PDA

View Full Version : more on torture left/right agree - its good

brad
03-10-2003, 10:43 AM
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/patbuchanan/pb20030310.shtml

B-Man
03-10-2003, 11:36 AM
I think Dershowitz's article on this subject a few months ago was more persuasive, but I agree with both of them (imagine Buchanan and Dershowitz agreeing on something so controversial!).

Getting information from this scumbag could save thousands of lives and prevent the next 9/11-type attack. In such extreme circumstances, and particularly when dealing with someone who is already responsible for thousands of deaths, torture is justified.

MMMMMM
03-10-2003, 11:37 AM
And what do YOU think about it in the specific case of Sheikh Khalid Mohammed?

Also, why do your post titles often tend to misrepresent the articles you link to?

brad
03-10-2003, 11:39 AM
do you agree with elliot abrams (sp?) that pundit guy on msnbc that the (suspected) terrorist's children (ages 9 and 7 i think) should be tortured to get him to talk?

btw, i think criminal charges should be brought against abrams for even suggesting that.

brad
03-10-2003, 11:40 AM
how is it misrepresented?

Buchanan and Dershowitz agreeing.

left and right.

they say its good.

B-Man
03-10-2003, 11:54 AM
I didn't see or hear what Abrams said, but I would NOT be in favor of torturing this guy's kids.

brad
03-10-2003, 12:09 PM
the way i see it this whole torture thing is gonna go the way of applied digital solutions microchip, at least in the foreseeable future. (remember they had the family chipped on tv on good morning america or some show, total media blitz, and then the stock just sunk because nobody really wanted it. although they have a market in prisons and stuff, last i heard they signed a contract with i think california state prison system.)

somebody on talk radio made the point that donahue gets cancelled on same network but this guy abrams (i think his show is the abrams report) who advocates torturing innocent children stays on air. ugh. donahue had higher ratings too from what i hear.

MMMMMM
03-10-2003, 01:32 PM
"Misleading" might be a better term.

As an exercise, why don't you try to think of 3 post titles that would be more representative of what this article actually is about. Hint: It isn't about torture in a general sense being good.

And again, what do YOU think about torture (or borderline torture) in the specific case of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed?

andyfox
03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Elliot Abrams has always been in favor of torture and murder. He was one of the important figures in the Reagan administration, covering up for thugs who murdered American journalists and nuns. Appointments like this are one reason why I have little faith in the judgment of the Bush administration to conduct an effective foreign policy.

brad
03-10-2003, 03:10 PM
not sure if its same guy who has msnbc show but i agree with you.

brad
03-10-2003, 03:14 PM
you mean the 'mastermind of 9-11'? i though obl was mastermind?

well i guess its too late to fly him to safety as was done with 4000 alqueda so may as well torture him to death as is being done in guantonamo bay.

--------------------
so let me get this straight? theres no drugs and/or technology to get this guy to spill, no we have to resort to spanish inquisition technology? i just dont buy it.

p.s. its been in the news very recently about deaths at guantanamo bay. those guys are tough theyll suicide before theyll spill all the top secret very important cutting edge up to the date info they have.

also general in charge of g.b. f****** resigned because he said he didnt feel torture was right, especially of the low level goat herders theyve got at g.b.

MMMMMM
03-10-2003, 04:34 PM
"those guys are tough theyll suicide before theyll spill all the top secret very important cutting edge up to the date info they have."

This is why--seriously--we need to bury any terrorists who die in pigskins and with pig offal so that they can't get to Paradise. Then we'll see how tough they are when according to their beliefs they know won't be rewarded after death (since the uncleanliness of pig keeps them from being recognized by Allah).

This should also be a well-publicized policy so they all know what they're up against. No dwelling in Paradise after their heinous deeds and no 72 virgins. No kidding either--there should be public burials exactly as described above.

Guaranteed it would also cut down on the ranks of aspiring martyrs--a major component of their motivation is their deluded belief that such a Paradise awaits them immediately after death.

brad
03-10-2003, 05:06 PM
once again ive completely failed to make my point.

the US originally said they suicided at g.b., but then almost immediately (like after they realized coroners report coming out)

admitted they were tortured to death!

if you find that comforting then what can i say join the SS, or TIPS program, or homeland security torture reserve force.

MMMMMM
03-10-2003, 06:49 PM
I never read any report like that.

If it's true then maybe it's also true that the inmformation gained thereby may have staved off some horrific attacks on our soil. I guess we'll never know for sure. I take it you think that even if that's so, the use of borderline torture tactics are unjustified.

I guess maybe some aspiring terrorists might think twice if this story gets out. But I still think they should be buried in pigskins, to provide some REAL deterrent.

IrishHand
03-10-2003, 07:03 PM
I still think they should be buried in pigskins, to provide some REAL deterrent.

You want to throw footballs at terrorists?

brad
03-10-2003, 08:22 PM
'I never read any report like that.'

ok im gonna post a link to cnn or whatever where they say (prisoners or whatever they are, in limbo) died undergoing torture at camp xray guantonomo bay, cuba.

yeah im sure these low level guys (equivalent to privates in an army) had time critical info (they were captured what 14 months ago)

brad
03-10-2003, 08:29 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,909164,00.html

ok this isnt it but close enough. maybe im even wrong about deaths at camp xray, but im 100% sure commanding general (although not general in charge of operations or something like that) resigned because he thought the torture was wrong.