PDA

View Full Version : Wrap from button get's check raised

jhall23
08-01-2005, 10:40 AM
What's the best play here? Would your play change at all if the flop was rainbow?

SB in this hand has seemed realtively aggressive in the 2 orbits I have played.

Also, what about PF. Looking back I'm wondering whether I should be raising (pot?) this from the button. Decided not to since the gap was at the high end. FWIW, my pre-flop raise % is hovering at around 4-6% right now.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 ($3.70)
MP1 ($42.40)
MP2 ($41.85)
CO ($40.80)
Hero ($24.10)
SB ($26.25)
BB ($4.60)
UTG ($38)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $6</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 folds, CO folds

joewatch
08-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Call the flop bet here. You have good odds to have a made str8 pay off on the turn since you have position and you might even pick a flush draw on the turn to add to your 17-outer. I would fold if the turn paired.

Tilt
08-01-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the best play here? Would your play change at all if the flop was rainbow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Joe here. If it was a rainbow board however I'd shove in.

joewatch
08-01-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you might even pick a flush draw on the turn to add to your 17-outer

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, there is no backdoor flush draw here. I was posting half-awake!

autobet
08-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Raising preflop is fine. You don't need a perfect hand to raise.

With a marginal draw I am usually just calling the raise and looking at the turn. Reraising might be correct against a player who might lay down a set.

jhall23
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys! I jammed and had a feeling that it probably wasn't correct here and calling would have been better.

[ QUOTE ]
Raising preflop is fine. You don't need a perfect hand to raise.

With a marginal draw I am usually just calling the raise and looking at the turn. Reraising might be correct against a player who might lay down a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

My draw is marginal here because of the 2 flush correct?

I don't know of many (any?) players at these tables who would fold a set here. Supporting the fact that my jamming here was not the best move.

autobet
08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
not only the flush draw, but a Q or 10 do not make you the nut straight.

You are hoping to be up against a set here, as it makes it most likely that most or all of your outs are good. If you are being raised by a big draw, you are probably drawing slim.

wuarhg
08-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Does anyone just like a check behind on the flop here? I mean, your outs don't look too good especially with a diamond draw out there, and you really don't like being check-raised here. Some of your outs are not to the nuts and with this huge field someone will probably call the flop with alot of crap.

Or where you betting the flop in hopes of getting a freecard on the turn?

PorscheNGuns
08-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't go drawing at non-nut straights with flush draws on the board.

-Matt

jhall23
08-08-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone just like a check behind on the flop here? I mean, your outs don't look too good especially with a diamond draw out there, and you really don't like being check-raised here. Some of your outs are not to the nuts and with this huge field someone will probably call the flop with alot of crap.

Or where you betting the flop in hopes of getting a freecard on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a problem with checking behind here on the flop since there are 5 others in the pot. The reason I bet it was pretty much just to take down the pot right there/disguise my straight if I hit. People are pretty straight forward in these games so my bet on the flop should win the pot without a fight a decent amount of time and was the main reason why I made it. However, with 5 others it probably won't win the 50% of the time it needs to to justify the odd's on that bet alone but my outs should cover me there. I like to stay agressive in position to avoid being overly nut-peddly to help with the image. I know it probably isn't a huge issue at these tables but it will help against some opponents and I am trying to not start bad habits.

Also in regards to the flop bet, if I do get called I will often get checked to on the turn and can take a free card as you suggessted. Or alternatively if it get's heads up and I have the right opponent I can pump again on the turn and expect to take down the pot, very opponent specific though.

Brad22
08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
What's wrong with pushing here? The board gave a four-flush, and a straight here is too vulnerable to getting cracked.

Comments?