PDA

View Full Version : Should I call to see the TURN?

07-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi all, I've just started playing poker and have clocked about about 800+ hands. And the book I've read so far is Lou Kreiger's 'Holdem Excellence'. Here's a hand I played, and I'm wondering if I should have called at the FLOP to see the TURN, and to notice I've a chance at a /images/graemlins/club.gif flush draw.

Pokerroom.com, 0.5-1.0 limit (10 players)

Hero (me) is in BB with A /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 bets raised, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, BT calls, SS folds, Hero calls .

FLOP (8SB)[board cards 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,K /images/graemlins/club.gif,J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
Hero checks, MP1 bets, MP3 calls, BT folds, Hero folds.

TURN (5BB)[board cards 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,K /images/graemlins/club.gif,J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,2 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
MP1 bets, MP3 calls.

RIVER (7BB)[board cards 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,K /images/graemlins/club.gif,J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,2 /images/graemlins/club.gif,8 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
MP1 bets, MP3 folds.

SHOWDOWN
Bee37 wins.

Now on hindsight, I should have called at the flop, since it's only a small bet, and I might hit an Ace on the TURN to give me a two pair, or hit a 3 to give me a set. In addition, I am holding a backdoor flush at the FLOP. Looks like the pot odds are good in my favour.

So is my reasoning correct?
Thanks! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

macdaddy991
08-01-2005, 12:03 AM
You are playing with a crooked deck. You have the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif in your hand, and the 8/images/graemlins/club.gif came on the river.

Internet poker is rigged.

cold_cash
08-01-2005, 12:06 AM
No.

Eeegah
08-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Are FLOP and TURN acronyms now?

closer2313
08-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Your overcard and backdoor flush draw is worth 3 outs total. You are getting 10:1 with only 2 people left in the hand. I would just fold it.

You should check out Winning Low Limit Hold em by Lee Jones and Small Stakes Hold em by Ed Miller.

Also, look into getting pokertracker at www.pokertracker.com. (http://www.pokertracker.com.)

If you dont have a ton of poker experience, you might want to drop down to a lower limit.

Welcome to the forums!

McGahee
08-01-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rev. Good Will
08-01-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grjr
08-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Everybody saying no here is missing the fact that he actually had A3 /images/graemlins/club.gif in his hand so the answer is yes, call the flop.

hemstock
08-01-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero (me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep /images/graemlins/smile.gif

WSOP Bound
08-01-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or hit a 3 to give me a set

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing this and the fact that the 8/images/graemlins/club.gif came on the river I am assuming that his hand was actually A/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/club.gif and getting 10:1 on the call with 7 outs (2 threes, 3 aces, 1.5 BDFD and .5 BDSD) I'd call.

Rev. Good Will
08-01-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody saying no here is missing the fact that he actually had A3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty /images/graemlins/blush.gif

08-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Hi guys,
Yup, it's a mistake I made...should have been A /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. So yes, I should have called.

Thanks for the advice!

Duerig
08-01-2005, 09:25 AM
nh

POKhER
08-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Should you? Its marginal IMO.

5outs 8:1 to call.

Your ace gives a potential straight to anyone with QT(OESD WHO WILL CALL) and theres a flush draw /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the deck. I FOLD

Turn call for sure.. but you didnt get this far.
River/Check raise /images/graemlins/smile.gif

POKhER.
p.s. TRY NOT TO GIVE NAMES OUT

08-01-2005, 09:35 AM
I think your getting correct odds to see the turn here, keep in mind, your ace may be dirty, the person betting and raising may have something like AK which would kill your two pair. I call the flop bets, since the turn gives you a lot of extra outs, call that and walla, flush... Its not a prized hand dont get to wrapped up in these kind of hands. Backdoor flush draws are super low outs to add on because I think they only hit like 5% of the time or less...
CDL