PDA

View Full Version : Republican Canidate of 2008?

FishHooks
07-31-2005, 11:54 PM
I was wondering who everyone thinks will be the 2008 republican canidate, please give reasoning for your choice. Reason why I ask is because I really think Newt Gingrich could be a strong republican canidate but I haven't heard his name come up at all, not the greatest "politician" but has great ideas.

erby
08-01-2005, 12:03 AM
He definitely shewed away from the question on The Daily Show. I think it's a possibility...but i really can't see the democrats losing this one...

Erby /images/graemlins/spade.gif

FishHooks
08-01-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He definitely shewed away from the question on The Daily Show. I think it's a possibility...but i really can't see the democrats losing this one...

Erby /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see that interview, but I'm suprised he said "I can't see the democrats losing this one" maybe he was trying to pander to Steward so he dropped the subject.

08-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Are you aware that he had a little ethics problem a few years ago? Forget the democrats. His fellow candidates for the Republican nomination surely would hit on that in the primary campaign, and I can't imagine that would play so well with voters who will have "squeaky clean" candidates (like, probably, Dr. Frist) from which to choose. He also was at the helm of the Republicans when they made their awful showing in the '98 election, and bore the brunt of that. And let's not forget that he's also Mr. Hypocritical, bashing Mr. Clinton while at the same time banging away (extra-maritally, of course) at some clerk on his staff who was like 25 years younger than him.

I can't imagine he is looked upon fondly by his party (in terms of as a possible candidate).

Matty
08-01-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"squeaky clean" candidates (like, probably, Dr. Frist)

[/ QUOTE ]the guy who fraudulently adopted untold numbers of cats and mutilated them?

FishHooks
08-01-2005, 12:26 AM
I know what you saying, but you can dig up something about everyone, it doesn't even have to be true. But lately the public is turned off by canidates bashing the other one they just want to hear ideas. I personally think Newt has the best ideas of any person in this country, his books are a great read.

JimBob2232
08-01-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you aware that he had a little ethics problem a few years ago? Forget the democrats. His fellow candidates for the Republican nomination surely would hit on that in the primary campaign, and I can't imagine that would play so well with voters who will have "squeaky clean" candidates (like, probably, Dr. Frist) from which to choose. He also was at the helm of the Republicans when they made their awful showing in the '98 election, and bore the brunt of that. And let's not forget that he's also Mr. Hypocritical, bashing Mr. Clinton while at the same time banging away (extra-maritally, of course) at some clerk on his staff who was like 25 years younger than him.

I can't imagine he is looked upon fondly by his party (in terms of as a possible candidate).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I like newt. I think he would make an Okay president. But he is a horrible candidate.

[censored]
08-01-2005, 12:28 AM
George Allen

08-01-2005, 01:31 AM
mccain and gulliani

Cumulonimbus
08-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Governor Arnold. Simply because I've heard many quotes from Bush and the other neocons praising him, saying he'd be a good president. Plus, Arnold is trying to make it legal for a foreign-born person to run for Prez, although I don't think Americans will stand for that.

For some Arnold truth, check out arnoldexposed.com

Non_Comformist
08-01-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Governor Arnold. Simply because I've heard many quotes from Bush and the other neocons praising him, saying he'd be a good president. Plus, Arnold is trying to make it legal for a foreign-born person to run for Prez, although I don't think Americans will stand for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill give you 100-1 odds that he is not the nominee.

Cumulonimbus
08-01-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your reasons for believing that so strongly?

Non_Comformist
08-01-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you a gimmick account?

Cumulonimbus
08-01-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you a gimmick account?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, do you have any friends?

Non_Comformist
08-01-2005, 01:57 AM
OK so you are a gimmick accounts designed to ask stupid questions.

Matty
08-01-2005, 02:01 AM
A national poll was done with Schwarzenegger against the all-but uknown Bill Richardson. Richardson won 36-27.

Scwarzenegger is a gimmick account. His approval ratings are worse than Gray Davis' were before the recall.

08-01-2005, 02:05 AM
arnolds ratings are down because he is doing exactly what he said he would do if elected, which is ridiculous. the sole reason he has low ratings is that he is at odds with legislators and other officials. how can you not love a story of a guy who came to america with the clothes on his back and a $20 in his pocket only to live the dream and become rich, famous, marry an actress and become govener of the largest state in the union.

Cumulonimbus
08-01-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check my past posts. I play poker... which is why I post on 2+2. Ya [censored]' donk.

Non_Comformist
08-01-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check my past posts. I play poker... which is why I post on 2+2. Ya [censored]' donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

you play poker and post about it too? well now i'm impressed.

Matty
08-01-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
arnolds ratings are down because he is doing exactly what he said he would do if elected

[/ QUOTE ]This is the opposite of truth.

I'm headed to bed so I'll just leave like the 30th wikipedia link in the past two days: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger#Governorship

fimbulwinter
08-01-2005, 03:33 AM
frist. and he'll win in a landslide.

fim

FishHooks
08-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I'll give him 1000-1 odds

FishHooks
08-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Wow this thread was hijacked.

FishHooks
08-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I would like some reasoning as i mentioned in my first post.

durron597
08-01-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you 100-1 odds also.

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
George Allen

Former Governor of VA, Great speaker, strong campaign organization, well respected in the party.

FishHooks
08-01-2005, 12:00 PM
If you going to be running against Hillary your going to need some kind of name recogintion to win the election though.

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't think Clinton's as big a lock on the nomination now that they don't control the party. Remember the Clintons did and said some terrible things about Dean - I think he has a long memory.

Besides - Carter came out of nowhere, and really so did Clinton. Allen is a former Governor, son of a Superbowl winning football coach, and sitting Senator. The name George Allen is well known nation wide.

wmspringer
08-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I could support a moderate like McCain, but recent history leads me to suspect they'll nominate a far-right candidate and rely on negative campaining again.

FishHooks
08-01-2005, 01:31 PM
clinton didn't really come out of nowhere, he was supposed to run in 1988 but he opted not too, I also beleive he was considered the top Democratic governor at the time he decided to run for president, he was a pretty well known guy. I would say that Bill Clinton is the face of the democratic party, he raises more money than anyone else and its fairly moderate. Hillary is a different issue but I bet a lot of people would vote for Hillary just because of Bill.

ptmusic
08-02-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like some reasoning as i mentioned in my first post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess you listen to Sean Hannity. I do too; he's entertaining. The reason I guess that you listen to Hannity is that Newt is a regular guest.

Another reason Newt has no chance: Hannity's ratings are great, but they aren't big enough to overcome the general negative impression Americans have about Newt.

-ptmusic