Then people jump from bands being big and famous enough to play coliseums and be on heavy Clear Channel rotation and think that equals greatness. It doesn't, it equals exposure. Sure, some of those super famous bands have a lot of talent, but I could find you plenty of others that would be just as famous with that much exposure. But perhaps they don't seek it or want it. Does that mean that they are not as good? No, it just means they don't show up on silly polls like "Best Rock and Roll Band".

KJS

KDawgCometh
08-02-2005, 01:13 AM
if you're gonna have a band that is broken up like radiohead, then Phish is honestly a glaring omission in this poll, but like El Diablo said: this is the worst run poll ever

DasLeben
08-02-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then people jump from bands being big and famous enough to play coliseums and be on heavy Clear Channel rotation and think that equals greatness. It doesn't, it equals exposure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I do agree with. If this was the intent of your original post, then I'm sorry if there was some miscommunication there.

However, I do want to point out that not all of these bands on this poll are big simply because of exposure. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened this thread to see that Rush was on the list. The musicians that make up the band are well known as some of the most talented in their craft. They made it big by being an amazing band. Of course I'm biased, but their talent is generally acknowledged by non-Rush fans as well.

At any rate, I'm sure people can come up with reasoning for other bands on this list as well.

daveymck
08-02-2005, 04:52 AM
For consistantly good live shows has to be Metallica and Therapy? for me, even on the last tour metallica were fantastic and playing the older heavier stuff didnt sound tired to me.

Maiden another good older band still touring and putting on some good shows, Slayer as well although their set can be boring at times.

The Killers seemed pretty good at Glastonbury.

diebitter
08-02-2005, 04:52 AM
The Who, if Live8 was anything to go by

daveymck
08-02-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Pink Floyds last song was way better than anything the Who did that day.

nubs
08-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Flogging Molly

I went to a concert that had Andrew WK co-headlining with Flogging Molly. Yes Andrew WK was great but Flogging Molly was far superior. Just as good when I saw them for the second time, I can't believe no one else has mentioned them.

diebitter
08-02-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Pink Floyds last song was way better than anything the Who did that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Wow! I didn't catch the Floyd, but have it recorded. I'm gonna watch their set as soon as I get home. tnx.

ChipWrecked
08-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Gwar.

lucas9000
08-02-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're gonna have a band that is broken up like radiohead, then Phish is honestly a glaring omission in this poll, but like El Diablo said: this is the worst run poll ever

[/ QUOTE ]

the subject of the thread specifies "right now"

if this thread was set in 1993-95, phish might be the winner imo.

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Calling Jimmy Buffet "rock" is a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it's a great show.

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the best shows I ever saw: Jimmy buffet with the Violent Femmes /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw three of The Who's "final" tours. They were o.k. Not best live show. Not even close.

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Cowboy Mouth is a great live show. At least it used to be. I haven't seen them in a few years.

KJS
08-02-2005, 01:19 PM
The sin of this poll was omission. I can see why someone would think all these bands belong. But my point is why only pick from the tip of the iceberg, popularity-wise? For me, rock and roll is about an infectious kind of energy that does not translate to a choreographed, stadium-sized show. It's about being a hot, sweaty environment less than 50 feet away from the band and sharing in the energy that they exude. The bands who are best in that environment are who I would put on this poll.

Like: The Spits, Jucifer, High on Fire, Man or Astroman? (but it has been years since I saw them), Bloodhag, The Queers.

KJS

turnipmonster
08-02-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and because you can make an argument for the three musicians in the band being the absolute best at the instruments they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wouldn't be a very good argument!

gulebjorn
08-02-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Supersuckers

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great answer.

Have you seen both their rock and country shows?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a few rock shows. I don't think they've ever done a country show in europe yet. I have the Eddie Spagetti album though, and it's awesome. I heard their "Big Show" they do in the States is great too.

turnipmonster
08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
har mar superstar.

mmbt0ne
08-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Man or Astroman?

[/ QUOTE ]

Woooooooow. Blast from the past.

Laomedon
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
String Cheese Incident, and it's not close.

Check them out you pansies... (http://www.stringcheeseincident.com)

MasterShakes
08-02-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Radiohead isn't broken up. They're simply not touring right now. A band that is working on a new album isn't broken up.

2) Phish is broken up, officially, and very explicitly.

3) The poll says "right now," indicating that the band needs to still officially be together right now.

Therefore, logic dictates Radiohead's inclusion in the poll, while Phish is left off. Simple enough?

MasterShakes
08-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Also, for those who said, "worst poll ever" or whatever, and complained about who I included/did not include, I'd like to point out that more than half the people who voted think that one of the bands I put up there is better than the field.

Bands I specifically don't think are even remotely in contention for being the best live rock band in the world right now: Metallica, Coldplay, Ween, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Foo Fighters, the White Stripes, Gwar, Andrew W.K., ACDC, and probably several others I'm forgetting.

Bands I'm specifically sorry that I left off now that they've been mentioned: Tool.

Bands that are in contention for being the best live rock band of all time, but are not currently in contention for best live rock band right now: Phish, the Who, the Grateful Dead, the Rolling Stones.

New001
08-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Of those listed, I've seen Radiohead once and Pearl Jam a number of times (including the acoustic show they put on CD). Pearl Jam is incredible every time, and Radiohead was only just good.

touchfaith
08-02-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...ACDC...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give my left nut (and it's huge) to see AC/DC live with Bon Scott again...

DasLeben
08-02-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and because you can make an argument for the three musicians in the band being the absolute best at the instruments they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

it would be a very good argument!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I'm doing that a lot today. C'mon guys, get your [censored] in gear. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I'm doing that a lot today. C'mon guys, get your [censored] in gear. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really just stop now.

DasLeben
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really just tell this clown off.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Son.

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Son.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not getting any better.

DasLeben
08-02-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Son.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking?

I can do this all day until I get veteran. Holla.

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Son.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking?

I can do this all day until I get veteran. Holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what this means.

Benal
08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gwar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah. You beat me to it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

zephed
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]
You are wrong.

None of this matters.

zephed
08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Bump.

The White Stripes.

BeerMoney
08-18-2005, 12:09 PM
there are none.

craig r
08-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Well, I am sure my list won't come to a suprise to anybody, but in no particular order:

Fugazi
Social Distortion (I waited 15 years to see them and did finally about 2 months ago)
Bright Eyes
The Reverend Horton Heat
Shellac

craig

KDawgCometh
08-19-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
String Cheese Incident, and it's not close.

Check them out you pansies... (http://www.stringcheeseincident.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

not much of a string cheese fan, bluegrass has never really done it for me. I'd rather go see MMW, Widespread, or MOE before seeing string cheese(yes, I know that string cheese also does some funk stuff, but are basicall jammy bluegrass)

hedxcold
08-19-2005, 12:53 AM
mindless self indulgence

i find most big arena shows boring and a waste of 40+ bucks