PDA

View Full Version : Not calling bubble enough?

08-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Party 10+1 LV5+

So far I've only been calling on the bubble (with about 3-4x bb) (4-5 ppl left), with AA,KK, QQ, JJ, 10s, AK, AQ....Call rarely with KQ, AJ, A10 when short stack pushes with less than half my stack.

I know that there are a number of hands ie. 99,88,77,A9 which would more than often be a big or small favorite over someone's pushing hand, meaning I should call. But I prefer to fold instead of calling with a stronger hand, and be the raiser with a weaker hand beacause I then have the chance to win the pot without "gambling".

im sure thats a run-on sentence ^^ but anyways...
With no read,
What hands should I call a equal/bigger stack with?
What hands should I call a 1/2 size stack with?

Should I not be afraid to gamble with a guy on the bubble?

I know Aleomagus strategy (which I use) says to tighten up on the bubble, but I feel like the fish are taking advantage of this.

Im pretty confused, thx as always for any advice, Brian

08-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Bubble play is my favourite part of SNGs.

You have analyse the blinds, stack sizes, position and estimate people's push/calling standards to make an accurate decision in any situation. All of these factors play an important part in your decision making process.

Unfortunately there is no set hands to call a push with. Basically you need to rely on experience (gained by playing, reading this forum and books and using software like Eastbay's SNGPT) to make the correct decision. Generally speaking, Aleomagus strategy is far too tight against frequent bubble pushes. Its not much help but in general, loosen up your calling range if the blinds are big and tighten when the blinds are small or if the shortstack is REALLY short. You must keep in mind that your chips are more valueable than the chips you gain and that 'the Gap' is very big when there is only 4 players (i.e. Push more often than call).

I'm sorry I can't recommened any specific hands to call/push because bubble play is such a dynamic yet fun part of the game.

bmxreed36
08-01-2005, 05:29 AM
Also, loosen up your calling standards when you are the shortest stack (2/3 or less of 3rd stack) as you will probably at some point have to double up anyway. When you are the big stack, be willing to call any short stack if you are getting 2 to 1 or better odds and chips to spare. Overall it is best to be the raiser rather than the caller and the situation and each player's aggressiveness are all factors. But if you play overly tight you will sometimes miss out on some chips that may be the difference between a third place finish and a first.

tigerite
08-01-2005, 05:42 AM
You should probably look at my 'possibly the longest bubble ever' that I just posted. I played pretty much the best bubble play I ever have to come through that (maybe even missed a couple of opportunities, but very few). I even went on to win the whole tourney after it too.