PDA

View Full Version : Short handed blind structure

Ralle
03-11-2003, 06:28 AM
We play a short handed (5-6 players) low-limit pot-limit home game. The blinds used to be 1/2. Now some of us are trying to increase the stakes, but there is some resistance from the rest of the players.

We succeeded in changing to 2/2 blinds. However, some of the guys feel it is strange that the small and big blind are equal, but they still don't want to increase the blinds to 2/4, which is what I'd like.

My question now is if it would be a good idea to use only one blind (4). Then we would have a bigger game than 2/2 but still small enough that I think they will all agree to it. Will there be any negative consequences using just the one blind?

Ignatius
03-11-2003, 03:07 PM
The size of the game is mostly determined by the amount of money on the table and only to a much lesser degree by the size of the blinds. If you want a bigger game, bring along more money and make use of it (and increase the maximum buyin if necessary). I don't think that anyone would object to this. Another measure would be to increase the minimum buyin, but this is probably harder to aggree on (and not necessarily to the advantage to the better players as small stacks are easier targets as you still have them covered even if they manage to double up a few times).
The blinds only play a minor role. Generally I'd guess that a single blind will probably make for a somewhat tighter game. Rather than having a single $4 blind, I'd make the blind structure 3-1 or, better yet, 2-1-1 as those structures, while looking smaller, tend to result in more ppl. seeing the flop and also reward more agressive preflop-play which both leads to bigger pots.