PDA

View Full Version : Any bowlers out there?

WackityWhiz
08-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Fall leagues are starting soon and I was just wondering if any of you are in leagues?

I'm hoping to average around 215 this year, iuno if I can pull it off, I havent bowled since April.

RacersEdge
08-01-2005, 12:13 PM
215? Isn't that pro level?

West
08-01-2005, 12:16 PM
I bowled a lot when I was younger - duckpins though, not tenpins (I don't think they have duckpins in Iowa). Have hardly bowled in years though.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 12:19 PM
obviously you're not a golfer.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
where's nothumb?

WackityWhiz
08-01-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, if you put them on the oil pattern that most league bowlers bowl on, they will average 250 or more. They bowl on a much much much tougher shot and still average around 220. Pretty amazing really.

I bowled in a sport shot league (that's the bowling term for the condition the pros bowl on) and averaged 184.

nothumb
08-01-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, if you put them on the oil pattern that most league bowlers bowl on, they will average 250 or more. They bowl on a much much much tougher shot and still average around 220. Pretty amazing really.

I bowled in a sport shot league (that's the bowling term for the condition the pros bowl on) and averaged 184.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I average 215 and I'm only a pro between the legs.

(Actually, I can average about 160 bowling one-handed through my legs.)

NT

WackityWhiz
08-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Easy lane condition = House shot
Tough lane condition = Sport shot
Bowling lane = 60 feet

on a House shot, there is oil in the middle of the lane that makes the ball skid. The outside 8-10 inches don't have as much, or any, oil on them and when the ball skids through the oil, it hits the dry. When it hits the dry, the ball hooks.

The typical house shot is oiled between 30-35 ft down the lane. The remaining 25-30 feet is not oiled. This allows the ball to hook a lot on the back end of the lane.

There are many different types of sport shots but one of the more difficult ones is called a 'reverse block'. It's the opposite of a House shot. There is oil on the outside and dry in the middle. This makes it very hard. Some sport shots are 20-25 ft long which makes the ball hook soooo much. Some sport shots are 50 ft long, which makes it nearly impossible to make a ball hook.

In order to strike on a house shot, a good bowler can miss his mark at the arrows by 3-5 inches and still have a good chance at a strike.

On a sport shot, a player usually can only miss by an inch (if that) and still have a good chance at a strike.

yay a crash course on lane conditions...

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy lane condition = House shot
Tough lane condition = Sport shot
Bowling lane = 60 feet

on a House shot, there is oil in the middle of the lane that makes the ball skid. The outside 8-10 inches don't have as much, or any, oil on them and when the ball skids through the oil, it hits the dry. When it hits the dry, the ball hooks.

The typical house shot is oiled between 30-35 ft down the lane. The remaining 25-30 feet is not oiled. This allows the ball to hook a lot on the back end of the lane.

There are many different types of sport shots but one of the more difficult ones is called a 'reverse block'. It's the opposite of a House shot. There is oil on the outside and dry in the middle. This makes it very hard. Some sport shots are 20-25 ft long which makes the ball hook soooo much. Some sport shots are 50 ft long, which makes it nearly impossible to make a ball hook.

In order to strike on a house shot, a good bowler can miss his mark at the arrows by 3-5 inches and still have a good chance at a strike.

On a sport shot, a player usually can only miss by an inch (if that) and still have a good chance at a strike.

yay a crash course on lane conditions...

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...there is so much more to bowling than i'd previously thought.

hedxcold
08-01-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish i had leagues with a sport shot near me. the averages seem so crazy

astroglide
08-01-2005, 01:21 PM
my dad averages in the low/mid 200s too. he has also bowled at the same alley for a billion years, and said that he ends up doing much worse in random lanes (at least at the onset) and that pros can adapt to lane conditions infinitely better than he can. i don't think he's ever really tried to make a run at it though.