PDA

View Full Version : Tomato sauce recipe?

cold_cash
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Do any of you guys have a good one that can be made with fresh tomatoes?

If it helps, I'm taking on this project out of spite.

Cubswin
07-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Forget the sauce... make some salsa...

Chop 4 large tomatos along with 1/2 of a red onions. Roast some garlic and hot peppers (jalapeno and serrano peppers work well) and add these to the mix. Add cilantro, cumin, and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.

cubs

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Salted fresh tomatoes

cold_cash
07-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Stay on target boys.

edfurlong
08-01-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you guys have a good one that can be made with fresh tomatoes?

If it helps, I'm taking on this project out of spite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in the US? If so not...

Dynasty
08-01-2005, 01:56 AM
This is the only recipe I know.

http://www.freshdirect.com/media/images/product/grocery/gro_ragu_old_worl_01_c.jpg

Since, I only need it every now and then to put on this...

http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/linguine.jpg

...it's good enough for me.

BOTW
08-01-2005, 03:56 AM
It might help to know what you are using it for.

Does "spite" mean I'll spend hours for the best sauce ever, or does it mean I want it to be easy? Easy means throw a fresh tomato in a blender and mix it with Ragu. I might use cherries with Italian seasoning, olive oil, dried onion and unflavored tomato sauce to try for a unique flavor. Still counts and might impress.

I prefer Romas or plum, skinned and seeded for sauces.

Olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, onion, basil, oregano, red wine, brown sugar, and finely diced (or blended) tomatoes, in a sauce pan. Garlic and oil first, onions second, wine until reduced, then the rest. Maybe a bit of cumin and chili powder if its Mexican (e.g. rice) or a dash of red pepper if you like it spicy. Anchovies if you are crazy (omit salt). Add some diced zucchini or artichoke hearts for a great sauce. The longer it simmers the better IMO for Italian. The shorter the cook time, the more sugar I'd add to cut down on the tartness, though adding zucchini or artichoke hearts helps cut down bitterness. (If you use "regular" beefsteaks, expect to have to let it reduce for hours.) It won't hurt to add some tomato paste to help thicken it.

nothumb
08-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Tomato sauce as in for a pizza or pasta?

Easy.

1 lb diced tomatoes
1 lb crushed or pureed tomatoes OR 1/2 lb tomato paste
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
about 10 good sized basil leaves
one or two stalks of fresh oregano

That's it. The blend of diced and crushed is optional, if you want to just used diced it's more expensive but better.

NT

mantasm
08-01-2005, 04:07 AM
Here's my favorite tomato sauce, I usually use it on pizza but it would be good on pasta too. It's from wolfgang puck. Make sure you cook it enough so that it gets pretty thick.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 pounds Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 cup Chicken Stock
3 ounces butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup basil, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Strain into a clean saucepan. Whisk in butter, piece by piece. Add basil. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

08-01-2005, 04:24 AM
The key to great tomato sauce is three things:

1. Sugar - greatly enhances flavor. To taste.
2. Vegetable stock - gives the sauce body. Cubes are great for this.
3. Fresh herbs, in moderation. Basil, celery and thyme are the main ones. Notable mentions to marjoram and oregano.

You can whip this up very quickly, I use a high heat wok and it's ready by the time the pasta is cooked.

If you really want to impress, use cherry tomatoes instead of regular ones. Cooks faster and flavor+. And finally, try Romano instead of Parmesan, or for something different experiment with a Swiss cheese like St. Clair.

Bon Appetit!

samjjones
08-01-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

3. Fresh herbs, in moderation. Basil, celery and thyme are the main ones. Notable mentions to marjoram and oregano.

You can whip this up very quickly, I use a high heat wok and it's ready by the time the pasta is cooked.

If you really want to impress, use cherry tomatoes instead of regular ones. Cooks faster and flavor+. And finally, try Romano instead of Parmesan, or for something different experiment with a Swiss cheese like St. Clair.

Bon Appetit!

[/ QUOTE ]
Sugar in tomato sauce? You, sir, are obviously not Eye-talian.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Forget the sauce... make some salsa...

Chop 4 large tomatos along with 1/2 of a red onions. Roast some garlic and hot peppers (jalapeno and serrano peppers work well) and add these to the mix. Add cilantro, cumin, and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.

MrTrik
08-01-2005, 09:53 AM
I grab some of Paul Newman's spicy jar stuff and then embellish with extra cheeses, garlic, onions, mushrooms, and crushed red pepper, and usually some lemon juice. If I want meat, I add some light Jimmy Dean sausage or some Italian sausage (precook it obviously). The most important thing though is to make it the day before you want it and let it meld in the frig over night. Or make a bunch and freeze it. The flavors really blend better with time.

lucas9000
08-01-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bon Appetit!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and neither are you (or if you are, you're clueless on this subject) because sugar is essential in a tomato sauce.

RubberDucky
08-01-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and neither are you (or if you are, you're clueless on this subject) because sugar is essential in a tomato sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

mslif
08-01-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bon Appetit!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Italians add sugar to tomato sauce, my mom was born and raised in Italy and she makes the best tomato sauce.

STLantny
08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
100% sicilian, and my Dad uses sugar, of course he also puts pigs feet or rabbit in his.

mslif
08-01-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
100% sicilian, and my Dad uses sugar, of course he also puts pigs feet or rabbit in his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lei è corretto il mio amico. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

asofel
08-01-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lei è corretto il mio amico. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

le ragazze che parlano italiano sono calde

mslif
08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
lei parla l'italiano? Amo degli uomini che possono parlare italiano, molto erotico

STLantny
08-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry guys, I dont take Sicilian till Jan, when I start classes. Is that Italian or Sicilian? All the old timers I know say that just because you know Italian doesnt mean you know Sicilian as the dialects are so different.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry guys, I dont take Sicilian till Jan, when I start classes. Is that Italian or Sicilian? All the old timers I know say that just because you know Italian doesnt mean you know Sicilian as the dialects are so different.

[/ QUOTE ]

A wop's a wop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mslif
08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I speak Italian. They are some differences in the dialects but you will be able to understand italians, sicilians...

08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A wop's a wop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Jake I'm Italian and I don't mind the use of this racial slur at all. What is unfortunate on this forum is if you had used the"N" word, the mods on this forum would probably have banned the post. They are inconsistent on these issues or maybe they're black I don't know.