PDA

View Full Version : 3 betting preflop?

Marlow
07-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Preflop, aside from AA, KK, and QQ, what, where (position) and when do you use the 3 bet? I would like to incorporate it into my bag of tricks, but don't know where to start.

As a point of reference, I'm at the 2-4 level.

Marlow

FoxwoodsFiend
07-31-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop, aside from AA, KK, and QQ, what, where (position) and when do you use the 3 bet? I would like to incorporate it into my bag of tricks, but don't know where to start.

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

With deepstacks against players who'll raise preflop with junk I "3-bet" any raising hand. Without deepstacks I'll do 99-AA, AK, AQ and (sometimes) AJ and AT. But this is only useful for facing maniacs.

I also like to 3-bet min-raises w/suited connectors from time to time. As for big reraises in the face of 3-5x BB raises, I'll do it with just about anything and position from time to time just looking to take down the pot.

edge
07-31-2005, 09:03 PM
If by 3-bet you mean a reraise of an opening raise (eg. UTG makes it 15, you make it 50), then I recently started doing it with a wide range of hands when I'm in position. It works a lot better against players that can lay down hands, and is perfect against people who play like this forum (TAG, a little weak-tight). I pretty much didn't reraise at all when I played 2/4 and 3/6 though, and just started at 5/10, with good success so far.

I know there are some fairly good but predictable 20/8-type regulars at 2/4 6-max, so if you reraise with hands like pairs and suited connectors (or even total trash, you probably won't see a showdown most of the time) once in a while when you have position, you'll take down a lot of pots you weren't getting before. Just make sure not to try this against bad LAGs or calling stations.

Alex/Mugaaz
07-31-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

With deepstacks against players who'll raise preflop with junk I "3-bet" any raising hand. Without deepstacks I'll do 99-AA, AK, AQ and (sometimes) AJ and AT. But this is only useful for facing maniacs.

I also like to 3-bet min-raises w/suited connectors from time to time. As for big reraises in the face of 3-5x BB raises, I'll do it with just about anything and position from time to time just looking to take down the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how deep is deep, and you're building the pot to what % size of the stack? Wouldn't it be better to 3bet with small pocket pairs if it's really deep? 3betting preflop is not a meaningful part of my game yet and I don't see it discussed in detail often.

Rotating Rabbit
07-31-2005, 09:55 PM
I've been experimenting with reraising out of the blinds in 6max with lower pocketpairs as well, to gain fold equity.

Marlow
07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah, 3-bet isn't quite what I meant, but you got it...

Would you say that at the 2-4, 3-6 levels, this sort of thing is less likely to work, or do you mean that you didn't ever try it until you got to 5-10?

Most of my opponents seem to be in the 33 - 50 VPIP level (though I only play 6-max). It sounds like you are advising against a PF reraise against these opponents. Is that true?

Congrats on your thusfar successful move up, btw.

Marlow