PDA

View Full Version : why an ipod?

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 03:29 PM
inspired by a retarded friend of mine, i was wondering: why would a pc user buy an ipod, unless it's in an attempt to be trendy/fashionable? i just don't see it.

RacersEdge
07-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Because I don't have a contract with Dell that pays me to only use their products.

cassette
07-31-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
inspired by a retarded friend of mine, i was wondering: why would a pc user buy an ipod, unless it's in an attempt to be trendy/fashionable? i just don't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You like music???

Tron
07-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Because the interface is greater than anything else on the market and ease-of-use is important to some people?

Wait, in that case, why are they using PCs? OMG, BA-ZING!!!

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because I don't have a contract with Dell that pays me to only use their products.

[/ QUOTE ]

dell makes ipods??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You like music???

[/ QUOTE ]

you know there are other portable digital music players than the ipod, right?

Vince Young
07-31-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dell makes another portable digital music player.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know, but my post was about the ipod.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know, but my post was about the ipod.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok i just realized that i am only semi-literate. i missed the "don't" in the original reply. now it makes sense...he has a contract with apple to use their products, and we have further evidence that i am retarded. still i'm not sure why he singled out dell...

lighterjobs
07-31-2005, 03:46 PM
i got an ipod because i wanted something to play mp3's.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but did you consider alternatives?

cassette
07-31-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You like music???

[/ QUOTE ]

you know there are other portable digital music players than the ipod, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate brand name trendyness as much as the next guy but the fact is that ipods are simply the best mp3 player on the market right now.

Tron
07-31-2005, 03:53 PM
I already answered the question.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes and yours was exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. i wonder if that's most peoples' reason though. i'm getting the impression that some people just don't know about alternatives, also.

Tron
07-31-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes and yours was exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. i wonder if that's most peoples' reason though. i'm getting the impression that some people just don't know about alternatives, also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I also just realized that the iTunes Music Store probably has a lot to do with it as well. I don't know if it is the best music service any more, but it certainly has the most powerful marketing.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I also just realized that the iTunes Music Store probably has a lot to do with it as well. I don't know if it is the best music service any more, but it certainly has the most powerful marketing.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn another good point...i hadn't thought of that.

cassette
07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name a player that surpasses an ipod in the majority of these catagories?

-ease of use
-efficiency of interface
-reliability of support
-60GB storage
-photo and other file support
-Mac/PC compatible (relevant if you or any your friends have Macs...)
-3rd party hardware/software support
-ect...

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name a player that surpasses an ipod in the majority of these catagories?

-ease of use
-efficiency of interface
-reliability of support
-60GB storage
-photo and other file support
-Mac/PC compatible (relevant if you or any your friends have Macs...)
-3rd party hardware/software support
-ect...

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not looking to get into a big pissing match. i'll take your response as meaning that you did consider alternatives and felt the ipod was the better buy.

cassette
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean it to come off as being aggressive. These are just the reasons that I chose my Ipod.

Have fun with whatever you choose. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Uston
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
I have friends with iPods. Friends with music collections I wanted to acquire in less than 20 minutes.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I didn't mean it to come off as being aggressive. These are just the reasons that I chose my Ipod.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have already chosen.

SomethingClever
07-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Because I got 20% off. $320 for 40 gigs = g00t.

And it works fine with a PC.

TStoneMBD
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM
i have a little crappy 512mb player and i have thought about upgrading to a new one, but i dont think i want to get the ipod. from my understanding, it is very hard to import your own mp3s that are not from cds or the ipod store which makes it really annoying. ive heard that sony has an mp3 player that is just as user friendly without the necessity of having apple software.

IndieMatty
I bought the superior sounding IRiver, where I can just drag and drop from Windows Explorer.

cassette
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have already chosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you go with?

MrTrik
07-31-2005, 04:17 PM
I've had 7 mp3 players. Since way back in the days of 16MB capacity. Some have been better than others. So far the two iPod's I have are the best of the best, but I sometimes use my Creative Zen as a backup for when I'm on the road and want 20GB of music with me.

I use my shuffle on a daily basis for music and a weekly basis as a jump drive. The features and sound quality of the iPod line is not surpassed by anything else on the market yet. That's my humble opinion. Even the price is decent. I paid $149 for my 1GB shuffle.

cassette
07-31-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have a little crappy 512mb player and i have thought about upgrading to a new one, but i dont think i want to get the ipod. from my understanding, it is very hard to import your own mp3s that are not from cds or the ipod store which makes it really annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
All mp3s on your computer will be automatically added to your Itunes library after installing the free software. Anything new that you download or rip will be automatically added as well. You don’t even need to drag and drop. Although this is also an option if you wanted to for some reason.

Also, if you are satisfied with 512mb or even a few gigs than go with something cheaper. If you are really into music and need 30-60GB then I think the Ipod is the way to go.

Mason Hellmuth
07-31-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from my understanding, it is very hard to import your own mp3s that are not from cds or the ipod store which makes it really annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fortunately, this is a myth. I have over 2000 songs in my collection, none of which I bought from ITMS or ripped in iTunes. Importing songs is as easy as double-clicking them in Windows Explorer.

[ QUOTE ]
ive heard that sony has an mp3 player that is just as user friendly without the necessity of having apple software.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to talk too much [censored] here, because I've never used Sony's players and I hate it when people do that to Apple. But I think you'll find that Sony players are much more of a pain in the ass than the iPod.

None of this is to say the iPod is perfect. If you buy one, it will almost certainly go bad within two years. Not having a return/replacement plan is strongly -EV. But as long as it works for you, the iPod is the best player on the market.

bort411
07-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I got an IPod this year, despite my general distain for Apple. I owned an iRiver for a month but got rid of it, as I had difficulty scrolling through songs. Actually, the reason I initially went with iRiver was the repeated concept that there were better products out there, and that an iPod was a waste of money.

In my experience, the iPod simply has the best interface, and it is far easier to find one song out of 5000 on it than anything else I've used. Also, the iTunes music LIBRARY is underrated.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have already chosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you go with?

[/ QUOTE ]

rio karma. if i were buying one now though i'd probably go with one of those iaudio joints.

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 04:33 PM
I tend to stay away from single purpose devices like the iPod.

Since I am into photography, I use Portable enclosures that both play music and store photos (http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrivesuper/photos.htm) .

This unit has a one-button dump from memory card to hard drive and will also store all the music I need.

They sell them without harddrives installed also so that you can pop one in yourself.

TStoneMBD
07-31-2005, 04:33 PM
thanks guys, very informative. all i really need for an mp3 player is 2gb max, and the 512 i already have is enough. however, i want to upgrade because my current player doesnt have any playlists or organization and the worst part about it is that when i import songs through drag and drop it often dispurses some of the songs all over the mp3 player putting a random song in between my collection of the beatles and whatnot. there is no way to organize the songs on the mp3 player.

any recommendations?

cassette
07-31-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have already chosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you go with?

[/ QUOTE ]

rio karma. if i were buying one now though i'd probably go with one of those iaudio joints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks pretty slick but only 20GB... /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Wouldn't cut it for a moderately sized music collection.

cassette
07-31-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Since I am into photography, I use Portable enclosures that both play music and store photos (http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrivesuper/photos.htm) .

This unit has a one-button dump from memory card to hard drive and will also store all the music I need.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize the Ipod does this too, right?

PITTM
07-31-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because iriver hp-140s are too expensive, so i got something cheap until i can get a portable player with a digital out?

rj

MrTrik
07-31-2005, 04:43 PM
There are some decent and free playlist managers out there that will work with most devices and also offer export capability that many s/w packages you get with the players can import. It's been a while since I tried some of this (due to my complete satisfaction with iTunes), but MusicMatch will get the job done for you. It's not my favorite program, but it's free (or it was, like I said it's been a while) and once you get the hang of it, it'll do the trick.

I've only downloaded music a little. My music collection has mostly come from CDs I've bought and ripped. So YMMV. I currently use Musicmatch with my two Creative devices and iTunes for my two iPods. Both programs run off the same disk area and I have successfully exchanged playlists.

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have already chosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you go with?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks pretty slick but only 20GB... /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Wouldn't cut it for a moderately sized music collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but i'm so lazy i have yet to fill the 20, even though i have more than enough cds for it. besides i can always swap the hard drive out.

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize the Ipod does this too, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you are wrong on this, right?

Where are the memory-card inputs on the iPod again??

http://www.xs-drive.com/pics/vp6210slots.jpg

cassette
07-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Camera connector (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9861G/A)

I guess your camera might not be supported but it works well for me...

mslif
07-31-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
inspired by a retarded friend of mine

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?

lucas9000
07-31-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
inspired by a retarded friend of mine

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?

[/ QUOTE ]

no one you know.

Tron
07-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Wow that thing looks enormous.

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Camera connector (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9861G/A)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, more cables, more cash, less storage and you can't use your camera while it is downloading at the lightspeed of USB 1.1

1GB worth of photos takes what...an hour or so to download to it...

I'll pass.

With the X-Drive, I can shoot all day non-stop, limited only by my (multiple) camera batteries.

cassette
07-31-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, more cables, more cash, less storage and you can't use your camera while it is downloading at the lightspeed of USB 1.1

I'll pass.

With the X-Drive, I can shoot all day non-stop, limited only by my (multiple) camera batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

The $30 for this device will be offset by you not needing memory cards anymore.

Not sure where you are getting the "less storage idea.."

And it's true that this is more for the casual picture taker. If you are serious about photography then you will either not be shooting digital or will have spent >15K on your camera and there are better options out there.

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

The $30 for this device will be offset by you not needing memory cards anymore.

Not sure where you are getting the "less storage idea.."

And it's true that this is more for the casual picture taker. If you are serious about photography then you will either not be shooting digital or will have spent >15K on your camera and there are better options out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've bumped your head.

For one, the X-Drives are limited only by the drive you install (they come pre-installed with HD's, or empty).

Second...All serious photographers shoot digital these days or they loose. Plain and simple. Every one of those guys you see on TV with those nice big white lens are shooting digital. Guarenteed. All major sporting events have tents setup for photog assistant's to process images from the shooters. How do you think you watch Tiger make a an eagle and then see a picture of it on the web within 30 mins? Walmart 1hr photo processing does not setup shop onsite. With the exception of niche markets...film is offically dead.

And third, professional quality digital SLR cameras, like a Canon EOS-1D Mark II, only cost $5k. Just about every photo you have seen in the past 5 years on ESPN, The Washington Post, FOX, MSNBC or any other major news source, is digital. For example, to shoot staff or freelance for The Mercury News (Knight-Ridder), you are required to have a minimum of a Canon 1D.

Next?

Oh, and as to not thread-jack too much....

iPod's suck.

cassette
07-31-2005, 05:34 PM
I guess I just don't consider you to be "serious" about photography if you are publishing your photos excusively on the web. Hell, if I could attach a decent zoom lens to my mom's disposable camera I could publish Tiger Woods shots to ESPN.com too! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just buggin ya a bit.

Also, If you are taking more than 60GB of photos in one day than I am very impressed!

I guess I'm just lame and like my music players to play music and for my photos to printed in darkrooms. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

maxfisher
07-31-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
because ipod is the sh**, and if not at least i look fing cool walking around with it

Voltron87
07-31-2005, 05:49 PM
NERD FIGHT!!!!!!

omg the ipod sucks so much, i hax and have a super cool thing no one has heard of, [censored] the corporate system, i know more about computers and i want you to know it, so im going to not use an ipod because everyone who is computer retarded does.

That said, the battery on my mini sucked bigtime. So I went to the apple store and they gave me a new one. in this regard, apple pwns.

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just don't consider you to be "serious" about photography if you are publishing your photos excusively on the web. Hell, if I could attach a decent zoom lens to my mom's disposable camera I could publish Tiger Woods shots to ESPN.com too! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to these guys (http://www.sportshooter.com).

[ QUOTE ]
Just buggin ya a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not buggin' me, you are simply displaying your ignorance of the subject.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, If you are taking more than 60GB of photos in one day than I am very impressed!

[/ QUOTE ]

6 megapixel cameras, like the Canon 10D I use, produce pictures that are in the 6MB each range, which are small by todays standards. The last wedding I shot at, I took over 1200 pictures, so yes, I had a little wiggle room.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm just lame and like my music players to play music and for my photos to printed in darkrooms. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the year 2005.

cassette
07-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Post deleted by cassette

cassette
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just don't consider you to be "serious" about photography if you are publishing your photos excusively on the web. Hell, if I could attach a decent zoom lens to my mom's disposable camera I could publish Tiger Woods shots to ESPN.com too! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly consider pop culture/sporting events serious photography. But now were are just arguing definitions and preferences.

[ QUOTE ]
Just buggin ya a bit.

You are not buggin' me, you are simply displaying your ignorance of the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

6 megapixel cameras, like the Canon 10D I use, produce pictures that are in the 6MB each range, which are small by todays standards. The last wedding I shot at, I took over 1200 pictures, so yes, I had a little wiggle room.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is your intention to shoot this many photos then may I suggest a portable hardrive and not a “all in one” music player?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m not sure that this actually means anything other than you and I have different preferences.

Hurray! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

touchfaith
07-31-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly consider pop culture/sporting events serious photography. But now were are just arguing definitions and preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I stop reading your opinions...

[ QUOTE ]
SportsShooter.com member Deanne Fitzmaurice of the San Francisco Chronicle won the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....doesn't sound serious to me either...

cassette
07-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Haha. Sorry I hit a sore spot. I'll back off. I'll also concede that the machine that you chose looks very nice aswell. But I hardly think it's fair to say that Ipods suck.

If you want to get into more of a photography debate feel free to start another thread. For me to continue would be too much of a threadjack.

thatpfunk
07-31-2005, 08:00 PM
I will continue to buy ipods simply because of the amazing durability mine has shown in its 2 years.

It has gone through numerous full speed droppings, snowboarding crashes, etc. It is dented, scratched, and totally [censored] up, yet still runs perfectly. I was SURE my ipod was broken on three seperate occasions yet it still runs like a champ.

PITTM
07-31-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just buggin ya a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i object to your perfectly legitimate needs!!!! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rj

bd8802
07-31-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought I would say this, but Itunes is the best software for large MP3 collections that I have found. I have all mine loaded up and there is little to no lag. As a result, if I get an MP3 player it will probably be an ipod.

You know how much that hurts me to say that.

/bd

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's in an attempt to be trendy/fashionable

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
07-31-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's in an attempt to be trendy/fashionable

[/ QUOTE ]

do people buy sony televisions to be trendy/fashionable? maybe it's because they make dominating products and they assume they'll be good and well-supported. i don't own an mp3 player, but i haven't seen one with an interface as good as the ipod's jog dial.

daryn
07-31-2005, 11:38 PM
patrick is a passionate ipod hater. why? i really don't know! i have an ipod. do i hate all other mp3 players? no, why would i?

the interface is the best i've seen. why would someone get an MP3 PLAYER to be trendy? i don't understand i guess. i thought being trendy was more about wearing stupid looking clothes and listening to rap.

PokerBob
07-31-2005, 11:42 PM
read (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2892421&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

manpower
08-01-2005, 12:42 AM
For the record I think the nomad zen has a better interface than the Ipod. I don't have one though, I've got an ipod v2 which has been pissing me off with it's 4-5 hour battery life.

oreogod
08-01-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the record I think the nomad zen has a better interface than the Ipod. I don't have one though, I've got an ipod v2 which has been pissing me off with it's 4-5 hour battery life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should get one of the new color ones. Awesome color screen...15-18 hour battery life.