PDA

View Full Version : I dont belive in luck

BirdieLongSocks
08-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Since I started playing poker a year ago my view of the term "luck" has changed greatly.
In the beggining I thought it punished me for whatever reason when I was doing bad, and praising me for whatever reason when I was doing good.

HOWEVER, reading in this forum made me ounderstand that there is no such thing as luck, luck is just a name for something most of us dont really ounderstand. I mean, in my belief it aint luck/faith/destiny that decides which side of the dice its gonna show, its how you throw it, what it landed on etc, we sum that up in the term "luck".

This view on the term "luck" has made me a MUCH better player since I realize the "laws of luck".

This is probobly not grammaticly correct and the spelling will make you cry, i know, but I hope it might give insight to someone.

ryanghall
08-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Anyone who believes in luck probably isn't very good at poker.

Ryan

NYCNative
08-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't believe in luck. But I do believe in randomness.

stu-unger
08-01-2005, 01:31 PM
i don't believe luck decides the winners and the losers. i do believe that sometimes it is your day and sometimes it isn't. if u want to turn this 'sometimes' into a word i think luck or variance is the proper term. if u r a winning player variance, luck, voodoo, or getting hit by the bad beat stick shouldn't stop u from winning in the long run, but i think it can impare your short term wins.

dtbog
08-01-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in luck. However, I believe in it as a concept that can only be applied AFTER the random events have in question have already occurred.

Consider this: you're betting on coinflips with your friend. You agree to bet $1 on each flip and do it ten times. He wins nine times.

Is he more likely to win the next coinflip? Obviously not. Is he inherently 'luckier' than you as a person? Still no.

However, if you're telling your buddies about it afterwards, you're going to say he got lucky. It's true -- he did.

tripdad
08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

is rubbing your cards against your hot irish nuts before you look at them considered beleiving in luck? if so, guilty i am.

cheers!