PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to NL, is this appropriate?

JihadOnTheRiver
07-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Up to recently I've been a strictly limit player normally around the 10-20 level, and properly BR'd. I took a couple rough weeks and decided to switch to NL for a bit, and so far I've been enjoying it and am showing a pretty hefty profit.

With regards to play, I've been doing stuff that I never would do in limit and coming up with some strange ways to validate it. So I'm going to post a couple hands. This hand came up today on a PP $100 table. I need to know if its at all appropriate....

Blinds are .5/1, I raise black KK UTG to $3. So far at this table, that's been able to get it down to HU or 3-handed at most. Of course, I go to the flop with 6 callers.

Flop: 37Q (two clubs) I check, it gets checked to CO who bets $10. I raise to $30.... bad?

BirdieLongSocks
07-31-2005, 01:54 PM
Stack sizes?

gulebjorn
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
I never raise less than 4xBB with KK. Usually 6xBB. Even if 3xBB is sufficient in general. Flop raise is good.

If you're new to this forum, search for Skeme's FAQ and look at some examples in other threads on how to post hands.

Hope you have fun at NL.

Edit: missed the checkraise. Don't like it. Just bet out with a pot sized bet.

JihadOnTheRiver
07-31-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stack sizes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah sorry, rather important. All 6 are $80-$120. Post flop better is at $110, I'm at $99.

BirdieLongSocks
07-31-2005, 02:12 PM
With two clubs out there, raising is apropriate.

However, I dont like the checkraise since it boosts the pot and I cant see many hands that you are ahead of that will pay of except AQ perhaps. This way it gets much harder letting the cowboys go later in the hand.

I would lead the pot on the flop, and if getting to much action I would curse, raise more pre flop next time, and fold.

RiverFenix
07-31-2005, 02:48 PM
What are you trying to accomplish with a c/r? Your hand is probably best here and the only card you dont really want to see is one of the 3 non /images/graemlins/club.gif A or one of the other queens. I may wait for the turn to c/r here if you want to do that since he is probably betting a Q.

I would probably lead flop in your situation for $15.

snappo
07-31-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never raise less than 4xBB with KK. Usually 6xBB. Even if 3xBB is sufficient in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising different amounts preflop based on what hand you have is very bad, OP please disregard that. Raising different amounts based on position is not bad, however. I wouldn't say it is bad to, for instance, raise 4x BB UTG/UTG+1 and 3x BB on the button (assuming no limpers).

JihadOnTheRiver
07-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Understood and agreed...

gulebjorn
07-31-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never raise less than 4xBB with KK. Usually 6xBB. Even if 3xBB is sufficient in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising different amounts preflop based on what hand you have is very bad, OP please disregard that. Raising different amounts based on position is not bad, however. I wouldn't say it is bad to, for instance, raise 4x BB UTG/UTG+1 and 3x BB on the button (assuming no limpers).

[/ QUOTE ]

I vary my raising amount on # of limpers, position and my holding, in that order. I'm 100% sure that at $100NL, nobody a)is good enough and b)sits with me long enough to figure this out.