PDA

View Full Version : Quiz

Louie Landale
03-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Playing holdem. 4 players call and you call on the button with 33, the blinds are in, and 7 of you take the flop. Now the BB is an aggressive player so surely does NOT have any quality hand since he didn't raise.

The flop is Qh7h3c. The (aggressive) BB player bets, gets 2 calls, you raise, and they all call; 4 take the turn.

Turn is 2s. BB bets again, gets 2 calls, you raise again, and 4 of you take the river. The (aggressive) BB does NOT need to have improved in order to bet out on the turn.

What card do you want on the river?

- Louie

Mike Gallo
03-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Louie,

I would like the case 3, especially if its the three of hearts.
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
03-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, the last 3 is a very nice card, as MG said expecially if it is the three of hearts. However, also nice would be any remaining Q's or 7's, because you fill out and are guaranteed to be paid off when the BB (probably) bets and you raise by anyone who stuck around with Qx or second pair. Blanks are fine -- you likely have been ahead since the flop. Hearts other than the 3h are scary, but I think you still have to call if a heart falls because the pot is so large and there is still a good chance you hold the best hand.

Easy E
03-10-2003, 11:08 PM
The 3h would be nice, but don't think it would make you any money.
You don't want most of the hearts, because someone, maybe the BB, has the flush draw (unless they are all idiots).
The 2h is not going to get you much, since most people aren't going to coldcall all this way, WITHOUT raising, with only the top pair.

I would like any black Ace, possibly a black King, whichever you perceive would tie on the most people. BB possibly has Ax suited/Kx suited or offsuit, matching a low
card. Others might be calling with weaker two pairs or Q-medium kicker, knowing the BB is a maniac, and therefore discounting your raises as trying to force others out.

Another Q might be worth the risk. Another 7 could also tie people on and is great disguise for your hand.

So, I'll take (in order of preference)
Black A
Black K
Black 7
Queen

Ray Zee
03-11-2003, 01:08 AM
im probably missing something here but-- the last three, then a non heart king, then a deuce.

the pot is too large to let someone make a sraight or something that was tagging along. and you hoping to win an extra bet by letting them make something to call.

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-11-2003, 11:36 AM
3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Louie Landale
03-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Sorry, I wrote the quiz wrong; flop was supposed to be Qs7h3h, and I was looking for the "Qh" answer. Its unlikely anybody has QsUp on the turn, you clearly want a card that improves as many players as possible without actually outdrawing you; and top pair or a flush draw are the most reasonable hands out. (This situation, BTW, came up for me years ago. Yes, I knew I wanted the Qh and that's what I got).

So I'd say Qh, 2h, case 3, any Q/7/2, non-heart A or K.

Anticipating what you want or do not want is a pretty routine procedural matter. Doing so forces you to objectively evaluate the current situation much clearer than you would if you waited to see what came and THEN tried to figure out how that matches the before-card situation.

- Louie

Schmed
03-12-2003, 11:17 AM
obviously I would want the other 3 but outside of that the 2h wouldn't be all that bad either..............

Easy E
03-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Sure, screw us all up...

Louie, do you assume that, unless someone had an overpair or one Q, other non-heart cards wouldn't generate more action (1 bet per many people) as opposed to, at most, 2 bets from one person with a Queen (presumably the aggressive player)?

I wouldn't expect to see 2 Queens out there, or should I expect one with a weak kicker, if a Queen (heart or other) came on the river?

Louie Landale
03-12-2003, 06:58 PM
A heart may stop a loose call from a 7, but a Q isn't going to, and rightfully so: when a Q comes on the river, the chances for the 7 winning have INCREASED since that's one less Q out that someone else can have.

Anyway, probably getting 1 bet from 3 players (when a rag comes) isn't better than definately getting 2 bets from 1 player (when a heart pairs the board), and maybe getting 2 bets from 2 players.

- Louie