PDA

View Full Version : Betting When Flopping Quads

InAPipeDream
08-01-2005, 07:54 AM
I was in a $50 SnG tourney at PS (average chip stack, 4 players left) with Q7c in the BB. 1st position calls, SB limps in, I check.

Flop: 7 7 7 !!!

I freaked for a minute, but immediately checked hoping someone would bet w/ A high. Everyone checked.

Turn: A

I figure I HAD to bet now. I bet 75% of the pot, assuming both would fold and I would just have to settle for the small pot right then and there, or get a call with someone holding an A. 1st position calls, SB folds. I obviously put the caller on an A now, landing their full house.

River: K

I now bet 3x the pot, raising my stack quite a bit, or taking the pot without a show. He called, and showed his A.

Is there more I could have gotten from this? This was a fairly conservative player. I believe my bad move was either not making a small bet on the flop, or not going all in after the river card and take my chances with a call. I didn't bet on the flop because I was the BB, and thought they would sniff my 7 immediately. Even if they didn't, I would expect them to fold a bluff bet and not want to deal with that hand. Anyway, any feedback or thoughts on how to play this type of hand would be great...it was my first.

diebitter
08-01-2005, 09:03 AM
I'd've winced a little and lent back in my seat when he bet the turn, and checked the river pretty quick. Whatever he goes in for, x2-3 it unless it's tiny, in which case bet the pot maybe (but slow, like you got the king and you think he might be bluffing an ace). Of course, he may not have gone in for anything, but that's poker.

David04
08-01-2005, 09:37 AM
No limit, I would be inclined to check this unless I had a reputation as an aggressive player. If this were a limit game I would bet the flop.

durron597
08-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Stack sizes would be hugely important in this post.

InAPipeDream
08-01-2005, 10:49 AM
I was at approximately 2500
Player 1 was at 4000
SB was at 5000

I was the average stack, the other 2 players left had 1500 and a little under 2000.

driller
08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Considering how often this happens, whatever strategy you use won't affect your long term results very much. Much like Ed Miller's example in SSH of a player who played otherwise well, but folded everytime he flopped a royal.

David04
08-01-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Considering how often this happens, whatever strategy you use won't affect your long term results very much. Much like Ed Miller's example in SSH of a player who played otherwise well, but folded everytime he flopped a royal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quads are a lot more common than royal flushes. And besides, Miller was talking about a cash game, this is a tournament.

PokrLikeItsProse
08-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I've met many an internet player who says it is an auto-fold if you had gone all-in on the river. I've yet to meet an internet player who I think would actually fold.

You should have gone ahead and made a pot sized bet on the turn. Either he has an ace or he doesn't. The only reason to make a smaller bet is if you are trying to entice a small pair to call you down.

You should also note the blind sizes. If your river bet was more than half your stack, you certainly should have just gone all-in.