PDA

View Full Version : TT facing raise

08-01-2005, 01:04 AM
What should i do with this?
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1505)
UTG (t1360)
MP (t2455)
CO (t870)
Hero (t965)
SB (t845)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>
Hero???

morgan180
08-01-2005, 01:06 AM
reraise. and i don't think a push is wrong. depends also on the table, if the average stealing raise has been a minimum raise then i definitely reraise. if the average stealing raise has been 3x bb then this looks a little funny and i call and play after the flop.

08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
CO hadent been playing a huge amount of pots, but did have a few hands where he raised and it went uncalled. In the real game i folded this when i decided i still had chips to make some steals with.

SuitedSixes
08-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Fold.

Isura
08-01-2005, 01:20 AM
I'd push. Calling is also okay.

08-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Can you give a reason for the fold? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
OR is this just such a standard play and im just really dumb /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SuitedSixes
08-01-2005, 01:23 AM
It is standard for me. TT is not great. You have a player who has indicated strength. You still have two players yet to act. You are early in the tournament with 19 BBs.

Isura
08-01-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really bad without a read. You have position and a good hand. Atleast see a flop. I see AK and AQ make these kinds of raises, and you're often in a fine spot to pick off a bluff here postflop against a donk. I think calling is better now, since only better hands are usually calling a push here, and the pot isn't that big.

SuitedSixes
08-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Calling is my 2nd choice, but I wouldn't ever push this under these circumstances.

Ogre
08-01-2005, 02:52 AM
whats the buyin?

08-01-2005, 03:07 AM
This was an $11.

08-01-2005, 03:15 AM
To be honest, I would do something fairly unorthadox since it is so early in the tournament. Why not re-raise him to 3 or 4X times his bet, it he pushes, walk away, still in the tourny with enough chips to compete, if he calls, see the flop, and if he folds, bonus for you.

Plus, it lets you get a little better read on his hand if you are not 100% sure in your read of him.

I know is this totally against any +EV play... but if you got the feelin, you got the feelin :P

ace_in_the_hole
08-01-2005, 03:16 AM
I call, on a non broadway baord i push hard, broadway on board i get out fast.

Maulik
08-01-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, I would do something fairly unorthadox since it is so early in the tournament. Why not re-raise him to 3 or 4X times his bet, it he pushes, walk away, still in the tourny with enough chips to compete, if he calls, see the flop, and if he folds, bonus for you.

Plus, it lets you get a little better read on his hand if you are not 100% sure in your read of him.

I know is this totally against any +EV play... but if you got the feelin, you got the feelin :P

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just use your position to take the pot with less risk. If you feel compelled to raise, push, not put ~ 1/2 of your stack on the line and then fold to an overpush.

=\

45suited
08-01-2005, 08:59 AM
This is an insta push for me. CO is making a weak raise, I have TT. All you can eat baby.

Why is everyone giving so much respect to a mini-raise from the CO? We have the 5th best hand in poker. I really can't see doing anything other than pushing here.

ChoicestHops
08-01-2005, 09:05 AM
I dont like the push this early.. no reason to risk your stack on a coin flip to two higher cards. No one likes a simple call, and a stop and go on a good board?

45suited
08-01-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont like the push this early.. no reason to risk your stack on a coin flip to two higher cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) We would be favored in any coinflip.

2) Just because he has two higher cards doesn't mean he's calling. You really think a hand such as KQ or KJ is calling your push here? Okay, folding is bad. Super weak. Calling is bad IMO. Pot ends up being most likely 3 way with probable overs on the flop. Just push.

crookdimwit
08-01-2005, 09:17 AM
What's the rush? Down to three, this is a great hand, but there are just too many ways this strong starting hand could deteriorate. You could get callers holding overcards. Someone could get lucky with a draw. Why risk your tournament life so early with a hand that can lose in a lot of ways?

45suited
08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the rush? Down to three, this is a great hand, but there are just too many ways this strong starting hand could deteriorate. You could get callers holding overcards. Someone could get lucky with a draw. Why risk your tournament life so early with a hand that can lose in a lot of ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) There is t175 in the pot. I'll take it now. Taking this pot right now adds ~20% to our stack. It's not insignificant.

2) You guys act like there's not a great chance to double up as well. Getting called isn't the end of the world. Wouldn't you rather get your money in pre-flop while you have the best hand and leave the hard choices to the guys who are behind?

3) We have significant FE. All we're facing is a weak mini-raise from the CO.

45suited
08-01-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one likes a simple call, and a stop and go on a good board?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can he do a stop-n-go when he acts last? Also, a stop-n-go means that you push regardless of the flop, not only on good flops.

ChoicestHops
08-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Im aware of what it means. I shouldnt have used the term, however I hope you understood what I meant. Push the flop if it's safe.

There were no reads posted, 2x bb at these limits with people who like to push all in love to trap with big pairs.

ChoicestHops
08-01-2005, 09:51 AM
I must say that folding here is completely absurd..

45suited
08-01-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There were no reads posted, 2x bb at these limits with people who like to push all in love to trap with big pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

1)Absent reads at an 11, a mini-raise means a mediocre hand.

2)Even if you're correct and villain is trapping with a big pair, then what have you accomplished by playing the hand your way. If you push on a "safe" flop, you will still lose to an overpair anyway.

1C5
08-01-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is standard for me. TT is not great. You have a player who has indicated strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a Party $11. A min raise means nothing a lot of the time. I like a call and play it from there. In the past I may fold or push but I like to think I am getting a little better post flop.

ChoicestHops
08-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, if you feel like a push when you almost have 20xbb is worth it, then I wont argue with you.

45suited
08-01-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like a call and play it from there. In the past I may fold or push but I like to think I am getting a little better post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that I don't call here is that I don't want to price in the BB and play my TT three way. There is enough in the pot now that I'd just as soon take it pre-flop.

And again, if someone wants to call me with two overs, that's okay too.

45suited
08-01-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you feel like a push when you almost have 20xbb is worth it, then I wont argue with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Accumulating chips during the middle game is very good. And this is such an easy spot to add almost 20% to my stack that I'm not going to pass it up.

A matter of styles I guess, but I would have thought pushing here is standard.

Let me ask you a question: What would you do with AK here?

tigerite
08-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't like a flat call that's for sure. Putting in 1/8th of your stack just to check/fold most flops? No, thankyou. Folding is ok, but I prefer a push.

Uppercut
08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im aware of what it means. I shouldnt have used the term, however I hope you understood what I meant. Push the flop if it's safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the preflop call and then the push on the "safe" flop, is that two more players have yet to act pre-flop, and those are the blinds. Since the CO only miniraised PF, by calling you are giving both blinds great odds to see this flop, and now you are playing your TT in a 4 way pot. You still want to push your TT now on the flop? Me neither.