PDA

View Full Version : Two instances of overplaying AAxx?

PorscheNGuns
08-01-2005, 11:07 AM
$100 PLO, both times I'm in the early position and limped with AAxx (the xx being totally uncoordinated). Both times I had a $100 stack and both times there was a pot raise and 2 callers behind me, leaving me with the option to reraise the pot to about $40, which, if called, the pot would then be big enough so that it would allow me to push my whole stack in on the flop as the first to act.

I did this both times, and was called by only the raiser both times. Both times the flop came rags and I pushed all in against my single, prflop raising opponent.

Before I show results, do you think I'm playing AA wrong here?

Ok the first time I lost my whole stack but only because I was called on the flop by KKxx, who had nothing on the flop but rivered a king. The second time I doubled up on some idiot who called the Q83 rainbow flop with 9876 (only a pair of eights, no straight or flush draw) and I held up.

So IOW, did I get lucky to be facing two total idiots in these two hands? Or am I correct to continue playing AA this way - hoping to push all in against one opponent no matter what the flop comes?

Thanks

-Matt

joewatch
08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I think this has been discussed before, but basically, you are giving correct implied odds to the other players if you are getting less than 75% of your stack in preflop.

autobet
08-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Looks fine. Reraising preflop, and being able to go all in (or almost all in) on the flop is the perfect situation to raise with rag Aces.

fuzzbox
08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this has been discussed before, but basically, you are giving correct implied odds to the other players if you are getting less than 75% of your stack in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that true, how how how how ?
What are you basing that 75% statistic on ?

barongreenback
08-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I had question like this. Reraise OOP with AAxx. 2 or 3 callers. What pot size relative to your remaining chips do you become committed to push whatever the flop?

(btw my thoughts were that I would be behind if called but maybe I should reevaluate. With those calls I can't see the play being wrong.)

James

08-02-2005, 11:44 PM
I dont think either opponent made a mistake calling you on either street. Preflop they are getting 2-1 and thats not really bad in omaha. Plus if they hit any kind of a hand, they know they are going to get the rest of your money.On the flop they can definately call your all in bet (with the reasonable assumption that you have aces) with a lone pair since they have 11 outs twice and they are getting better than two to one odds.
This doesnt make your plays a mistake infact i dont see anything wrong at all, but they are not idiots for doing what they did.

08-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I agree with some of the people above that you need to get more of your chips in the pot to play AAxx like that. Also, be aware that when u reraise like that people will put you on exactly AAxx, so even if they just flop a pair they could pair one of their kickers or hit trips, which gives them a lot of outs. If they get 2 pair, they know it's a monster compared to your hand.

PorscheNGuns
08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
But then theoretically, isnt that exactly what I want? Someone to hit an 8 or 11 outer and then draw at it for all their chips? Knowing that I have AA and that they have a chance at bad beating me? That was my thinking here - I want them to know I have AA so go ahead and call with anything to outdraw me.

-Matt

08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
you only make a profit when they are making a mistake. They are not making a mistake calling you on the flop with bottom pair if they know you have aces, given the pot odds they are getting.

The money you make from playing aces that strong comes from the strength of AA preflop compared to your opponents hand.

I'm not sure how much you give up when you give away your hand though.