PDA

View Full Version : differences in stakes (low content)

technologic
08-01-2005, 01:22 AM
basically the same concepts of NL apply to all stakes, the only difference being as you go up stakes, more of the players are aware of these concepts and thus play better, making fewer mistakes, etc.

after reading posts of 50/100 and 5/10, is there really a difference in how these hands play, provided that the amount of big blinds in the stacks are same, such as against an unknown?

or is there a general skill level that 50/100 players have that 5/10 players would not possess (obviously, i suppose)?

i guess what i'm trying to ask is, out of curiosity, what levels seem to show the biggest gap in skill level, and what types of players are there at the higher end (ie 25/50, 50/100) compared to the lower end, and what strategy adjustments, if any, should be made when playing the high stakes?

captZEEbo1
08-01-2005, 01:39 AM
basically the higher the stakes, the more aggressive people get. Some start open raising any 2 suited, others willing to call bets with intentions of bluffing a later street. People have a better feel for how good their hand is (for eg. 66 on a 953 flop is probably still good vs a raiser unless they actually have the big pair, whereas some people seem to think their 66 is ONLY good if it flops an overpair). Basically people get very aggressive the higher you get.

creedofhubris
08-01-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
basically the same concepts of NL apply to all stakes, the only difference being as you go up stakes, more of the players are aware of these concepts and thus play better, making fewer mistakes, etc.

after reading posts of 50/100 and 5/10, is there really a difference in how these hands play, provided that the amount of big blinds in the stacks are same, such as against an unknown?

or is there a general skill level that 50/100 players have that 5/10 players would not possess (obviously, i suppose)?

i guess what i'm trying to ask is, out of curiosity, what levels seem to show the biggest gap in skill level, and what types of players are there at the higher end (ie 25/50, 50/100) compared to the lower end, and what strategy adjustments, if any, should be made when playing the high stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rocks lose bad at the high end. They win big at the low end.

fimbulwinter
08-01-2005, 01:43 AM
my 5/10 game plays like 400NL most days.

some days it plays like playmoney.

stakes and skill are correlated, but its not perfect.

fim

technologic
08-01-2005, 01:45 AM
can you pm when and where you play so we can both benefit from it and avoid each other? haha jk...but a soft 5/10 game would be sweet to find...probably like party when they first opened it.

fimbulwinter
08-01-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The rocks lose bad at the high end. They win big at the low end.

[/ QUOTE ]

though oft quoted, i have yet to see a game that plays full ring online all the time where this is the truth.

fim

Prevaricator
08-01-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my 5/10 game plays like 400NL most days.

some days it plays like playmoney.

stakes and skill are correlated, but its not perfect.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

where?

technologic
08-01-2005, 01:57 AM
he said before he wants to keep all the gold for himself

Prevaricator
08-01-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he said before he wants to keep all the gold for himself

[/ QUOTE ]

ill rephrase then, is it partypoker?

fimbulwinter
08-01-2005, 02:01 AM
well, the gold was given to me by another twopluser, and i have been sworn to keep it in a lock box.

fim

http://www.current.org/doc/doc0221florida-1.jpg

ps- i tried to hotlink the damn thing in the first post. im impressed you caught the reference.

technologic
08-01-2005, 02:04 AM
LOCK BOX

who is this guy, al gore?

Prevaricator
08-01-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im impressed you caught the reference

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean it's not common knowledge?

technologic
08-01-2005, 02:16 AM
that picture is pretty lol.

but i guess he would know where the best internet sites are, i mean he did invent the internet, after all. or was that dan quayle or some other meh vp...

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 02:23 AM
In general, at higher stakes, there's more betting and raising and less checking and calling.

spino1i
08-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Well I play PartyPoker exclusively and play both 10-max and 6-max NL ring. The game is very different between 10-max and 6-max, so before I can really answer your question, I'd have to know which we are talking about. 6-max becomes LAGgy at the 400$ buy-in level. I'd say at 200 NL 6-max is where you can bully people around. Below that (espicially 100 NL 6-max), be careful, cuz people like to call with everything lol. I havent played anything above 400 in 6-max. (though I'm about to move up to 600)

As for 10-max, I'd say 25,50, and 100 NL are all straight camping games. Just grind it out, get your big pkt pairs and sets paid off and make your money. At 200 NL you can still play this game but it begins to become harder to make money. This is also the level where you will start to run into skilled bluffing a lot more. 400 NL is a tougher version of 200 NL, and currently on Party is filled with a lot of sharks that just sit and camp. A LOT of set miners. Its a tough game to make much money off of. You defintely cant just camp, and blind-stealing becomes more important. 600 NL seems to depend a lot on the table. Some tables play like 1000 NL some play like 400 NL, depending on how many higher-stakes sharks are sitting at the table. 1000 NL seems very tough, I cant make any money at the game yet. Players do a lot more bluffing, are very tight, but very aggressive post-flop. I dont know about 2000, havent played that high.

AZK
08-01-2005, 03:57 AM
When I began playing a year ago, low stakes, I would watch 25/50 and think, damn this game is insane, I would love to play, but I will probably never be that good. I always thought that people that played the highest stakes NL had some sort of divine insight, or uncanny ability that made them incredible.

I took a couple shots this week buying in short and I just noticed that people are a lot more aggressive, there is a lot less limping, and generally people play smarter be it snapping you off, or knowing how to outplay you. I think the number one thing is that people catch on a lot quicker and are always changing to find a better strategy against you.