PDA

View Full Version : PL Omaha - Questions

08-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Played my first night tonight and hopefully learned some things. I didn't lose a whole bunch mainly because I was scared to get all my money in without the absolute nuts. I folded two 2nd or 3rd best full houses on the turn and river.

My question is: Do you want to get a lot of money in when you could be up against a player who has 12 outs on the turn to beat you or is it best to keep the pot small until the river when you can see that you probably have the best hand?

I had a 77 on a 7 9 9 flop. Do I want to keep this pot small or are you fine with getting your whole 100 BB buy-in in on the flop or turn. This guy raised me to half my buy-in ($50) on the turn and I folded. I figured even if I was ahead, I was sure he had at least a 9 and am sure he had 12 outs to beat me on the turn. It's kind of wierd in Omaha. I still haven't figured it all out but you are so vulnerable to being outdrawn yet I saw guys gladly going all-in on the flop and turn with top sets. I played the other way and tried to see at least the turn to see if I was going to be outdrawn and was happier to get a lot of money in on the turn rather than the flop.

I flopped top set of 9's and bet about $5 on the flop and got about 2 or 3 callers. The turn put a possible spade flush out and so I was likely beat but got proper odds to draw to the full house. I missed so folded on the river. However, I have a feeling if one of the more aggressor players had that same hand, he could have been all-in on the flop for $100 because that is how he played it. On one table he left with a $400 stack but he lost some money on the 2nd table that I was at with him. I'm still unsure of which is the right style.

RickyG
08-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Most of the time the underfull out of position is a bad hand because even if you know your oponent has the 9 you have no idea what his sidecards are and therefore there are no good cards for you. Also If you manage to get all of your money in on the flop, there is a good chance you are beat, because few players would push with the bare three of a kind. This is a game in which you want the nuts, especially if you are playing full table. Most of the time at the lower limits ($25-$100 maybe even $200) you want to be playing for the nuts or good draws to the nuts.