PDA

View Full Version : Need help building poker laptop

MarkL444
07-31-2005, 04:48 PM
So im going to be getting a dell laptop soon and needed help building it. Primarily, Im curious how fast of a processor I need. Right now I have a desktop with a Pentium 4 /ht tech 3.0 ghz. These laptops all come with Pentium M. If I had a Penitum M 1.6 ghz would I notice a significant decrease in speed?

I use my computer for a few things:
-Poker. (pokertracker, HU displays, multiple skins, etc)
-World of Warcraft
-Playing movies, tv shows and stuff
-General internet email stuff

In general would a Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB) w/ a gig of ram and ample HD space be enough for that. Anybody using one of these having any troubles?

Also with RAM. I have the following options...do I want to knock it down to 256 and buy some RAM myself?
256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 1 Dimm [subtract $75]
512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm [Current Setting]
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm [add $175]
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm [add $675]

Thanks

splashpot
07-31-2005, 09:47 PM
I just bought a Dell 6000 and I love it. I have the Pentium M 1.6Ghz and I think it's plenty fast. Keep in mind though that my previous laptop sucked, so it's possible that I'm just happy that the new one is many times better. I have 1.25GB of RAM. I got the base 256 from Dell and ordered another gig from Newegg. Everything runs great for me. I don't play World of Warcraft.

07-31-2005, 11:54 PM
First off the 1.6 Pentium M is basically equivalent to a 2.6 desktop chip. So that’s going to be fast enough for all of your uses. Secondly, most of the time Dell's ram is way over priced. Those prices don't seem bad but you may want to get some prices at other sites to compare. 1gig of RAM should be plenty but the more the better. Lastly, if you want to play WoW or any other video game you're going to need a good 3d card. Some Dell laptop models don't have the option to upgrade the video card and others do. I recommend getting the best Nvidia or ATI card they have available since it will be difficult if not impossible to upgrade it later on.

MarkL444
08-01-2005, 06:49 AM
thanks
[ QUOTE ]
I got the base 256 from Dell and ordered another gig from Newegg.

[/ QUOTE ]

hows much did you pay?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play World of Warcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

nerd /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MarkL444
08-01-2005, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First off the 1.6 Pentium M is basically equivalent to a 2.6 desktop chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks this is mainly what i wanted to find out. and yeah, i was planning on getting a good vid card.

welcome to the forums.

mark

Tater10
08-01-2005, 03:35 PM
I just bought a refurbished dell inspiron 6000. I searched the refurbished dell's for the lowest price laptop with WUXGA resolution (1900x1200). Found one for $600 ($680 total with s&h & taxes). Its only a celeron 1600, but it 4 tables pokeroom tables beautifully w/ no overlap (party 4 tabling is fine of course.) DVD CDRW drive works great for movies. 512 memory.

I couldnt be happier with it, yet i have no idea how it would run warcraft, that might be a little intense for a celeron.

Klompy
08-01-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm currently looking at buying a laptop too. I've searched all over, but I can't seem to find any refurbished dells as cheap as you did, where did you find yours?