PDA

View Full Version : Wells Doesn't Run Dry

andyfox
03-10-2003, 07:46 PM
David Wells accepted a $100,000 fine imposed by the New York Yankees on Monday for inflammatory revelations in his autobiography.

I'm a Yankee fan, but isn't there something wrong with an organization that fines a player for writing a book but sees nothing wrong with giving millions of dollars to other players who have apparently never read one? Or that sees nothing wrong with a pitcher throwing a pitch at the head of another player and then throwing a bat at him, but does see something wrong with a lesser quality pitcher exercising his first amendment rights?

B-Man
03-10-2003, 11:36 PM
I'm a Yankee fan, but isn't there something wrong with an organization that fines a player for writing a book but sees nothing wrong with giving millions of dollars to other players who have apparently never read one? Or that sees nothing wrong with a pitcher throwing a pitch at the head of another player and then throwing a bat at him, but does see something wrong with a lesser quality pitcher exercising his first amendment rights?

Yes and yes. But in defense of the "Evil Empire" they didn't violate his First Amendment rights--he has a right to say what he wants, but they have a right to discipline their employee if he says things that reflect poorly on them.

Clemens is a mean-spirited bastard and he definitely should be punished every time he does something like throw a bat at Piazza. Pedro throws at (and hits quite a few) batters, too, but Pedro doesn't throw at batters' heads, and if he hits someone it is usually in the ribs or the elbow or leg (but then again maybe he just has better control than Roger).

By the way Andy, how about that Contreras? Maybe giving $40mm to a pitcher that has never played in the big leagues wasn't such a great idea...

Zeno
03-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Did David Wells have a ghostwriter? If so, he should pay part of the fine.

It is interesting that the Yankees can fine Mr. Wells for "telling the truth". Your insightful questions illuminate, not only the disarray in thinking, but also the ataxia of the Yankee organization.

Go Mariners! (Now that Lou is basking down in Florida)

-Zeno

andyfox
03-11-2003, 01:40 AM
I guess they did OK with El Duque, so they figured what the heck. I wouldn't be surprised if Weaver ends up the ace of the staff this year.

I agree with your characterization of Clemens. Oh well, hopefully others appreciate the class acts on the team like Jeter and Williams.

IrishHand
03-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Great rationale. You just said that free speech is protected so long as a person is free to express what he wants, but its ok if he's punished for saying it.

Of course, the actual reason they didn't violate his 1st Amend. rights is that they aren't a government institution.

Irish

PS. Clemens is one of the top 5 pitchers of the past 20 years. Throwing at players is part of the game - if they don't want to get thrown at, they shouldn't step into the box.

B-Man
03-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Great rationale. You just said that free speech is protected so long as a person is free to express what he wants, but its ok if he's punished for saying it.

Wrong again Irish. I didn't say either; if you want to have an argument with yourself, go ahead, but don't put words in my mouth or create false equivalencies. You really do give lawyers a bad name.

I suspect I know more about the 1st amendment then you will ever know, but that is beside the point.

PS. Clemens is one of the top 5 pitchers of the past 20 years. Throwing at players is part of the game - if they don't want to get thrown at, they shouldn't step into the box.

Better than that, he is one of the top 3 pitchers of the last 20 years (arguably #1), but that doesn't mean he's not a jerk. And if you think intentionally throwing at someone's head should be part of the game, then you are an idiot. Just because it happens from time to time that doesn't mean it is justified. There is a big difference between hitting someone in the leg or the ribs, and hitting them in the head. Ever heard of Tony C.?

B-Man
03-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Bernie and Jeter are class acts, for sure, even from the vantage point of a Red Sox fan. The Yankees of the mid and late 90s were a tough team to hate--until they traded for Clemens. :-)

IrishHand
03-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Explain to me how:
he has a right to say what he wants, but they have a right to discipline their employee if he says things that reflect poorly on them
is any different from
a person is free to express what he wants, but its ok if he's punished for saying it.

Also, kudos for as usual breaking off your typical "you're wrong" with no explanation or reasoning, then tossing in an attempt at an insult. Of course, I stand in awe of your mastery of the 1st Amendment.

B-Man
03-11-2003, 12:21 PM
You were wrong--you attributed a statement to me which I had never made. I thought that was clear, but here is an explanation: Irishhand was wrong because he said B-Man said X, when B-Man in fact did not say X. Understand? I'm sure you do, since you do that all the time. Do you have nothing better to do than argue on this site? It is clear many of your posts serve no rational purpose and do nothing to advance any meaningful discussion of whatever the topic is, but are intended solely to annoy whoever you are responding to (latest example--your response to M's suggestion of burying Muslim terrorists in pig skins). You must be bored at your government job and have a lot of free time to kill, that's all I can figure.

Wells has a right to say whatever he wants. Explain to me how that is inconsistent with the Yankees having a right to discipline an employee.

(if you don't get it, let me help you out-I never said Wells had a right to say whatever he wants without any consequences whatsoever, which is what you seem to be implying I meant. Can he be thrown in jail for what he said? No. Can he be fined or suspended by the Yankees? In this case, apparently yes. Could he be punished by his employer if he was a government employee? Very different question).

andyfox
03-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Lou has always basked down in Florida, that's apparently why he took the job, it's near his home. And having spent some time in Seattle, anywhere else is basking compared to Seattle. Great city, just not a lot of sunny days.

The AL West should be interesting, with both Seattle and Oakland with new managers and the Angels no longer wannabes.