PDA

View Full Version : Top Pair, Flush Draw

07-31-2005, 02:01 PM
live tournament, 120 players, down to 20 or so. avg. stack around 12 or 13K. my stack 9K.

loose player limps in. i'm on the button with KT suited(clubs). with two passive players in the blinds, i call. SB calls, BB checks. flop comes K, 9clubs, 5clubs. i obviously love this flop. SB checks, BB checks, loose player bets 1000. due to the size of his bet, i put him on absolutely nothing at all. plus the players in the blinds are not capable of a check-raise. i raise to 3000, blinds fold, loose player calls. worst possible card falls on the turn-- a red ace. he checks, i shove my last 5000 in. he calls, turns up A3. i do not improve on the river, get knocked out.

in retrospect, i should of went all in on the flop. is making just a small raise here a huge mistake?

i would appreciate some feedback.

07-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Should've go allin after the flop or check on the turn and see for free if you can beat an A.

Miscreant
07-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Would help to know the size of the blinds ... I like the flop play, what are you trying to push him off of on the turn though? Check behind and call the river, youre going to go broke either way in this case but this way he could bluff a weaker hand instead of folding anything you beat on the turn, he could also possibly check again and you save 5K.

bruce
07-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Don't be results oriented. If you went all in you would have won, but there are two problems with moving all in.
Firstly, why would you want your opponent to fold if he
has three outs? He is getting around two to one on his call
when he is 15 to 1 dog. Secondly, when you do push the
only times you will be called is when you are behind. Also
how can you tell with villians initial bet that he has nothing?

Bruce

07-31-2005, 04:39 PM
i put him on nothing based on his previous betting patterns. blinds were 500/1000. if i check the turn, and he pushes after the river, i would still have to call though. couldn't expect to get far with only 5K left, plus he might be betting just because i showed weakness on the turn. but i guess he might have checked the river, so...