PDA

View Full Version : Cops: slow down

TheMainEvent
08-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Let me say first of all that I have nothing but respect for police officers. They are clearly underpaid and underappreciated by the communties they serve.

With that out of the way, can someone tell me why cops have to drive so god damn fast. I was going about 80 mph on I-84 and one passed me going so fast that I felt like I was standing still. It was like a blur, he had to be doing 130. He didn't have his lights on either, so I assume there was no emergency. I know they are trained in driving but to me there is no reason to drive well in excess of 100mph unless there is an actual life or death situation. I don't care who you are, it is unsafe and unnessasary.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-01-2005, 04:24 AM
agreed. a ton of cops are jerkstores too.

bennyk
08-01-2005, 05:21 AM
is anyone else sick and tired of bitches bragging about how they got out of speeding tickets by crying? [censored] that noise.
bk

BusterStacks
08-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Cops are not underpaid. Nobody is.

DasLeben
08-01-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to back up this statement? I can very readily identify one job off the top of my head that contradicts this statement.

08-01-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to back up this statement? I can very readily identify one job off the top of my head that contradicts this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe what he is saying is that in our economy, the market sets the wages, and so the market determines what is a fair wage for each person. Therefore, nobody is overpaid or underpaid.

Not saying I agree with that, but it's possible.

bholdr
08-01-2005, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

libertarian scum. POLITCS FORUM! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bholdr
08-01-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know they are trained in driving but to me there is no reason to drive well in excess of 100mph unless there is an actual life or death situation. I don't care who you are, it is unsafe and unnessasary.

[/ QUOTE ]

first, it's NOT unsafe in a car built for it with a trained, sane driver. it is, of course, unsafe as sharing needles if it's done with other cars anywhere near the speeder.

second, it can be fun. i've gone a helluva lot faster than that on a deserted, moonlit montana freeway (as a passenger, of course, i am not a race car driver, thouth the car's 'pilot' was.)

third, as a rule, you're right. but there are exceptions. and when you're doing a buck-thirty in traffic, it IS a life or death situation. [/unfunny little witticisim]

ryanghall
08-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Bull.

Just because you can't drive 100mph under safe road conditions on a straight highway when the flow of traffic is above normal doesn't mean other people can't do it safely and successfully.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bull.

Just because you can't drive 100mph under safe road conditions on a straight highway when the flow of traffic is above normal doesn't mean other people can't do it safely and successfully.

[/ QUOTE ]

"can" and "should" are two entirely different things.

shadow29
08-01-2005, 12:43 PM
[censored] the cops.

08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Then why have speed limits? Shouldn't they just test people for their high-speed driving acuity?

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice, Buster. Very well put.

Also, if they're "underappreciated" for the service they provide it's largely because of things like driving 130 mph. Unfortunately, too many of them think their job makes them more important than anyone else, despite the fact that many, if not most, of them do it poorly.

slamdunkpro
[ QUOTE ]
With that out of the way, can someone tell me why cops have to drive so god damn fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they answer to no one.

[ QUOTE ]
I know they are trained in driving but to me there is no reason to drive well in excess of 100mph unless there is an actual life or death situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It never is it's their ego pushing the pedal.

mslif
Sometimes cops will be dispatched to calls and not put on their sirens because other drivers drive like [censored] when they hear sirens.
If the traffic is flowing and the road is clear, they will not use sirens.
Everybody has been in that senario where you hear a siren behind you and start to slow down thinking it's you.
I am not saying that it the right thing to do but I definitely understand knowing how some people drive.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-01-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bull.

[/ QUOTE ]
Take your life in your own hands, but if you're going 100+ mph when there are other people on the road, you are nothing more than an ignorant, irresponsible prick endagering other people's lives for your own selfish [censored] purposes. I don't care if you're Juan [censored] Montoya.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know they are trained in driving

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, police training is just enough to make them dangerous. They receive just enough training to make them think they're experts.

08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
This is different than what job?

slickpoppa
08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, if they're "underappreciated" for the service they provide it's largely because of things like driving 130 mph. Unfortunately, too many of them think their job makes them more important than anyone else, despite the fact that many, if not most, of them do it poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about people who served in the armed forces. They think they are so important because they "served their country" even though all they did was do their jobs like everyone else. Unfortunately, too many of them think that they are hot sh*t despite the fact that most of them are uneducated hicks.

Damn, making ridiculous generalizations is fun.

zoomOut
08-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Let me say first that I have almost no respect for police officers. They are clearly paid well enough and overappreciated by the communties they serve.

Like slamdunkpro said, they do it because they answer to no one and everyone sings their praises. In my small community they intimidate the hell out of men, women and teenagers. They are bullies. They are bored out of their mind and have giant egos. Ask yourself what kind of person would want to be a police officer.

STLantny
08-01-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know they are trained in driving

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, police training is just enough to make them dangerous. They receive just enough training to make them think they're experts.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are an expert this because you have no training or what? Or do you have a lot of driver training?

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if they're "underappreciated" for the service they provide it's largely because of things like driving 130 mph.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this not true? Whether the belif is correct or not, is this not a reason they're underappreciated?

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, too many of them think their job makes them more important than anyone else, despite the fact that many, if not most, of them do it poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this not true? Do you disagree that "many" of them do not have this attitude? Do you disagree that "many" of them do the job poorly? It's not entirely their fault because they're trained poorly, but I'm afraid it is correct.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I didn't make any generalizations. I commented on a generalization that many people make, and then qualified my comments as "many". Nowhere did I imply "all".

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is different than what job?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of jobs. But really the point is that no one dies, including the policeman himself, if most jobs are done poorly.

Sponger15SB
08-01-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, [censored] the cops, unless one of them gets killed on duty, then we will have an outpouring of love and sympathy for a few days....

PITTM
08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i like how just because a theory that thinks this exists, people will state this as fact...good times...there is no argument possible for the other site of the issue.

rj

mslif
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statements like this one are completety retarded.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
And you are an expert this because you have no training or what? Or do you have a lot of driver training?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not have any special driver training. I do have anough training in some other aspects of their job to know that many of them do it poorly.

However, anyone that is halfway observant probably sees them doing absolutely idiotic things on a regular basis. How often do you see them stand out in the middle of traffic to write a ticket? Or obstruct traffic doing something very mundane like write a ticket? Or heaven forbid a traffic light goes down and one of them has to direct traffic (for some reason it seems most of them are completely incapable of performing that specific task).

Edge34
08-01-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me say first that I have almost no respect for police officers. They are clearly paid well enough and overappreciated by the communties they serve.

Like slamdunkpro said, they do it because they answer to no one and everyone sings their praises. In my small community they intimidate the hell out of men, women and teenagers. They are bullies. They are bored out of their mind and have giant egos. Ask yourself what kind of person would want to be a police officer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone I consider to be my best friend in this world has just finished his training to be a police officer. Not only are you almost entirely wrong, you're a douchebag too.

I guess you'd feel a lot better if there wasn't an organization out there doing their best to make sure somebody you piss off (which I'm sure you do plenty) doesn't just get fed up with it and off your pathetic ass.

99.9% of the morons who bash cops have no [censored] clue what actually goes on. Clearly plenty of them are showing up in this thread.

STLantny
08-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Edge34, I pretty much agree with you, but have no idea what kind of training cops receive, although I do notice some mundane [censored] that SOME cops do wrong, that could get someone hurt. Most of the time, I think that cops do the wrong thing beacause of hte moron public, who think they know better than a polic officer, and dont heed what the cops are trying to tell them to do.

slickpoppa
08-01-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if they're "underappreciated" for the service they provide it's largely because of things like driving 130 mph.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this not true? Whether the belif is correct or not, is this not a reason they're underappreciated?

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, too many of them think their job makes them more important than anyone else, despite the fact that many, if not most, of them do it poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this not true? Do you disagree that "many" of them do not have this attitude? Do you disagree that "many" of them do the job poorly? It's not entirely their fault because they're trained poorly, but I'm afraid it is correct.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I didn't make any generalizations. I commented on a generalization that many people make, and then qualified my comments as "many". Nowhere did I imply "all".

[/ QUOTE ]

It will probably be impossible to continue this discussion without getting bogged down in semantics. If more than one cop in this country does their job badly then I can't technically dispute your usage of the term "many." While what you said may be technically correct, the general tone in this thread is that the majority of cops are assholes and/or incompetent. I don't know exactly where you stand, but I just get pissed off when discussions like this degrade into total cop bashing. Yeah, some cops are assholes, but but there are assholes working at every job and I have no reason to believe that cops are more likely to be assholes. The problem is that the cops who are assholes have more power than other people.

drexah
08-01-2005, 01:24 PM
they're cops, they can do whatever the f. they want.

mslif
08-01-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone I consider to be my best friend in this world has just finished his training to be a police officer. Not only are you almost entirely wrong, you're a douchebag too.

I guess you'd feel a lot better if there wasn't an organization out there doing their best to make sure somebody you piss off (which I'm sure you do plenty) doesn't just get fed up with it and off your pathetic ass.

99.9% of the morons who bash cops have no [censored] clue what actually goes on. Clearly plenty of them are showing up in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
My ex-husband is a cop and people have no idea what they have to go through everyday. I am glad somebody else sees that.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, police serve an extremely necessary purpose. Actually, in my opinion, it's one of the only services the government should provide (but that's for another forum). It's also a very dangerous and difficult job.

However, that doesn't change the fact that many if them do develop some kind of God complex. I don't know if it's what they experience on the job, or whether people with this kind of attitude are just drawn to a job where they get to carry a gun, but I stand by that assessment. I'm not syaing they're all bad. I'd even say that a little bit of this attitude is necessary for them.

Regardless of this, they definitely to spend more on training for these people. Not only is the training inadequate, but in many cases it's just plain wrong.

zoomOut
08-01-2005, 01:30 PM
thank you very much for calling me a douchebag. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Can you not check your emotions just a little tiny bit?

I have never been arrested in my life. Only a few speeding tickets in my twenties. However, come to my community in northern Kentucky and try to call a cop for help or have teenagers who attend loud parties and tell me that they are not on a freaking power trip. They are bullies in my community is all I'm saying and just because I'm smart enough to see that cops are on a power trip doesn't make me someone who pisses people off. I always tell my kids to be extremely polite to cops because I'm afraid of them and what they will do. I don't have the nerve to mouth off to a cashier let alone a cop.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 01:55 PM
here's the bottom line: cops are no different from any other group in that a few bad apples can give the rest a bad image. are there bad cops? of course. just like there are bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad politicians, etc. but are the bad seeds the majority? probably not (i sure hope not). while i don't think there's anything wrong with going after the bad ones (in fact those that abuse their position should be prosecuted), clearly there is something wrong with making blanket generalizations against all cops based on the bad actions of a few.

that being said, the degree to which we have seen some cops abuse their position absolutely disgusts me.

TheMainEvent
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I think it is a factor of leadership more than anything. There are cities where the cops pretty much all suck because their superiors fail to hold them accountable for their actions.

RunDownHouse
08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I think one issue being overlooked is the selection bias. Sure, there are assholes in every walk of life. But assholes aren't drawn to being plumbers. For a bully who never grew up, being a cop is great. It allows you to validate and/or continue your behavior for the rest of your life in ways being an IT expert doesn't.

Jake, I'm with you on this one, and those arguing that "there's a bad apple in every bushel" doen't seem to be accounting for this selection bias.

08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about people who served in the armed forces. They think they are so important because they "served their country" even though all they did was do their jobs like everyone else. Unfortunately, too many of them think that they are hot sh*t despite the fact that most of them are uneducated hicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

For paratroopers, just doing your job does make you hot sh*t.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
http://student.fortlewis.edu/RCMEDBERY/2002_super_troopers_001.jpg

private joker
08-01-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't have his lights on either, so I assume there was no emergency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no huge fan of cops, but this assumption seems fallacious to me.

ThisHo
08-01-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the first half of this post makes the 2nd half irrelevant.

JDErickson
08-01-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

As someone who has a best friend who is a police officer and been along on a few high speed chases etc it loks like most people here have no clue how much training and procedure is actually involved. As someone else noted sirens freak people out, its entirely normal for an officer to run fast to an important call with no lights or sirens if there is no reason to use them. If traffic requires it they turn them on. I see this almost daily on freeways here.

To the others: If you want to break the laws then you have no reason to bitch at the people busting your ass for doing it.

JDErickson
08-01-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are clearly paid well enough and overappreciated by the communties they serve

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the Highway Patrol officers in Utah that starts at $18k per year and are required to be on public assistance to provide for their families.

pokerdirty
08-01-2005, 02:28 PM
"you know how fast you were going back there?"

"65?"

"63."

LMAO

rollingdirty
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To the others: If you want to break the laws then you have no reason to bitch at the people busting your ass for doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course we have a reason. The reason is that the majority of the laws are unnecessary, ill-advised, poorly-conceived, etc. etc. Of course, that's not the cops fault, but he's the target of opportunity. Personally, I don't take it out on the cop. I usually wait until I get home and ship it out to my mass political e-mail complaint list. God knows how many lists I'm on. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-01-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course we have a reason. The reason is that the majority of the laws are unnecessary, ill-advised, poorly-conceived, etc. etc. Of course, that's not the cops fault, but he's the target of opportunity. Personally, I don't take it out on the cop. I usually wait until I get home and ship it out to my mass political e-mail complaint list. God knows how many lists I'm on. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet you're a lot of fun down at the county courthouse, as well as your representative's office.

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, anyone that is halfway observant probably sees them doing absolutely idiotic things on a regular basis. How often do you see them stand out in the middle of traffic to write a ticket? Or obstruct traffic doing something very mundane like write a ticket? Or heaven forbid a traffic light goes down and one of them has to direct traffic (for some reason it seems most of them are completely incapable of performing that specific task).

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of my favorites:

The VA state trooper who won all kinds of awards and citations from the State Police, MADD and other temperance groups for have huge DWI/DUI arrest counts. It then turned out that he was targeting single women, pulling them over on “suspicion of DWI/DUI” and then offering to forget about it for sex. They had to dismiss about 300 pending court cases where he was the arresting officer.

I was in the fire department for a number of years. The Cop who pulled me over and cited me for speeding when I was driving an Ambulance with lights and sirens to a cardiac arrest. I went to court and the judge ate him a new a$$hole.

The minor fender bender that had been pushed off the road on the left shoulder on the approach to the Wilson Bridge (I95), despite the fact that 2 state police cars were there already, an Alexandria City cop had to drive like hell in and out of the back-up traffic, then park his cruiser smack in the left lane of 95 (beyond the accident) while he stood around watching the other cops work.

The police in our county are whining again that they don’t have enough money or cops (there is a personnel cap) to perform their basic function. They want millions for red light cameras, photo radar and more cops. But they seem to have enough cops to detail one to sit in the church parking lot near my house for 8 hours every day and ticket people who “run” a stop sign that used to be a yield sign until it was changed at the police department’s request. There are several instances of this type of thing in Fairfax County (we call them “Revenue Stops”)

Our county has more police helicopters than the state of Virginia and Maryland combined.

These are just a few examples. Having worked with the police (state and local) in many emergency situations (accidents, fires, disasters) I can pretty much say that most of their high speed driving is unnecessary and hazardous.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
So here’s my “I want to bitch about a cop” story since everyone else is doing it lately. I’m not using it as an example to prove or disprove anything so don’t start yelling “small sample” or whatever. I just think it’s a funny story.

I was in St. Louis a little over a year ago. I’m in the left lane of a very busy 6-lane road. I pull up to a stoplight with a few cars ahead of me. Anyway a car at the head of the middle lane starts smoking and stalls out. The light turns green and a few cars got through, but I didn’t make it and end up stopped just behind and left of the smoking car. I guess he called 911, or someone did because both the police dept and fire dept are like a couple of blocks from there and arrive before the rediculously-long light turns green again. It was really good response time.

Well the fire truck (a gigantic hook & ladder rig) driver decides it’s necessary to stop in the intersection so he’s blocking four lanes of traffic going one direction (N-S) and two lanes going the other (E-W). They all jump out of the truck and start suiting up in full gear. I swear there were like eight or nine of them and it looked like a Chinese fire drill or one of those clown cars with or something.

The stalled driver is still standing there with his hood open. And they all start looking under his smoking hood. Then they go into conference and then start looking again. Meanwhile a 340-pound cop has pulled up a few cars behind me, turned his lights on and is standing in the road back there waving his arms at cars that have nowhere to go.

Finally, I kind of wave at a fireman, getting his attention and point at the fire truck and shrug my shoulders. “How long?” He scowls at me and comes over to my truck. I roll down my window and before I can say anything, he yells, “Do you have a problem with me? Because if you have a problem, I can have the officer there (gesturing toward the policeman) come explain why you don’t want to have a problem with me!”

At that point, I get a little pissed. So I said, “All I wanted to know was how long you were going to obstruct traffic with your truck, but if it will make you feel better to have the officer come threaten me, then go right ahead. So he calls the cop over who storms over and leans all the way into the cab of my truck and starts yelling at me.

“Can’t you see this is a dangerous situation? That car is on fire! It’s dangerous! We can’t let cars drive by the “scene”. That car could explode! Etc. Etc. Etc.” Basically telling me to sit there and shut up.

So I said, “Well if it’s dangerous, then why do you have all these people sitting in cars so close?” My bumper was like 3 feet from the car on fire. “Maybe we should all be moving somewhere safe?”

“By the way, what’s your name and badge number?” At which point he actually turns his shoulder so I can’t see his badge, glares at me and walks off.

Anyway, traffic starts moving again a few minutes later, after they decide it makes sense to move the fire truck. Like I said, the police station is like a block away so I stop in and had a chat with the desk sergeant. He was a really nice guy. He kinda rolled his eyes and says, “Oh yea. I know who went over there,” meaning which cop it was. He said he’d take care of it, but who knows.

Edge34
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice story about their training and procedure. Well to debunk that crap a local news channel spent a few weeks following these cops that ran stop signs, went thru red lights with their lights on and turned them back off, and of course just sped everywhere. Well the results were as you all probly figured they were going nowhere important. They had it all on tape it was so funny when they would follow them from a distance to a restaurant and they would count how many stop signs and red lights they had run thru i laughed my ass off... Cops are worthless

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see how gullible you are, believing that one (undoubtedly) sensationalized story should account for all of them. Hell, that piece of "journalism" could have been set up, it could have been instances spread out over days, even weeks. But that aside...

Have you ever heard of "the thin blue line"? In simple terms, so someone like you will understand, police are basically the only thing keeping society from being complete chaos. I'm sure you'd like to have some line of defense from someone coming into your home and stealing all your stuff, I'm sure you'd like to have some defense from drunken drivers that have taken countless numbers of lives. If you weren't such an idiot, you'd understand.

Cops are worthless? Say that when someone kidnaps your son. Say that when your car gets stolen. Say that when someone shoots you because you copped an attitude with the wrong guy after having a few too many Coors Lights. Buffoon.

flatline
08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was in the fire department for a number of years. The Cop who pulled me over and cited me for speeding when I was driving an Ambulance with lights and sirens to a cardiac arrest. I went to court and the judge ate him a new a$$hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I can't believe that even a cop would do this. I would have loved to see that courtroom scene.

For the record, while I continue to think there are a ton of scum-sucking bastard cops, I have met enough good ones that I'd have to say I'm in the middle on this issue.

08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
At which point did you start talking to the policeman instead of the fireman? That part of the story is unclear.

08-01-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cops are worthless? Say that when someone kidnaps your son. Say that when your car gets stolen. Say that when someone shoots you because you copped an attitude with the wrong guy after having a few too many Coors Lights. Buffoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, but the third one is better handled by yourself, with a bullet to the guy's temple. It was self-defense, officer.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-01-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At which point did you start talking to the policeman instead of the fireman? That part of the story is unclear.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it was shortly after he told the fireman to suck his ass and the policeman came over and climbed through his window so he could yell at him better.

rollingdirty
08-01-2005, 03:20 PM

Edge34
08-01-2005, 03:23 PM
I would like to see the research that proves beyond doubt that "cops are worthless".

When you post things like that, don't expect people to believe that you're actually thinking things through. If you had a good enough argument, you wouldn't need to editorialize, you'd let your "research" do the talking.

TomCollins
08-01-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name it.

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you'd like to have some line of defense from someone coming into your home and stealing all your stuff,.....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Say that when someone kidnaps your son. Say that when your car gets stolen. Say that when someone shoots you because you copped an attitude with the wrong guy after having a few too many Coors Lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not the responsibility of the police to protect you from crime. Self-protection of your life and property is your responsibility (This has been argued and upheld in court countless times when someone tries to sue the police department because they were mugged, robbed, whatever)

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point...

"So he calls the cop over who storms over and leans all the way into the cab of my truck and starts yelling at me."

Edge34
08-01-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you'd like to have some line of defense from someone coming into your home and stealing all your stuff,.....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Say that when someone kidnaps your son. Say that when your car gets stolen. Say that when someone shoots you because you copped an attitude with the wrong guy after having a few too many Coors Lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not the responsibility of the police to protect you from crime. Self-protection of your life and property is your responsibility (This has been argued and upheld in court countless times when someone tries to sue the police department because they were mugged, robbed, whatever)

[/ QUOTE ]

My wording may not have been perfect...but use your brain, and think about this...

Police are a very nice thing to have when you get robbed, so you have somebody to call with the legal jurisdiction and the training to apprehend the offender.

Police are a wonderful deterrent from a large amount of crime. Were it not for the understanding that large numbers of officers will be on their case rather quickly, there would likely be a great deal more crime. Do we really want a vigilante society? I think not.

08-01-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point...

"So he calls the cop over who storms over and leans all the way into the cab of my truck and starts yelling at me."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I missed that sentence the first time. Yes, the cop in this case was a major [censored], and a lot of cops are. I think that lots of people who become cops crave power and want to abuse people. Granted, there are good cops, and I'd still call the cops if my son was kidnapped, because I pay taxes, and that's their job to serve me. But this doesn't mean that I have to lick the boots of the cops, as Edge34 seems to be saying.

I also think that most of the people who are trying to become cops right now should instead join the military. They would command a lot more respect because the job is much more honorable than being a police officer.

rollingdirty
08-01-2005, 03:44 PM

clutch
08-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I asked an off-duty cop about this once at a party. I asked him why they can drive so fast without lights or sirens, make illegal turns to pull into McDonald's and grab a burger if they feel like it, etc. He said it was because they take special urban driving courses. I asked where I can take these courses and earn a permit to drive like an [censored]. He got pissed off and walked away.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

swede123
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to say a (female) porn star who does bukakke flicks would definitely fall into the "underpaid" category, regardless of what she currently makes. Yes yes, I realize what Buster was saying when he made this statement, but you really can't put a price tag on getting jizzed on by dozens or even hundreds of dudes.

Swede

buck_thunder
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wording may not have been perfect...but use your brain, and think about this...

Police are a very nice thing to have when you get robbed, so you have somebody to call with the legal jurisdiction and the training to apprehend the offender.

Police are a wonderful deterrent from a large amount of crime. Were it not for the understanding that large numbers of officers will be on their case rather quickly, there would likely be a great deal more crime. Do we really want a vigilante society? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh...its also really nice to know that they probably sold the gun to the guy robbing you.....or dugs to the crackhead that shot you...etc etc. 95% of cops are completely worthless. Yeah its real useful to give a jaywalking ticket with no cars in sight. I swear they were all picked on as kids and now they get to carry a gun and bully people around. Its called SMALL PENIS SYNDROME, and all cops have it!! They are cops because they are too STUPID to contribute to society in any other capacity. Seriously - have you ever met an intelligent cop? I did once - but his badge said FBI - lol!!

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you really can't put a price tag on getting jizzed on by dozens or even hundreds of dudes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure she did.

RunDownHouse
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
getting jizzed on by dozens or even hundreds of dudes is priceless.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one is saying there should be no policing authority. The argument usually comes down to how much is too much. Anyway read a little and educate yourself and then if you still want to debate this let me know because i will fill this thread with studies full of facts and figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. One of the biggest issues with police is that many municipalities look upon the police forces as a revenue resource rather than a public safety resource thus perverting the original mission.

Sponger15SB
08-01-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you really can't put a price tag on getting jizzed on by dozens or even hundreds of dudes.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about, one hundred billion dollars...

http://www.fancyrobot.com/images/dr_evil_1.jpg

SmileyBukakEH
08-01-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
getting jizzed on by dozens or even hundreds of dudes is priceless.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

Bulldog
08-01-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"you know how fast you were going back there?"

"65?"

"63."

LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

You was doing fifty-five in a fifty-fo'.

Seriously though, never answer this question. Your answer can be used against you if you take it to court.

JDErickson
08-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Ironic this just came in on my email.

The following conversations were taken off actual police car recordings around the country:

"Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them for awhile."

"Take your hands off the car, and I'll make your birth certificate a worthless document."

"If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

"Can you run faster than 1,200 feet per second? In case you didn't know, that is the average speed of a 9mm bullet fired from my gun."

"So you don't know how fast you were going. I guess that means I can write anything I want on the ticket, huh?"

"Yes, Sir, you can talk to the shift supervisor, but I don't think it will help. Oh... did I mention that I am the shift supervisor?"

"Warning? You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket."

"The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not... Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

"Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where you go to ride on rides, eat cotton candy, and step in monkey crap."

"Yeah, we have a quota... Two more tickets and my wife gets a toaster oven."

"Just how big were those two beers, fellah?"

"No sir we don't have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

"I'm glad to hear the Chief of Police is a good personal friend of yours. At least you know someone who can post your bail."

"You didn't think we give tickets to pretty women ? You're right, we don't. Sign here."