View Full Version : guys, what do you do in this situation?

Sooga
07-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Ok, so you're with a girl. A FRIEND. There is no SIIHP going on here. It's clear you're both friends. Ok, now that that's settled...

Now say you go to a restaurant like a Quizno's, where you order your stuff, but the food is being prepared as you pay for your meal. So anyway, you order your sandwich, and they start making it, and then your friend orders her sandwich, and they start working on that.

Now you get to the cashier, and the cashier assumes that you two are together, and counts up both sandwiches together. What do you do?

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Dynasty
07-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Would you be paying for both sandwiches if your friend was a guy?

Yeti
07-31-2005, 11:01 PM
- We know you want to bang her.
- Just pay, no hassle, it's likely she will give you the money once you've sat down.
- Jeez man, are you toilet trained yet?

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Hahaha..... well Quiznos was the only thing around. And yea, I do usually pay for it, but it does seem kind of awkward, I mean, it's not like I'm trying to impress her or anything, and it's not like she's some starving student... she has a job, as do I.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Hmm, good question.... I guess I probably would.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she has a job, as do I.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then this doesn't matter. The time for worrying about who bought what petty item ends when you've graduated college.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
- No.
- it's not about the money, it's just that is automatically paying for it just the socially accepted thing to do?
- No.

SmileyEH
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
I have a lot more spending money than most of my friends because of poker so I'd just try and pay for both sometimes. Whatever, it's situational. Here I'd just pay - whats a quiznos sub, like $4?

-SmileyEH

Sephus
07-31-2005, 11:05 PM
it's like 6 bucks man.

Nick B.
07-31-2005, 11:05 PM
I would probably go home and check on ebay to see if I can get some fake quizno's gift certificates for a low price.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Ok, so is it a monetary issue then? Say we went somewhere like this and for whatever reason, the total was like $20 each. Is it still the same? Or is there some dollar cutoff where I shouldn't be expected to pay? Like I said earlier, it's not like I'm poor and can't afford to do this... I'm just wondering if this is the 'typical' thing to do.

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Pay, and then ask her if she wants to go watch Entourage with you.

If she says yes, when she's not looking, SIIHP.

Yeah, how 'bout that Entourage anyway? Anyone know if it's any good?

Sponger15SB
07-31-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be such a cheap fucker and buy your friend a sandwich. Also, don't go to Quizno's next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you buy your male friend a sandwich if the cashier assumed you were together?

pearljam
07-31-2005, 11:14 PM
It depends on where your going with this girl, if you have absolutely no sexual interest in her but like her as a friend and are'nt trying to impress her, ask for seperate bills. The money is'nt the point, it's more to not give her the wrong impression.

07-31-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on where your going with this girl, if you have absolutely no sexual interest in her but like her as a friend and are'nt trying to impress her, ask for seperate bills. The money is'nt the point, it's more to not give her the wrong impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you kicked that girl to the curb, yet ? I hope so.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:16 PM
hmm, that doesn't sound right. You mean to tell me you've never bought a meal for a friend, in the fear that he/she might get a wrong impression?

pearljam
07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
I have baught meals for guy friends yea, but only because they did'nt have money and I wanted to go out for food. It's not that there is anything wrong with buying her a meal, but (and you could judge this better then I since you know the girl) you might give her the wrong impression that your trying to impress her.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:19 PM
Oh... then no, that's definitely not a concern. I've known this girl for about 9 years now, and it's been as friends the whole time.

pearljam
07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
[/ QUOTE ]
Have you kicked that girl to the curb, yet ? I hope so.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and it's not even close. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pearljam
07-31-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh... then no, that's definitely not a concern. I've known this girl for about 9 years now, and it's been as friends the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, then in that case buy her the sandwich you cheap bastard.

Popinjay
07-31-2005, 11:21 PM
I would say make the bills separate. You don't want to run into a far more awkward situations where she is constantly freeloading off you.

daryn
07-31-2005, 11:24 PM
since i am back i will continue providing the correct answer i suppose

what you do is you pay for the total, then you go sit down. she will soon realize you paid for her sandwich. at this point she will ask you how much she owes. you tell her, she pays you.

end

daryn
07-31-2005, 11:25 PM
addendum:

also acceptable is saying "don't worry about it" but only if you know she would say the same thing, and that is very important.

gorie
07-31-2005, 11:27 PM
pay.
not because she's a girl and you're a guy, but because that's where the situation has lead you and the best thing to do without making it into a big deal.
then you hope she pays you back later, or buys next time.

i've paid for lunch for co-workers before , and same back at me, we don't really keep track we just kind of assume it's not a big deal as long as the bill is paid and it's not always the same person.

but i mean this is a one time thing, and as long as its not a lot of money, just pay.

Lawrence Ng
07-31-2005, 11:31 PM
The correct 2+2 OOT answer is:

Pay for her sandwich, then stick it in her pooper afterwards.

Lawrence

ChipWrecked
07-31-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

what you do is you pay for the total, then you go sit down. she will soon realize you paid for her sandwich. at this point she will ask you how much she owes. you tell her, she lets you SIIHP.

end

[/ QUOTE ]

bd8802
07-31-2005, 11:35 PM
If this is truely a two-way freindship pay for the damn food. Your friend should reciprocate the next time you go to a place like this.

daryn
07-31-2005, 11:36 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

what you do is you pay for the total, then you go sit down. she will soon realize you paid for her sandwich. at this point she will ask you how much she owes. you tell her, she lets you SIIHP.

end

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah, that's why i left. completely unfunny repetitive "jokes"

mason55
07-31-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't understand what the problem is. If it's not about the money, she won't get the wrong impression then the answer is dependent on one thing:

If she would pay in this situation then you pay. If she wouldn't pay then I wouldn't consider a friend, only an aquaintence.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:39 PM
Hmm, this is making me think... and although when we go out to an actual restaurant (where a typical dinner is &gt; $25), then we always split it, but on little things like this, I seem to pay... then on the occasions where she's bought stuff, and I gave her money, she always accepts it and never says "don't worry about it".... hmm...

07-31-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably go home and check on ebay to see if I can get some fake quizno's gift certificates for a low price.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/1566/comlaugh9dg.jpg

bd8802
07-31-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so is it a monetary issue then? Say we went somewhere like this and for whatever reason, the total was like $20 each. Is it still the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still vote "who [censored] cares". My friends and I do this all the time. We got out eat and get a few drink, one of us pays. The other one pays the next time. And so on. It is not that big of deal. Sometimes I pay more, sometimes they do. If your friendship hindges upon a few bucks (I bought Fat Tire last time and you only bought Bud Light you worthless [censored]) ... there are bigger issues here.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:42 PM
You're right.... and now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember an instance where she's ever paid. Not sure why I didn't realize it til now.

gorie
07-31-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, this is making me think... and although when we go out to an actual restaurant (where a typical dinner is &gt; $25), then we always split it, but on little things like this, I seem to pay... then on the occasions where she's bought stuff, and I gave her money, she always accepts it and never says "don't worry about it".... hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

solution: stop offering her money on some (all?) ocassions where she buys stuff. then you don't have to count on her saying "don't worry about it" in order to keep the money.
it seems fair.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Yes, but you figure if she really were a 'friend' she would do that.. but if she doesn't, then hmm....

I do indeed have some bigger issues to think about.

bd8802
07-31-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're right.... and now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember an instance where she's ever paid. Not sure why I didn't realize it til now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are getting screwed long term ... then you should just stop paying for the little things. Don't go out of your way to do so cause if this is really a healthy 9 year friendship it is not worth making a scene out of a few bucks here or there.

Something to think about though.

gorie
07-31-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but you figure if she really were a 'friend' she would do that.. but if she doesn't, then hmm....

I do indeed have some bigger issues to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. she probably assumes that when you offer her money, you're offering her money. not that you're fake-offering in hopes of a "no no, you keep it."
don't offer something you don't really want to pay...

she probably doesn't think you mind it. if she knew it was a problem, i'm sure she'd pay more.

RunDownHouse
07-31-2005, 11:50 PM
I was wondering where you'd gone.

Like most others have said, just pay. Since this seems to be a more frequent thing, however, really examine your relationship and decide if this is the kind of person with whom you want to be friends. My group of frriends is very easy going and reciprocating with buying rounds and stuff like that, but I know plenty of people who aren't.

EDIT: I agree about the Commodus account, by the way. Got a chuckle.

astroglide
07-31-2005, 11:52 PM
wow, this guy really picks his spots. so far two thumbs up for commodus.

Sooga
07-31-2005, 11:53 PM
It's not really a fake-offering, but the fact that she doesn't say 'no don't worry about' is certainly not a very good sign. You would think that it would occur to her to pick up things once in a while without my 'forcing' her to do so by not offering to pay her back.

RacersEdge
07-31-2005, 11:59 PM
I think it would be a more interesting issue if you just paid the bill like you should, but when you sat down, she never even mentioned it. It would even make a good Seinfeld episode.

swede123
08-01-2005, 12:17 AM
This brings up an interesting point actually. In college everyone is cheap about things like this. Money's hard to come by so people NEVER turn down a free meal. Sometimes you sit there arguing that Billy needs to throw in an extra quarter since his burger was 6.75 while my burger was 6.55. At least this was the case for my college buddies and myself.

Now fast-forward ten years to the working world it's the exact opposite. You go to happy hour with some work buddies, and when the time comes to take care of the check you get eight people throwing in 10-20 bucks each to handle a 30 dollar tab. Then everyone argues why they should pay for more than their share. In the end we end up with the one cheap-ass guy pocketing his share PLUS and extra ten bucks, the waitress gets a nice 150% tip, and I usually end up grabbing some left over cash to pay back the guys who left a twenty for their $2.50 beer. Seriously, it's either one extreme or the other.

Swede

daryn
08-01-2005, 12:19 AM
why not just hang out with smarter people who know how to put in the right amount of money, or just a hair over.

life is easy

08-01-2005, 12:20 AM
wow, this guy really picks his spots. so far two thumbs up for commodus.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/787/thanks4oc.jpg

swede123
08-01-2005, 12:26 AM
When you work in an office with about twenty people, ten of which don't ever go out to a bar, you don't have much say when it comes to happy hour type events. And I'm not implying they are terrible people to hang out with, it's just that for some reason everyone feels a need to pay more than their share EVERY time. Clearly this is not the case when dining or drinking with friends. I pay this time, guy two pays next time, and so on. It all comes out right over time.

Swede

Alobar
08-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Post deleted by Alobar

[censored]
08-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Alobar,

Thank you for the advice. I am trying to use my dick more.

Alobar
08-01-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

[/ QUOTE ]

np

btw, im drunk and crabby

08-01-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I may sound like a retard but what is 'SIIHP'?

[censored]
08-01-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

[/ QUOTE ]

np

btw, im drunk and crabby

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude your post was good. No need to delete it. the truth should hurt sometimes.

TStoneMBD
08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
this brings to mind something i find more interesting in that whenever im with a girl buying something somewhere, i hand the cashier the bill and they give the change to the girl. wtf is that all about???

montechristo
08-01-2005, 03:24 AM
just pay for it. if she is a female friend you obviously desire nasty animal sex with her, if not with her than her not so fat friend. paying will impress in either situation.

jerome baker
08-01-2005, 03:38 AM
if your asian or not.

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 03:51 AM
You pay the bill and your friend gives you $10 or whatever. You really need to come to OOT for this?

Sooga
08-01-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You pay the bill and your friend gives you $10 or whatever. You really need to come to OOT for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry this question is so beneath you. I guess some life situations are just not as trivial for some of us as they are for you. Next time, you can just, you know, not bother writing out an antagonizing reply.

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

what you do is you pay for the total, then you go sit down. she will soon realize you paid for her sandwich. at this point she will ask you how much she owes. you tell her, she pays you.

end

addendum:

also acceptable is saying "don't worry about it" but only if you know she would say the same thing, and that is very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

No surprise that daryn already got it right.

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so is it a monetary issue then? Say we went somewhere like this and for whatever reason, the total was like $20 each. Is it still the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still vote "who [censored] cares". My friends and I do this all the time. We got out eat and get a few drink, one of us pays. The other one pays the next time. And so on. It is not that big of deal. Sometimes I pay more, sometimes they do. If your friendship hindges upon a few bucks (I bought Fat Tire last time and you only bought Bud Light you worthless [censored]) ... there are bigger issues here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This of course is perfectly acceptable as well. I have certain friends with whom when we go to lunch (or whatever) there's no exchanging of money and someone just pays. No big deal, we figure it'll even out in the end since none of us are cheap or dicks. With other friends, we just split tabs when they come. Whatever, no big deal either way, they're both fine. But I'm only paying more than my fair share every time if my friend is poor or it's a chick I want to have sex with.

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry this question is so beneath you. I guess some life situations are just not as trivial for some of us as they are for you. Next time, you can just, you know, not bother writing out an antagonizing reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I was asking a serious question. You honestly find it a challenge to figure out how to go to Quizno's with a friend and pay for your collective sandwiches without this becoming a "life situation"?

You are seriously trying to tell me that this is not a trivial situation?

Sooga
08-01-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I was asking a serious question. You honestly find it a challenge to figure out how to go to Quizno's with a friend and pay for your collective sandwiches without this becoming a "life situation"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well let's see, given that 1/4 of the people who answered the poll thought one way, and 2/3 thought another, I would say there are different ways to deal with this. I was just asking what other people do.

Actually you know what, f*ck this, I don't need to defend to you why I posted a thread. I'm not sure what brought you to dislike me so much and feel the need to get an argument out of me. Perhaps it was just that whole token thing, who knows. What I do know is that I'm not going to bother with your obvious attempts to start up new arguments. I'm done.

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well let's see, given that 1/4 of the people who answered the poll thought one way, and 2/3 thought another, I would say there are different ways to deal with this. I was just asking what other people do.

Actually you know what, f*ck this, I don't need to defend to you why I posted a thread. I'm not sure what brought you to dislike me so much and feel the need to get an argument out of me. Perhaps it was just that whole token thing, who knows. What I do know is that I'm not going to bother with your obvious attempts to start up new arguments. I'm done.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) I don't know why my giving a simple answer to your simple question made you think I dislike you.

b) I suspect that very, very, very few people here find this a non-trivial "situation" to handle.

I'm really not trying to start an argument here, Sooga. I'm honestly stunned and surprised that you sincerely appear so confused by this most basic of social/commercial interactions. If this is giving you this much trouble, I can barely imagine how tough it must be when going to happy hours, birthday dinners, and countless other situations that involve multiple parties and financial transactions.

Sooga
08-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Yes, I am a social leper. Good bye.

EliteNinja
08-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Stick it in her sandwich!

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I am a social leper. Good bye.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you will revisit this thread at some point in the future and have a good chuckle about actually asking for input on the "life situation" of paying for sandwiches at Quizno's.

Mike Cuneo
08-01-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I may sound like a retard but what is 'The Search Function '?

[/ QUOTE ]

DasLeben
08-01-2005, 07:02 AM
If she's just a friend, just work it out like you'd do it with your guy friends. For me, I'd pay for it up front and then ask her if she has any cash to give me for her meal. If not, she can pay me back. Easy.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so you're with a girl. A FRIEND. There is no SIIHP going on here. It's clear you're both friends. Ok, now that that's settled...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell yourself whatever you want but unless she's incredibly ugly, you want pooper.

BeerMoney
08-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Dude, you might be able to print up fake Quizno's gift certificates at your house or something..

bholdr
08-01-2005, 08:22 AM
is it less than a BB at your game? sry for poker content in OOT, but i tend to think of a lot of things in terms of how many BBs, and thus, how many hours of work (i play poker for my goin'-out money), that those kind of things will cost me. if it's less than a one or two ($4 to $10 per BB for me for now. woot) i just pay that mother.

[bad grammar]Besides, buying your female freinds, hot/platonic/whatever, is (ugh poker termonology) +EV and as such, I tend to treat most of my female freinds to meaks when they eat with me, unless they obviously make a lot more money than me or it's meaningless (like, say... quiznos, i suppose... heh) and/or (with some chicks) a little insulting, maybe, but rarely, even 'innapropriate'; as my married female freind said once (IT'S A FREE MEAL, jeez. relax. i'm NOT trying to FK you, already) if you try to pay.[/run on sentance] &lt;---jesus; THAT was a helluva sentance.

even the notties have hottie freinds, and you KNOW they're always making notes... so, yeah, just PAY that mother; unless you're married or gay or just a cheapskate in general, or whatever. then go ahead and be cheap.

Bluffoon
08-01-2005, 09:31 AM
I always reach for the check if I am out with friends. If they never ever beat me to it I am likely to stop going out with them.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always reach for the check if I am out with friends. If they never ever beat me to it I am likely to stop going out with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good answer.

daryn is right
08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

end

addendum:

[/ QUOTE ]

No surprise that daryn already got it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not surprised either! Remember people - listen to daryn!

Indiana
08-01-2005, 11:48 AM
This is making me want to start another "Smoking Weed" thread.

Indy

WackityWhiz
08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
I would be more inclined to pay for a girl than for a guy. If it was a guy, I probably would want him to pay me back I think. Maybe not in cash, but in drinks, etc. If it was a girl, I wouldn't expect to be repaid. I would just feel good about myself.

Ulysses
08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Alright, someone just explained this to me. I completely missed the point here, I guess. The issue is not "I don't understand how to pay for food at fast food joints", it's "I don't understand how to act around girls."

I believe this was already said earlier in the thread: Just treat the situation exactly the same way as you would if you were with one of your guy friends of similar level friendship.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this was already said earlier in the thread: Just treat the situation exactly the same way as you would if you were with one of your guy friends of similar level friendship.

[/ QUOTE ]

So punch her in the arm and tell her to cough up the $6.

drexah
08-01-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you be paying for both sandwiches if your friend was a guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

for me it would depend on if i had a good day at the tables or not, but this is a very good point.

Richie Rich
08-01-2005, 02:06 PM
A simple man once said, "I'll pick up this one if you want to pick up the next".

meep_42
08-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I really hope you don't talk like that in your outside 2+2 life.

-d

rollingdirty
08-01-2005, 02:24 PM

dabluebery
08-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I basically agree.

Did you ever hear someone say how [dumb / naive / stupid / foolish / immature] they were back in the day? Old people say this constantly.

I've always been paranoid about looking back at my life someday and realizing how stupid I was. I guess not everyone shares this fear.

I get this sinking feeling that this thread, and many others like it, will become the fodder for such regrets down the line if people take a look at the archives in 5 or 10 years when they have some more maturity.

Surprisingly, (or not) I don't have a fear that someday I'll realize I was a big jerk, which is exactly what the original poster will probably call me, and maybe he's right, but I'm definitely not predisposed against you, or anyone else on these forums.

It just so happens that I think this is a pretty trivial and immature topic to seriously analyze, and I suspect you might agree with me someday.

Rob

spaminator101
08-01-2005, 02:35 PM
no

buck_thunder
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just pull out my money and start to pay. If she says hold on and hands me money cool, if not i just pay and know she is just a ho sucking off of mankind like the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

you big p#ssy! I never pay - period. I provide the the cock they should pay for the meal. If you have to pay all the time you should consider some penis enlargement options. Once they get the thunder - I aint payin!!

Sooga
08-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm immature because I take a poll of the people of OOT, asking what they do in a common social situation? Ok guy, whatever.

lapoker17
08-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Are you actually claiming that you can truly be friends with a girl? No other motives on either side?

This is obviously a troll. I call BS.

47outs
08-01-2005, 06:33 PM
My close girlfriends will ante up their fair share, I mean they offer to take the bill occasionally. Girls now-a-days seem to be throwing money around no prob.

I like it.

outs

OtisTheMarsupial
08-01-2005, 06:53 PM
learly the answer is

pay for it
and say to girl
"You get mine next time, K?"

DeezNuts
08-10-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pay for it
and say to girl
"You get mine next time, K?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Never saw this thread until today but this is far and away the best answer. Just say "I got it, next time you get it.", and if you truly consider her just a friend, let her get it next time.

It seems that a lot of OOT either don't have girls they consider just "friends". Or they are the type that categorize the women they hang out with into two categories: "girls I've banged" and "girls I haven't banged but I'm still trying to".

DN

diebitter
11-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Hmmm, doesn't sound right. Female friends I've had - if I buy them a drink, they just get the next one, nothing needs to be said. Just like male friends.

If it's different from this, surely one or both of you think there's more here (potentially) than friend stuff... (or the woman is just exploiting her female status to get drinks).