PDA

View Full Version : Playing AQ suited

Piper Tim
08-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Playing two overcards when the flop misses is hard for me. I have a hard time deciding what to do. When players check to me, I have a tendency to bet, unless I have noticed a player setting others up with CR's.

With a small pot is it best to bet out and try take the pot right then?

Under what conditions should one take the free card?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

POKhER
08-01-2005, 10:45 AM
No reads/Pt stats over 100+hands will do... even 50hands is ok i suppose?

I bet, If they both call they have a chunk.

if i dont hit my ace on the turn, ill bet out with reads or take a free card without.

2+2 Junkie
08-01-2005, 10:48 AM
You have positions so I would bet here, there is a chance that you have the best hand.
They also might fold.
If they don't fold, you normally can see the river for that 1SB, because if they do hit on the turn, they love to check to the raiser/bettor so they can CR.
If they do the CR play on the flop, easy release.

xenthebrain
08-01-2005, 10:49 AM
bet now and take the freecard on the turn

bozlax
08-01-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With a small pot is it best to bet out and try take the pot right then?

Under what conditions should one take the free card?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should only consider taking a free card if you don't think there's a card that could come that would turn your winning hand into a losing hand (that's the important part for THIS hand...read the free card section in SSH for a more-complete discussion).

You're ahead right now, unless one of your opponents has a K, 9 or 8 or is holding a pocket pair. Any card that comes that isn't an ace or queen could give an opponent a pair or set. Therefore, I would say bet, trying to take the pot right there.

If raised on this flop, I'd call and fold the turn UI. Note that you have a BDNFD, so any club improves your hand, and you'd have the odds to call a bet on the turn. Any jack gives you a gutshot straight draw, which doesn't give you the odds to call on the turn.

McGahee
08-01-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When players check to me, I have a tendency to bet, unless I have noticed a player setting others up with CR's.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really the key. These are a lot harder to play OOP. As long as my opponents are passive I usually autobet this in position in a 3-way pot, and take the free turn card if I want it.
This is an awful flop for AQ though.

Fantam
08-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Some of the things to consider when playing overcards are:

1. How connected the board is.
2. Whether you have a backdoor flush draw.
3. How many opponents you have.

Overcards are basically a weak draw to usually top pair, which could still lose to a better hand such as a flush, straight, set or 2 pair.

The more connected a board is, the more likely you could lose to a flush or straight if you make your pair. Also you could be reverse dominated by someone who has already paired the board and has for example an A kicker.

If you have a backdoor flush draw, it improves your hand because if someone else makes a flush on the turn, you will usually have a redraw to a higher flush.

The fewer opponents you have, the more likely your hand will be best if you make top pair, and sometimes your hand may win unimproved.

In your hand example, you have an A overcard and the nut flush backdoor draw. You have also been checked to by both your opponents on the flop and the pot is small.

In this instance, I would bet the flop which might win the pot straight away. Also if both your opponents call it might buy you a "free card" on the turn if a blank falls and they both check to you.

If that happened, you could bet the turn and if called and checked to on the river, then check behind unimproved. Or else you could take the free card on the turn and call a river bet if another blank falls.

Your choice of action may depend on how passive you thought your opponents were and how likely they might be to fold to a turn bet.

Duerig
08-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Bet. I usually bet the turn also.

johnc
08-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I like your chances esp 3-handed. Betting is your best option, you may have the best hand right now. UTG &amp; BB didn't show any real strength so far, no reads - their ranges of hands is pretty big. I feel you fold equity combined with your overcards &amp; a BDFD screams bet. It will also better define your hand at this point.

TomBrooks
08-01-2005, 12:52 PM
I'd bet as a semi-bluff. Both checked to you so they probably don't have a King. That means you probably have 9 outs if they call you with middle or bottom pair: A, Q, BDF, BDStrt. They could be on straight draws also.