PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about moving up in limits, and my August challange.

stillbr
08-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Quite often we see a post from someone asking whether or not they should move up in limits. They'll ask "how much do I need to take a shot at 5-10" ect... The simple answer that most people say is somthing along the lines of "take 100 bets to that level and just give it a shot, if you lose it move back down." Most of the time this is the advice they need to hear. But this just doesnt seem to work for me. What is it about me that makes me such a bankroll wuss???? I hate the thought of moving up, and moving back down. I am a student, and poker is my sole income. I pay all of my bills through poker (except for tuition and books paid for by my parents). I keep over 1000 bets in my bankroll for 3-6 6max & cash out quite often. I have just gotten comfortable at my current limit, and never have the drive to take shots at higher limits. So I came up with a plan. I'm going to start making myself out a challenge each month, and this month it will be 3-6 6max. If everything goes well, then next month my challenge will be at 5-10, then 10-20 and so on. I'm using these challenges to make myself move up. This will take poker from being soley a way to make $ (how I talk myself into never moving up "the $ is plenty good enough for a college student") to a challenge. It is now a game that I want to beat(hopefully).

So here is my august challenge.

play 35,000 hands at 3-6 6max (currently I usually get around 15k or so)

Make $5,200 after rakeback and bonuses this month.

I want to average about 2bb/100 during this time. I'm not exactly sure I've calculated my rake & bonus prediction very accurately. I'm going to focus alot of my posts on getting better from the blinds.

Argus
08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
So here is my august challenge.

play 35,000 hands at 3-6 6max (currently I usually get around 15k or so)

Make $5,200 after rakeback and bonuses this month.

I want to average about 2bb/100 during this time. I'm not exactly sure I've calculated my rake &amp; bonus prediction very accurately. I'm going to focus alot of my posts on getting better from the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of setting monetary goals, I advise you to set poker performance goals. Something more like playing 35k hands while always making good decisions. Perhaps add some time during which you single table to really focus on your game.

Setting a goal of a certain amount of money, or a certain BB/100 over only 35k hands is a recipe for disappoinment. You could be a 2 BB/100 player and certainly not reach that over 35k hands. Especially at 6-max you may only beat it for 1 BB/100 despite your true higher win-rate. The reverse is true too; achieving your goal doesn't tell you that you are beating 3/6 for 2 BB/100, though you'd certainly know you were a winning player. Results oriented thinking is the bugbear of poker.

Cosimo
08-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Having just had a mostly successful run at the OIC, I suggest giving it a try. I had never played above 2-4 before, and I wound up getting to 10-20. I'm much more comfortable at my current limit (1-2) now, and it's easier for me to see higher limits more benignly.

Take a shot. If you're multi-tabling, play one table at the higher limit. Just play your normal game; don't fret it.

It's just money.

stillbr
08-01-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having just had a mostly successful run at the OIC, I suggest giving it a try. I had never played above 2-4 before, and I wound up getting to 10-20. I'm much more comfortable at my current limit (1-2) now, and it's easier for me to see higher limits more benignly.

Take a shot. If you're multi-tabling, play one table at the higher limit. Just play your normal game; don't fret it.

It's just money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about these things. I know a monitary goal isnt the best thing to have, but its a challenge, not a performance goal.

I also thought about one or two sessions a week playing one table of 10-20 and really focusing on my game, but decided against this for right now. I really just want to try this challange and see how it goes.

spaminator101
08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
good luck