PDA

View Full Version : Contacts?

DrunkIrish05
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
So basically, I left my contacts in overnight way too much and developed an ulcer in one of my eyes. It's finally gone now after lots of drops and trips to the opthamologist. However, the dr said I need to switch my contacts to either dailies or extended wears. She told me to see an optometrist to help me answer this question. Anyways, I really don't want to go through the hassle of goign to another eye doctor just to ask about different contacts, so instead i'm asking OOT. Has anyone here had either dailies (switch contacts every night) or extended wears (sleep with in every night) and have any opinions on them? I've always heard that extended wear are really bad for your eyes, but that may just be a myth.

Thanks for the help,
DI

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-01-2005, 04:31 PM
My wife switched several months ago to the contacts you leave in for a month and she loves them. She's a big fan of being able to see when she wakes up in the morning and they seem to irritate her eyes less.

mwilli31
08-01-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.synoptik.se/resources/produktciba.jpg

08-01-2005, 04:37 PM
My mom and brother both wear the extended wear. you wear them for 6 days, glasses for the seventh. change the contacts every 4-6 weeks. They have both been wearing them for several years and have had no problems.

I wear the daily contacts, but leave them in for three days at a time and wear my glasses once in a while to give my eyes a break and have had no problems over the last 6 months.

samjjones
08-01-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have these, but I still take them out every night.

Dubra
08-01-2005, 04:43 PM
i have daily ones and i love them. they are amazing. it feels so great to have brand new clean ones in your eyes every day!!

DrunkIrish05
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, are these bad for your eyes if you leave them in too long? I used to really not care, but after the problems I just had, I feel that I need to go for the safest route.

I'm kinda leaning towards the dailies, but my eyes are really really bad and i'm afraid that if I stay out somewhere and don't have contacts because I threw mine out the night before that I'll be blind and not able to drive home.

mwilli31
08-01-2005, 04:55 PM
I keep these in for a month or so at time as suggested. Before that I would keep regular contacts in for 3-4 months at a time and my eyes were fine as of my last visit to the doc in June. With the regular contacts I would have to wake up and rub my eyes for a little while and the cloudiness would go away. With the Ciba's my eyes are fine when I wake up. But who knows, I could go for my next visit and have an ulcer. Not an expert by any means.

JDErickson
08-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I have always had problems with extended wear contacts. I never could leave them in overnight anyway.

I currently have 1 week contacts that I take out every night. Doing this I can actually use them longer than a week. A 6 month supply last me about 2 years (which is what my insurance pays). It works out well.

Try the extended wear but be warned that you still may have to much irritation to wear them a week or a month at a time.

Also, don't get new contact without seeing your doctor. Different brands of contacts are shaped a little different and may not fit your eye.

IHateKeithSmart
08-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Ditto. I have sensitive and semi-dry eyes and cannot sleep with any contacts in. I have been using the Acuvue advanced for about 6 months, and they are pretty decent comfort wise. I take them out nightly and also use the enzyme cleaner (my Dr. says this, though old school, is the best thing for folks with sensitive eyes). I may give some of these Ciba's a shot though next time. Good luck.

samjjones
08-01-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, are these bad for your eyes if you leave them in too long? I used to really not care, but after the problems I just had, I feel that I need to go for the safest route.

I'm kinda leaning towards the dailies, but my eyes are really really bad and i'm afraid that if I stay out somewhere and don't have contacts because I threw mine out the night before that I'll be blind and not able to drive home.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how leaving contacts in your eyes for any extended amount of time could possibly be +EV. And yes, I am TOO much of a pussy to get LASIK.

MrTrik
08-01-2005, 05:46 PM
When I was younger I got myself in trouble with extended wears. The problem was that I was a serious protien builder and I wasn't so good at dealing with that. And the lenses were very expensive so I'd wear them longer without replacing to save money. That was a long time ago.

I've been doing disposable Accus for years now. They are rated for sleeping (14 days) or non-sleeping (30 days). I don't sleep in them though. Off the record my eye doc says: "replace them when they start feeling uncomfortable". So mine last 6 weeks or so except for a month in the winter when it's drier than heck here in MN.

captswifty
08-01-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And yes, I am TOO much of a pussy to get LASIK.

[/ QUOTE ]

The doctor I went to for my LASIK gave me some amazing drugs that made me feel great before the surgury (I think it was a combination of valium, vicodin, and benadryl. It might have also had an extra effect on me because I have never taken valium or vicodin before).