PDA

View Full Version : Brains, Vats, Mason, 2+2 website, Poker Theory, and You!

Zeno
03-11-2003, 01:25 AM
There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it. – Cicero

To prove Cicero right and that philosophy is an engaging pastime, I submit the following:

Brain in a Vat. Contemporary counterpart of Descartes’ hypothesis that one’s beliefs are induced by an evil genius.

Used within a premise in arguments for skepticism, the hypothesis says that nothing exists except one’s brain – in a vat, in order that its electrochemical activity should be sustained – so that whatever may seem to one to be the case, its seeming so is accounted for by such activity alone. The skeptic invites one to say ‘For all I know, I am a brain in a vat, and there is no external world’.

Brains in vats are introduced also in philosophy of mind in connection with the idea that a person’s psychological faculties require nothing but a brain’s operation.

From:The Oxford Companion to Philosophy, Oxford University Press, 1995 p 102.

Setting aside for the moment, Descartes’ evil genius, is this ‘brain in a vat’ something that concerns Poker Players. Is your brain in a Vat? Does only a functional brain account for your knowledge of the external world? Are you actually a disembodied entity? Does this have implications for poker theory and how you can play poker? For example, do some poker players think of poker only has a “brain in a vat” type phenomena?

And then we come to the obvious question of - who makes the vats? This becomes a very disconcerting problem does it not? Other difficulties also arise. Your brain sitting around the poker table in a vat, that resembles an old, decayed wooden wash tub, trying to grasp cards, say check or raise, pick up tells, or muck a pair of deuces preflop.

And going a bit further, is the 2+2 website nothing more than a lot of brains in vats, all interconnected electronically and communicating thoughts only. Is this all an illusion? Is there really nobody at the other “end of the line”. For all you know, Zeno may be just another brain in a vat. A big vat; I would like to boast. And if that is not throwing everyone a straight line…….

And finally, is Mason’s play of late been affected by a lack of Vat Space. A Vat gap?
Can you postulate a Vat Gap Theory?

Lastly, again remember - are there really other people out there? Think about it. Think long and hard. Ponder the significance. It will start to eat at your brain after while.

Better hope no one tips your vat over.

-Zeno "Not that Zeno...The other one."

The Dude
03-11-2003, 04:37 AM
Major coincedences happen in life, and this is one of them. As I was logging on the the 2+2 forum just now, I was thinking 'I really should be working on my Philosophy mid-term due tomorrow morning.' What's the topic of the essay, you might ask? Skepticism and the "Evil Genius" discussion. Eerie isn't it?

So here's the real question... Was this supposed to inspire me to do homework I have no enthusiasm whatsoever for, or is it just another thing to distract me from the work at hand?

Billy LTL
03-11-2003, 06:37 AM
are there really other people out there?

Well, for what it's worth Zeno, I'm here. Billy.

Rockfish
03-11-2003, 04:58 PM
This conondrum can be summed up in a single question that is the foundation for a whole branch of philosophy known as epistemology or the theory of knowledge. A lot of ink has been spilled on this one over the centuries.

That question is:

What do you know for sure?

Ask yourself what you know with absolute certainty. If you answer honestly you will find that it is a short list.

Rockfish in a vat

Jimbo
03-11-2003, 09:46 PM
As a great poet of the past might have said; Tis better to be a brain in a vat than have no vat at all.

AlanBostick
03-12-2003, 12:49 AM
Whoa, duuuuuude!

This is, like, heavy!

Have you seen The Matrix? This is like that! Maybe there are computers that are keeping our brains in vats just for the electricity!

AmericanAirlines
03-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Does it really fricken matter? You still have to pay the bills this month right?

:-)

Your illusion of not eating for a while in the vat, or not breathing, will still kill you, won't it?

Folks like to say perception is reality... is it really now?

Close you eyes and walk off a cliff... you didn't see the ground coming... bet it still kills you.

Geez, I'l bet your an *optimist* too.

:-)

Sincerely,
AA

AmericanAirlines
03-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Heavy... well maybe... but what does it help to solve in the way of the problems of you, me, and the world, huh?

It's pointless and useless.

Whether it's all and illusion, or it's all concrete, or somewhere inbetween... your stuck in it. And that's all there is to it.

Sincerely,
AA