PDA

View Full Version : Review my strategy for the $10+$1s.

brimstone1
08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I've been on a losing streak for over 350 games, after playing +500 $11s and +150 $22s profitably. I'm just not convinced its sample size or variance. Please don't reply "lol variance sample size lol", I've read enough threads about them to understand the idea. This thread is asking you to review my strategy, and tell me whats going wrong, if anything.
Basically, I'm paging for citanul, curtains, irieguy, yugoslav, raptor, bluefeet, mcpherson (:p), 45suited, big limpin', tigerite, suitedsixes, durron597, and everyone else that gives reliable, legible advice, sorry if I forgot your names/nicks.

Here's what part of my profit graph looks like (it's actually worse).
[img=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3849/profitbar4hu.th.jpg] (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=profitbar4hu.jpg)

It doesn't stop.

So, after a failed attempt at forming a $11s study group, and failing to find a mentor, I've decided to share my strategy with the whole forum and see what you guys think of it. Funny, even after accepting that this isn't a winning strategy, I feel like I'm exposing a secret... just because I've been studying so hard and trying to fine-tune this strategy. Of course there will be situations where this doesn't apply at all, but for the most part, here are my general guidelines...

Just in case you didn't read what I just wrote: THIS IS NOT A WINNING STRATEGY, OR SO IT SEEMS.

Some general rules I try to abide:
<ul type="square"> If you raise PF, and get called by 2 or more people (probably low level blinds), don't waste chips with a contiuation bet if the flop didn't hit you. In other words, don't bluff/semi-bluff into +2 loose $11 players at a time (HoH concept).
Don't take races early in the game with AK, pairs other than AA, KK.
No fancy moves. If you don't desperately need the chips, don't pull PVSs, Stop'n Gos, bluffs, etc.
Never spite call. Turn off characters, chat, and be emotionless towards the players at your table.
Don't under/overestimate your opponent, don't think about them, just play your game.
If you take too many beats where you were a gigantic favorite back-to-back, just finish the set, and take a 5-10 minute break if you need to cool down.
Never play when drunk/tired/hungry/busy/sad/mad/etc.
Abide the 40% rule, the 10BB rule.
Never min-bet (unless level 6 and above, where you can pick up a lot of pots by minbetting on the flop, where the minbet is huge anyway.)
Don't limp after level 4. Either raise, push, or fold. Less flops seen, but more chips won.
[/list]

Level 1-3:
AA-KK: Randomly choose between pushing and raising 3-6xBB (but push more, you get called by amazing hands), push to re-raise, if just called, see the flop and act according to the number of callers. If you hit (set/overpair), bet the pot (or push) if the board texture is dangerous (flush/straight draw), and bet less if its benign (milk'em).
Note: Number of players in pot important, act more aggressive into less, and more passive into more players if you don't hit your hand (or get confusing action).

QQ-77: Limp from every position, always call min-raise, call 2xBB more (if someone made it 45 to go after you limped for 15) if the action closes on you. Call more with QQ, JJ - but nothing over 4xBB. Otherwise fold. Play for set/overpair value, just like AA, KK. If you hit (set/overpair), bet the pot (or push (especially with the smaller pairs (77-TT)) if the board texture is dangerous (flush/straight draw), and bet less if its benign (milk'em). When you hit your set, you will get called an amazing number of times when you push on the flop if the pot was raised PF.

Edit: Level 3, you can raise with QQ, JJ for value PF, try to pick the pot up right there and then.

AK, AKs: Limp from EP. Limp or raise from MP. Raise 3-4xBB from LP.
On the flop, from EP/MP, if you hit and there are a lot of players, check/raise it to the pot (the main pot+the raise). If there aren't many players, just come out firing.

From LP, come out firing unless there is a ridiculous amount of action infront of you (ex: UTG bet 1/2 the pot, MP2 called, MP3 raised), in which case you fold.

AQ-AJ: Fold unless its folded to you in the CO/button, make it 3xBB to go, if you get ridiculous action, drop it. Otherwise make small continuation bet on the flop when it hits/doesn't hit, and just take it right there. Don't risk anything else with these hands. Not worth it.

66-22: Fold unless you have 3 limpers in front of you, or you are certain to see a flop by limping (the table has been so passive, you thought it was a LHE table for a while). You can call a min-raise. Try to fold them UTG, UTG+1, MP1-2, etc. Don't raise with them. Drop them on the flop against any action (even min-bet) if you don't hit your set.

Level 4+: This is where it gets interesting. The blinds are 50/100, and most of the time you will have less than 10BB.
When folded to you in the SB, if you or your opponent have 5-7BB, push like the wind with any two.

Although its always +EV to push with 5-7BB at this point, don't push into over-aggressive loose bigstacks unless you hold AX/KX. They will call with everything too many times to make this move +EV. Always push into the mini-stack who has 2BB or such, the times you win (suckout or dominate), combined with the times he folds is enough to compensate for when he calls you and wins.

Don't open push from anywhere but the SB unless you have a hand you want called (AJs-AKs, AA-88), OR, the people left to act behind you have relatively "ok" stacks (similiar to yours (+/-150) when you have 8-10BB--then, you can push, they will fold unless they hold premium hands, and thats a chance you have to take) Players at the $11s will call with the most ridiculous hands, make sure you have them dominated, because FE is low when you push from anywhere other than SB, and gets lower as you move away.

Try not to push from UTG without an amazing holding unless you have absolutely no more chips left if the blinds hit you. KQ is not an appropriate hand to push into 5-6 people from UTG. A2o has you beat. Remember that.

On the button, say you have 1500 chips, SB and BB have 450, 560 and the blinds are 50/100. Push AX, KX, QX, all pairs. Mold this example into other situations at different blinds, its good stuff.

If you have a chip lead, say 2500+ and the people left behind you to act (3-4 people) are rather small stacks, say 500-700, etc. Nothing that will cripple you if you get called; push AX, pairs, KXs. Don't do this if there's a big-stack between them, you don't want to fcku around with him, not for now, at least.

This might *sound* conservative, but you will be pushing a lot of hands. The table will start complaining, spite calling you. So after a couple of these POOOSH situations in the SB, be careful, your opponent just lowered his calling standards to any face card and mid-kicker.
Now, start pushing any J, Q, K, A suited or offsuit, all pairs.

Hopefully, by the time he lowers his standards, you will have over 10BB and more than your opponent because you collected so many times, that you won't be desperate enough to push with 32o to pick up the blinds (desperate relative to your stack). Otherwise, don't look twice at your cards when you need the blinds. Just push.

SnGPT can vouch for me when I say "just push". It's +EV.
Although not working out for me, the pushes I make are +EV (over or equal to the minimum edge of 0.5%) about 85% of the time, I usually check the last couple of pushes (with SnGPT) I made when I bust. My very last pushes are almost always +EV.

On the bubble, if 1 UTG/EP limps, everyone folds, SB completes, you can push rather loosely from the BB with almost about anything and make both of them fold. Remember, make sure one of them isn't desperate. (sort of squeeze play)

Don't allow the SB to complete and see a flop when you have a bigger stack than him, come over the top with all aces, kings, queens, and pairs. If you have a smaller stack, theres a big chance he's trying to trap you, see a flop and act accordingly (this doesn't happen too many times since you'll be pushing so much, you'll see people folding their blinds to you in fear of you going all-in).

Congratulations. You are the table maniac, and the table hates you. Push everything you want called.

Key-word: OPEN-push.

When and if in the money, well, thats up to you. With this strategy, when you make the money, you'll either be the small stack, or the big stack. Which in return fits nicely with the whole idea of "gamble for 1st, settle for 3rd, don't play for 2nd" idea of getting more 1sts and 3rds, and less 2nds -- to put it in a very brute way.

I double-checked and proof-read this several times but I'm sure there are mistakes and some things I left out, I'll try to complete throughout the thread if I can.

Please let me know if you do something differently.

Big Business
08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
My strategy is similar to yours. I play tight the first few rounds and ony play premium hands or good limp hands in good position to flop a monster.

Let some of the maniacs battle it out and knock a few out and pick my spots in level 3-4 with well timed steals,etc. Most people at the 11 and 22 level don't even really pick up on table image and I still get action with my big hands even though of my tight play.

My struggles come when it gets down to 4 people I tend to play a little too tight and then its hard to finish 1st because I will be out chipped a lot.

Hope you get some better results. Good luck.

tigerite
08-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Well, I'll have a go at some of it, anyway. But I only had 17% ROI don't forget over 360 odd.

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise PF, and get called by 2 or more people (probably low level blinds), don't waste chips with a contiuation bet if the flop didn't hit you. In other words, don't bluff/semi-bluff into +2 loose $11 players at a time (HoH concept).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily agree with this. With 2 in the pot I usually will continuation bet, but with 3+ it becomes trickier. Reads would be nice.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the pfr has shown himself to be a total maniac, of course. Also, I would include QQ in that list.

[ QUOTE ]

No fancy moves. If you don't desperately need the chips, don't pull PVSs, Stop'n Gos, bluffs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too sure on this one. They do have their place in the $10's but use with moderation, definitely. In fact, I'd say the Stop 'n' go is the most effective at this level. PVS less so, but if it's a loose passive player or two that have limped, it really can work.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Never spite call. Turn off characters, chat, and be emotionless towards the players at your table.

Don't under/overestimate your opponent, don't think about them, just play your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]

If you take too many beats where you were a gigantic favorite back-to-back, just finish the set, and take a 5-10 minute break if you need to cool down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, if you are likely to tilt, yeah. If it doesn't affect you and you can just see it as variance, no reason not to carry on.

[ QUOTE ]

Never min-bet (unless level 6 and above, where you can pick up a lot of pots by minbetting on the flop, where the minbet is huge anyway.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah all pretty standard stuff, I don't even like min betting at level 6+ really to be honest.

[ QUOTE ]

]Don't limp after level 4. Either raise, push, or fold. Less flops seen, but more chips won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I will limp with small pairs UTG if I have a big stack, say 16BB+. But otherwise, again, agreed.

[ QUOTE ]

AA-KK: Randomly choose between pushing and raising 3-6xBB (but push more, you get called by amazing hands), push to re-raise, if just called, see the flop and act according to the number of callers. If you hit (set/overpair), bet the pot (or push) if the board texture is dangerous (flush/straight draw), and bet less if its benign (milk'em).
Note: Number of players in pot important, act more aggressive into less, and more passive into more players if you don't hit your hand (or get confusing action).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just raise standard 3bb + 1 or 2xlimper, no need for fancy changing up play, as long as you do this with every single hand you raise

[ QUOTE ]

QQ-77: Limp from every position, always call min-raise, call 2xBB more (if someone made it 45 to go after you limped for 15) if the action closes on you. Call more with QQ, JJ - but nothing over 4xBB. Otherwise fold. Play for set/overpair value, just like AA, KK. If you hit (set/overpair), bet the pot (or push (especially with the smaller pairs (77-TT)) if the board texture is dangerous (flush/straight draw), and bet less if its benign (milk'em). When you hit your set, you will get called an amazing number of times when you push on the flop if the pot was raised PF.

Edit: Level 3, you can raise with QQ, JJ for value PF, try to pick the pot up right there and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really can't agree with this for QQ, you should re-raise with QQ. I also would add that you should raise in late position, i.e. the button or the cutoff if folded to you, with any pair 77+. You will buy the blinds more often than not and when not, it disguises your hand anyway. I would also add to raise JJ and TT from late position with limpers because these are strong hands that do need protecting, and possibly 99 in the blinds as well.

I'd also add to limp behind with AQ in any position (but don't open with it) and with AJ on exactly the button with at least 2 limpers. If all folded to you in CO/button with either of these hands, again, you should raise.

[ QUOTE ]

AK, AKs: Limp from EP. Limp or raise from MP. Raise 3-4xBB from LP.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you should really raise these from EP I believe. But, especially raise them from MP. You are losing a lot of value if you don't.

There's too much else but that's just for starters anyway..

playtitleist
08-01-2005, 01:52 PM
What is the 40% - 10BB rule?

45suited
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi Brimstone, I'll give this a shot:

[ QUOTE ]
AA-KK: Randomly choose between pushing and raising 3-6xBB

[/ QUOTE ]

You want action with these hands. If you think the table is loose enough to call a 6BB raise, go ahead, but in general I would not raise this much. Also, if I am against aggressive opponents, I will often limp/re-raise with aces in level one (only if I'm pretty sure it will be raised behind me).

[ QUOTE ]
QQ-77: Limp from every position, always call min-raise, call 2xBB more (if someone made it 45 to go after you limped for 15) if the action closes on you. Call more with QQ, JJ - but nothing over 4xBB. Otherwise fold. Play for set/overpair value

[/ QUOTE ]

QQ is WAY too strong to play this way. Always raise with QQ in the early levels. In fact, at an 11, if you never fold QQ pre-flop regardless of the action, you would be fine. Also, in level 1, I suggest at least limping with ALL PPs. The implied odds are just too enormous to pass them up.

[ QUOTE ]
Level 3, you can raise with QQ, JJ for value PF, try to pick the pot up right there and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you don't mind action with these hands (especially QQ). When I raise with QQ, I hope someone calls.

[ QUOTE ]
AK, AKs: Limp from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since the table is probably down to 7 or 8 players by this point (on an 11), raise with these hands, don't limp with them from EP.

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds are 50/100, and most of the time you will have less than 10BB.
When folded to you in the SB, if you or your opponent have 5-7BB, push like the wind with any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree with the "any two" portion of this. Especially with the new blinds structure, you can afford to be a little patient. It's hard to make any blanket statements about this without seeing hands / stack sizes, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Always push into the mini-stack who has 2BB or such

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be very careful pushing into short stacks, they are more likely to call you. It's better to push into a medium stack who you can bust / cripple. They don't have to gamble, so you have more FE.

[ QUOTE ]
Try not to push from UTG without an amazing holding unless you have absolutely no more chips left if the blinds hit you. KQ is not an appropriate hand to push into 5-6 people from UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really can't make blanket statements like this. If the table is 6 handed and I have 600 chips in level 4, I'm pushing KQo UTG.

[ QUOTE ]
On the button, say you have 1500 chips, SB and BB have 450, 560 and the blinds are 50/100. Push AX, KX, QX, all pairs. Mold this example into other situations at different blinds, its good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think that concepts like this are very overrated. You need to pay attention to the relative stacks at the table. If I have 1500, SB has 450, BB has 560, and I have Kx on the button in level 4, I'm folding. I'm probably one of the top 2 or 3 stacks at the table and there's no need for me to give this up for 150 chips with a weak holding against guys that need to gamble.

Plus don't forget that the rest of the table sees you pushing all the time. They're going to loosen their standards.

I look at it like this: Those chips (the 150 in blinds) are not very important to you at this point. Your stack allows you to be patient. Be patient, let the shortstacks take desperate gambles. Bet for value (and push likely best hands) at the 11s.

I remember from looking at some of your HHs that your mistakes fell mostly into two categories:

1) Not paying attention to stack sizes of the other players in push / fold situations, and

2) Playing too passively post flop at the later blind levels. Heads up, pairing the flop is a strong hand and should usually be bet (tons of other factors come into play of course). Also, when a guy checks twice to you heads up, fire something at the pot. Finally, if I'm playing an aggressive opponent, if I'm playing in a heads up pot late and hit a strong hand (top pair), I'll often make an "aggressive check". After he fires at the pot, come over the top of him. If you always play passively post flop, but suddenly fire a pot sized bet after the flop, you're letting your aggressive opponents off too easy and you are making yourself too easy to read. Bad opponents get married to their unpaired aces or unpaired broadways and don't realize that they're a 3:1 dog after you hit top pair and they miss. This is the easiest way to double up in the late middle game. C/R all-in against these guys, they often can't get away from their hands.

Just a few thoughts... GL

One more thing. Regarding fancy plays, other players might often disagree with me but I will often push in what looks like a PVS spot, but with a strong hand. For example, I recently posted a hand that was L3, one limper, I had ~T950 and pushed with TT. The reason fancy plays don't work often at the 11s is that the fish call so often. I will make the reverse PVS, and get called quite often by crap. Another easy way to double up.

08-01-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=profitbar4hu.jpg)

It doesn't stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE!!!! WHAT HAPPENED??!!!?

I have A.D.D. but ill try to see how long I can pick through your post.

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise PF, and get called by 2 or more people (probably low level blinds), don't waste chips with a contiuation bet if the flop didn't hit you. In other words, don't bluff/semi-bluff into +2 loose $11 players at a time (HoH concept).

[/ QUOTE ]

I always fire a cont. bet, it might be one of my leaks, but ive found it to work more often than not. Besides, usually when I raise ill have a better hand after the flop anyways [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but if someone leads into me when ive missed, then im gone /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, indifferent on this one, I personnally dont like going allin pf early on with anything, i like to outplay'em post flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont pull fancy moves at all, these guys are bright enough to figure it out anyways.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

personnal preference.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, Id say consider them average until proven otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

personal preference.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i always do.

[ QUOTE ]
Never min-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't limp after level 4. Either raise, push, or fold. Less flops seen, but more chips won.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ok, im bored, finding something else to do.
Good luck bro, hope i could help /images/graemlins/grin.gif

samr
08-01-2005, 02:38 PM
I also play the $10+1s with similar results as tigerite, and I think I've figured out a reason why.

In my experience, the average player has a very wide calling range in the BB against a SB push (or even button push).
I now give the average $10+1er the following calling range:
22+,A2+,KT+,QT+.

I really don't believe you can push trash in the SB at the $10 level as profitably as you can at the higher levels, where calling ranges are much tighter. You might want to reevaluate your pushing range. I no longer believe pushing any two in the SB to be +EV.

Also, I disagree that you do not want to push/call allin with AK/AKs early. I have no qualms calling into a coinflip early with AK. E.g., at level 2, if MP1 raises to 100, MP2 flat calls, I have no problem pushing allin. You have a sufficient pot overlay if they choose to call with a low pair, and you're either a slight underdog against a low pair or a sufficient favorite over Ax/Kx. Also, getting a big stack is a major advantage not measured in ICM $EV equity. Stealing blinds via bullying is huge. Short stacked on the bubble at the $10+1 level gives you very little FE. Get aggressive early.

P.S. As I typed this, I pushed allin with AKs and got called by A5 (who ofc hit a five).

brimstone1
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the detailed and long reply, and hey by the way /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For QQ, if you get action with it, you're looking at AK, AA, KK. And some times lower pairs. I'm just not in the mood to gamble with it. I consider 45/50 situations a gamble early on in the game, I'm sure you do too. I just don't want to know what he has, with AA/KK, I'm more than happy. I'll be very aggressive on a nice flop.

After you did some evaluations on my HHs, I've actually changed up my game a lot thanks to you. First, I over-did the aggression thing with a pair on the flop (I started pulling Stop-n-Gos with mid pair, and getting busted with top pair), but now I think I've started playing it correctly. I always bet and if needed bust with top pair in later levels where I see a flop.

Also, after 2 checks or a sign of weakness from 1-2 opponents who don't seem to married to their hand I've started firing a probe bet and usually taking the pot right there.

Before I say anything else -- I noticed that the 1500 chips at 50/10 is a very WRONG example on my part, but I had stated that there might be some errors, and certainly pushing 1500 into shortstacks at 50/100 with broadway is one of them. I certainly would not do that--sorry for the confusion. I will push a hand if I had a bit more than them though, say they had 3BB 5BB, and if I had 7BB, I probably would push from the button. Using MJ's theorem, I've started taking chip stacks into consideration, more than anything else (perhaps position is a runner-up for 1st place here /images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

I think I'd have to disagree with the TT PVS move, I'd never take a 45/55 gamble at the low levels. You just get called way too often at the $11s.

In the situation you're describing for the KQo, level 4 with 600 chips, its not a push according to ICM/SnGPT. It's only +0.1% EV, much under the necessary threshhold eastbay suggests for a push. Level 5 is a minimum here with 600 chips at least.

That's all I could see that needed a reply, I'm still interested in what you have to say if you could find the time to post a reply to this message as well, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and PS: I'm open-pushing XY into the 2BB guy. It's _always_ +EV. Check it with ICM, you'll see.

brimstone1
08-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I get called and find myself in the "tunnel" Harrington describes too many times when against 2 players. This is of course just a general outline of my strategy, many situations require a unique response each time. I might choose to make a contiuation bet into 2 players sometimes, but its something I do less than 50% of the time, so I decided to make it a rule at the beginnnig of my strategy.

QQ, I'm just done with it at the $11s in the early levels... I'm going to try playing it for a 100-150 games and see what happens -- if I last that long, haha.

I think min-betting at level 5+ does have a place. Think of this scenario, SB completes, you're in the BB, you check. Flop hits you (some pair, meh kicker), he checks, you minbet, he folds. It happens enough times to make it a part of my arsenal. I don't use it frequently though, I must say that.

Just for the record, I never limp with AA, KK. No need to do tricky things with them at the $11s.

Okay, raising in late position with a mid to high pocket pair does seem like a reasonable idea, I will incorporate this into my game.

I think I might be limping behind limpers with AQ from MP and LP as well. Need to think that one over, I think I play it somewhat randomly, decide what to do on-the-fly more than anything.

AJo, I fold everytime.
AJs I consider from LP.

45suited
08-01-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd have to disagree with the TT PVS move, I'd never take a 45/55 gamble at the low levels. You just get called way too often at the $11s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll respond more when I have time, but, again, I don't understand the logic of everyone on this move.

Everyone correctly says to avoid FPS on the 11s because the fish call. TT is a very strong hand. In situations such as I described (one limper, you have 900 or so on the button in level 4), you WANT someone to call. I make the play because it looks like a steal. Usually, you win the pot right there. You are also often called by smaller PPs. And you're favored against two big cards. The only thing you should "fear" is a higher PP, but if you run into that you're screwed anyway.

Trust me Brimstone, this move doubles me up so often it's sick.

45suited
08-01-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
QQ, I'm just done with it at the $11s in the early levels...

[/ QUOTE ]

QQ is a freaking monster... especially at the 11s where the fish call with crap.

tigerite
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I find a 2/3rds bet on a flop is better than a min bet, and usually only about 60 more chips, even late game. Especially if you put a 5 chips on the end, like I do. (I have an autohoteky script to work out exactly what 2/3rds of the pot is) It's funny, but they seem to take a 165 bet more seriously than a 160, for instance..? YMMV though

brimstone1
08-01-2005, 08:31 PM
There are more people online now, let's see if this bump creates any more action...?

starvs
08-01-2005, 08:41 PM
"For QQ, if you get action with it, you're looking at AK, AA, KK."

This just isn't anywhere near the truth. You will get calle from all kinds of crazy hands. Some people at the 11s just can't let go of pock pairs higher than 5s. I think you are losing lots of value being to afraid with QQ.

11t
08-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Well I just moved to Empire and am playing the 11's and I will try to give any advice that could be warranted.

1. If you are in the blinds and late position with AK and there is a raise and several calls (2+) in front of you, push. Most of the time they will fold and you will take down a nice pot.

2 .If you have QQ I would suggest getting all your money in preflop if you can.

3. Stop N Go's are a very very useful tool at the 11's. So many of those players HAVE to see a flop before they fold that I will stop n go any time I am 100% confident that I will get called by pushing preflop and my hand isn't strong enough to withstand 5 possible cards (55-99).

4. I drink and play poker all the time. I think I play way better once I've had a beer or 2 to loosen me up. Everybody is different though.

5. "Don't under/overestimate your opponent, don't think about them, just play your game" - if you aren't paying attention to who the calling stations are that you should avoid pushing against than you are going to have your steals busted where too often.

"QQ-77: Limp from every position, always call min-raise, call 2xBB more (if someone made it 45 to go after you limped for 15) if the action closes on you. Call more with QQ, JJ - but nothing over 4xBB. Otherwise fold. Play for set/overpair value, just like AA, KK. If you hit (set/overpair), bet the pot (or push (especially with the smaller pairs (77-TT)) if the board texture is dangerous (flush/straight draw), and bet less if its benign (milk'em). When you hit your set, you will get called an amazing number of times when you push on the flop if the pot was raised PF."

I'm not a big fan for your 1-3 level strategy. Open pushing AA-KK is -EV in my opinion. I would just raise 3xbb and push versus a re-raise. Limping with QQ preflop in levels 1-3 is also pretty leaky IMO. I raise with JJ in LP. I would also suggest avoiding calling out of position with 77-99 and "always calling min-bets". The stacks aren't too deep.

Again if you are folding QQ preflop to action at the 11's you are losing money.

A better line would be calling with any pp in LP when there are limps in front of you.

Not raising with AK/AQ in EP in level 3 has to be leaky.

I dunno, this is probably just general guidelines for how you play but this seems way to formulaic too me.

lastchance
08-01-2005, 09:07 PM
L1-L3, your strategy really is way too weak-tight. I'm sure you can win with it, but I'm also sure that you're going to make more by raising and reraising QQ, and shoving it hard.

You're going to make a lot of money limping 22 behind a single limper from any position. You're going to make a lot of money raising AQ from MP, raising AK from all positions, limping a whole bunch of hands in CO/Button behind multiple limpers.

3 limpers to you in CO L1, and I'm limping anything that looks ok. You can play K9 here for a profit. You can play Axs here for a profit. You can flop 2 pair and take someone's stack.

Also, this helps you learn postflop play, which can be more important HU. You're going to be able to stack people much more often, you're going to pick up chips, and that has to be good.

Also, L4-ITM is not about hard and fast rules. It's about a series of factors, that dictate your hand strength:
Position/# of active players left (pushing from the SB is 10 times better from pushing in the CO, but this factor diminishes the farther from the button you get)
Your stack size
Opponent's stack size
Opponent's calling ranges

A combination of these factors will decide for you what is a profitable push, and what is not. You're looking to steal, you're looking to pick up chips.

brimstone1
08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
A combination of these factors will decide for you what is a profitable push, and what is not. You're looking to steal, you're looking to pick up chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually pretty good with post-flop play, and am able to understand &amp; apply HoH concepts pretty nicely.
(I played a good 40k $2/$4, 6k $3/$6, 15-20k $0.5/$1 back in the day and have read SSH, WLLH, etc.)

But it seems that in regards to SnGs, playing less post-flop is the way to go, or so I've come to understand from the general "whiff" of things here on the forums.

That's actually why I call a min-raise pre-flop when I limp with a small-mid pair, its just general knowledge from limit that pre-flop, if you've limped and its raised once (1BB in the case of NLHE), it's often correct to call rather than fold it.

Thanks for the reply by the way, it's hard to get people to respond to something serious these days /images/graemlins/blush.gif

lastchance
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, postflop is less important in SNG's than every other form of poker, but you still want to be able to stack someone with huge implied odds. You can limp behind limpers with relative trash. You really should play QQ hard. You want to make some raises folded to you in LP. AQ is not a terrible hand. You can play AJ for a profit in MP.

brimstone1
08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, postflop is less important in SNG's than every other form of poker, but you still want to be able to stack someone with huge implied odds. You can limp behind limpers with relative trash. You really should play QQ hard. You want to make some raises folded to you in LP. AQ is not a terrible hand. You can play AJ for a profit in MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually stopped playing QQ hard only about 10 games ago, and I knew very well the sort of berating it would get from the boards... I'm just not too fond of going all-in preflop with it.

lastchance
08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually stopped playing QQ hard only about 10 games ago, and I knew very well the sort of berating it would get from the boards... I'm just not too fond of going all-in preflop with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you seen the crap your opponents call with? You're consistently a 70/30 favorite or better. I can't see how that's a bad thing. You've got to be seeing AQ, AJ, TT-77, at least.

08-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Im going to agree with the consensus here. QQ is a monster in the 11s. I have a decent +ROI and I much prefer QQ and even JJ to AK. Your raise is going to be called by junk so often and overpairs at the 11s are priceless as the idiots will go all in with AK if they miss or TP (sometimes even in the absence of a good kicker).

The only time I smooth call with QQ and JJ is when there is a decent size raise in front of me. Since it usually represents something like AK/AQ/KQ id much prefer to take a flop and avoid the coinflip - since I have the discipline to lay it down more than my opponent does. If the flop is rags and the guy has AA/KK well then hes getting my stack, but im comfortable in the knowledge that this move is hugely +EV.

08-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Also, I was quite interested in joing that group of yours, but you said it had closed before i got round to replying. Whats happening with it?