PDA

View Full Version : The Penalty for Terrorism in Israel:

Chris Alger
08-01-2005, 03:24 AM
They promote you to Colonel. If Arabs shoot up an Israeli neighborhood or settlement, is that "terrorism?" Obviously, but according to the standards of the Free Press, only because they are Arabs. When the IDF does it they reprimand the leader and send him up the chain of command.

Two years ago, Lt. Col. Adam Zussman a green company on a "welcome march" through Gaza culminating with the firing of "hundreds of rounds" into Palestinian homes, which the IDF calls "deterring fire" (to deter them from frowning on terrorism against Israel?), possibly killing a 15-year-old kid, one of the 3,000 or so civilians killed by Israeli security forces since 2000. As today's Ha'aretz oints out, shooting randomly into people's houses gets you a "severe reprimand," but hardly disqualifies you from leading occupying forces, setting an example for the troops, and so on.

You won't see any editorials wondering aloud whether this wink-and-a-nod attitude toward terror evidences any flaw or drawback to Israeli, Jewish or Western culture. In fact, unless you read the Israeli press or this message board, you won't read about it at all.

The following is the full text of the article:

Senior officer linked to killing of Palestinian youth gets promoted

By Amos Harel, Haaretz Correspondent

Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Dan Halutz on Sunday authorized the promotion of a senior officer who was reprimanded for his role in an incident in which a Palestinian teenager was killed near the town of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip.

Lieutenant Colonel Adam Zussman, who is currently serving as a battalion commander, will be appointed as a brigade commander in the Southern Command and promoted in rank to colonel.

Two years ago, Zussman authorized a company which had just ended its basic training to hold a "battalion welcome march" in the southern Gaza Strip area.

During their march, the troops crossed an IDF outpost in the settlement of Morag, bordering with the Palestinian towns of Rafah and Khan Yunis, from where fire exchanges were common between the sides.

Zusmann allowed the troops to open "deterring fire" in the direction of nearby Palestinian homes. Palestinians later reported that a 15-year-old boy was killed in the area.

Military Police failed to link the company's fire to the death of the Palestinian youth, also because the Palestinians gave conflicting, and probably erroneous, reports on the time of his death.

The incident nevertheless raised sharp criticism in the IDF because the "deterring fire" consisted of hundreds of rounds and because the march exposed the troops to unnecessary danger.

Two weeks ago Zussman was placed on disciplinary hearing, at the recommendation of the Military Prosecution. He was charged with unlawful use of arms and was given a severe reprimand, but the court recommended not to hold back his promotion.

08-01-2005, 03:39 AM
Awful.

08-01-2005, 09:29 AM
You know, it's fine to have a problem with this. But to even imply that it is the equivalent of "terrorism" is a load of crap.

spoohunter
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know, it's fine to have a problem with this. But to even imply that it is the equivalent of "terrorism" is a load of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrorism is killing non military targets to promote political ends right?

MMMMMM
08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Terrorism is killing non military targets to promote political ends right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Change "killing" to "targeting" and I would say that would be closer to a better definition.

Matty
08-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Their Prime Minister was found to "bear personal responsibility" in the massacre of thousands of Palestinian civilians at Sabra and Shatilla by the Israeli Government itself. Sure didn't stop his promotions.

Oh, and Christians (the religion of peace) did the actual killing.

Gamblor
08-01-2005, 09:15 PM
So let me get this straight; assuming that this guy committed a crime and your article is accurate (an assumption I obviously question considering the general accuracy of reporting of Ha'aretz), are you now asking us to now agree that once a crime is committed and all penance served, one is immediately disqualified from all positions of power and respect for the remainder of his life?

ACPlayer
08-02-2005, 02:45 AM
For some crimes yes. Specially where the person misuses the powers of the position from which he is being promoted. This should be obvious to anyone, specially one with a military background.

But this is a repetitive pattern for the Israeli forces. Ignoring and/or disregarding this immoral terrorist behaviour is also a repetitive pattern for members of the Israeli forces.

Chris Alger
08-02-2005, 04:17 AM
It's been astaple of his career from the beginning, from the likely firebombing of civilian buses in 1947 to his personal ordering and supervision of the 1953 massacre at Qibya, as well as the other atrocities of Unit 101. In the IDF, the proven willingness to murder civilians is a resume enhancer.

etgryphon
08-02-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For some crimes yes. Specially where the person misuses the powers of the position from which he is being promoted. This should be obvious to anyone, specially one with a military background.

But this is a repetitive pattern for the Israeli forces. Ignoring and/or disregarding this immoral terrorist behaviour is also a repetitive pattern for members of the Israeli forces.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% Agree. Any time a "crime" involves the abuse of power, I think should disqualify you to be promoted. There should be no "appearance of evil". And what the heck is a "repremand" and then a promotion going to do for deterent sake.

Insane.

-Gryph

Felix_Nietsche
08-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Their Prime Minister was found to "bear personal responsibility" in the massacre of thousands of Palestinian civilians at Sabra and Shatilla by the Israeli Government itself. Sure didn't stop his promotions.
Palestinians murdered Lebanese Christians and the Lebanese Christians took revenge are Sabra and Shatilla. I guess the palestinians don't understand the concept of "cause and effect". /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Let me see if I understand the logic. If Lebanese Christians murder Palestinians, then.....IT MUST BE THE FAULT OF THE JEWS. Ahhhhhhh......now I understand. This sounds 'logical'. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gamblor
08-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Specially where the person misuses the powers of the position from which he is being promoted. This should be obvious to anyone, specially one with a military background.

That is only reasonable for military crimes that specifically disobey orders. In this case it is clear that while the commanding officer may have exceeded his moral imperative slightly, it should also be clear that there is an absolutely necessary grey area here.

ACPlayer
08-02-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this case it is clear that while the commanding officer may have exceeded his moral imperative slightly, it should also be clear that there is an absolutely necessary grey area here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly?

Really, I wonder what it would take for you to say he exceeded it without a qualifier!

Also, just having a grey area should be fine for holding back a promotion. Are you telling me that there are not enough clean officers in the Israeli forces that could be promoted other than this slight exceeder of moral imperatives?

Oops, perhaps there are not any clean officers left!

Gamblor
08-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Really, I wonder what it would take for you to say he exceeded it without a qualifier!

Do you really think excessive covering fire is such a heinous crime?

If he had murdered someone in cold blood I could see your point. If he had disobeyed orders that lead to the deaths of his soldiers or the failure of a mission, then yes.

Youre applying civilian peacetime rules and ethics to war zones.

ACPlayer
08-04-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think excessive covering fire is such a heinous crime?

[/ QUOTE ]

You were the one who said he exceeded his moral imperatives and added the word slightly.

I conclude from the fact that you offered this non-sequiter post that infact the Israeli forces dont have officers that can be promoted because others have exceeded their moral imperatives more than just "slightly". They just picked the best of a bad lot.

[ QUOTE ]
Youre applying civilian peacetime rules and ethics to war zones.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you applied the rules and agreed that he was at least a "slightly" bad apple.

Gamblor
08-04-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They just picked the best of a bad lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you would argue this because you love to find fault in the Jews. On what planet is strict adherence to the rules the only criterion for promotion?

God I hope you are never put in charge of anyone's safety.

Is it not possible that he's a strong leader, a brilliant tactician, and a brave soldier, who bent the rules slightly in one case?

Oh, wait, that's likely exactly what happened.

ACPlayer
08-05-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course you would argue this because you love to find fault in the Jews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you did all the arguing for me about promoting slightly bad officers.

I am still looking to find out if there are any officers in the Israeli forces that are better that slightly bad -- and why they could not have been promoted instead. Given the non-responsive posts, I have to assume that slightly bad is good enough for promotions as there are no good apples.

Cyrus
08-07-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Palestinians murdered Lebanese Christians and the Lebanese Christians took revenge are Sabra and Shatilla.

[/ QUOTE ]
The above comment shows ignorance of the historical facts, as outlined by both sides in the Lebanese civil war, practically!

Briefly, for the ultra slow in learning : Sometime during the Lebanese civil war of the 1970-80s, a group of PLO men, a faction in the Leftist/Pan-Arab/Muslim/Palestinian majority opposing the Christian/Right-wing/Fascist alliance, assassinated the son of the leader of the Lebanese organisation, the Phalange, a certain Genayel. This was part of the war -- an ugly part, for sure, but asssassinations such that one were routine in the Lebanon war.

After months of fighting, and the Israeli invasion, we had the negotiations for a cease fire and a settlement -- a settlement that involved, by the way, a Syrian military presence in Lebanon, condoned (if not welcomed) by Israel.

The Palestinians agreed to evacuate most of their fighting units out of Beirut, and also leave behind their heavy weapons. Part of the deal was that the Israelis and the Lebanese guaranteed the safety of the women, children and old men, left behind by the Palestinians.

The rest is history: As soon as, in strict compliance with the agreement, the Palestinians left, the Israelis orchestrated the massacre of the Palestinian civilians in the two refugee camps of Sabra and Chatila. The knives and the guns were Phalangist but the directions were Ariel Sharon's.

...A "funny" reminder : Israel allied itself with the neo-fascists and ardent admirers of Hitler, the Lebaneses Phalange! As I said before, the bones of the victims of the Holocaust are surely turning in the mass graves.

Gamblor
08-07-2005, 12:06 PM
I am still looking to find out if there are any officers in the Israeli forces that are better that slightly bad -- and why they could not have been promoted instead. Given the non-responsive posts, I have to assume that slightly bad is good enough for promotions as there are no good apples.

Of course. Following your logic, Michael Jordan has a bad game in the NBA finals and is immediately refused any chance at MVP, because there must be someone better.