PDA

View Full Version : Results of the July Goals Post

MEbenhoe
07-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Last day of July, so lets see how everybody did.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Play 20k+ hands

[/ QUOTE ]

about 14k.... damn I'm lazy

[ QUOTE ]
2. Make $4000+

[/ QUOTE ]

Was right on pace for this about half way through the month, then I hit a nice 100+ BB downswing, followed by a pretty stagnant period to leave me at $2k+ for the month

[ QUOTE ]
3. Continue working to improve my game

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 point for this one. I did, but probably could've done more

[ QUOTE ]
4. Work on my tan, going to the beach as much as possible

[/ QUOTE ]

another 1/2 point

[ QUOTE ]
5. I'm already in good shape, but I'd like to start adding a little muscle, so lifting 4 times a week

[/ QUOTE ]

I did lift but not consistently the 4 times a week that I wanted. This will be improved upon next month

[ QUOTE ]
6. personal goal that I dont feel like stating to this forum, but all that's important is I know its here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I accomplished and could not be happier with the results thus far /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So on the month 2/6. Ouch, I will definitely have to do better in August.

Hoi Polloi
07-31-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6. personal goal that I dont feel like stating to this forum, but all that's important is I know its here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I accomplished and could not be happier with the results thus far /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we know why you didn't have time to meet all your other goals. Don't spend your bankroll on her! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hoi Polloi
07-31-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Continue to be relentless about table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had my best month ever; 4.38BB/100 over about 14K hands. I ran hot early in the month, had a couple minor downswings in last two weeks. But I kept my commitment to good table selection. I think this and more value betting accounted for most of the improvement.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Be more aggressive with high equity hands. (Killed a leak being too aggressive with marginal hands in small pots, but now I'm playing too cautiously in other situations.)

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. I am playing more aggressively when I have the edge and value betting and raising much more on the river. My table selection means I'm getting a lot of dumb calls too. Sweet!

[ QUOTE ]
3. Continue to work on hand reading skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still need more work here. I guess one can always improve. Too often I'm not laying hands down when I have a good read that says I'm screwed. Need to work on connecting my reads to my play, I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Harrington Part II

[/ QUOTE ]

Only made it through the 1st quarter of the book.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Mix in some SNG with my LHE play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't end up playing many. I was having such success at cash games I wanted to put my time in there. I did play 8 SNG and cashed in three. Money's no good at 10 a shot though. I basically broke even for slightly less than 10 hours of play. Not sure this will be a goal for August.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Get my head around "Just Play Pure Poker". Entity's phrase (as far as I know) that speaks to losing results orientation, handling emotional swings, and focusing on making the correct decision. (Thanks Entity). Maybe playing pure poker will be next month's goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest weakness right now (that I know about) is handling the emotional swings.

[ QUOTE ]
7. Try not to be freaked out by Entity's avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally failed here. I'm hoping he'll change it soon.

[ QUOTE ]
8. Bang fewer strippers.

[/ QUOTE ]

While technically I did not meet this goal and I can also say that I did not bang any strippers this month. Probably not a realistic goal.

SmileyEH
07-31-2005, 01:49 PM
I didn't do [censored].

-SmileyEH

imported_CaseClosed326
07-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Man I suck. Hit a 320BB downswing and ruined all my plans. Played alot though.

Paxosmotic
07-31-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Using Poker Academy Pro 2, practice ring game techniques against the various bots, from low limit up to advanced. Play enough so that the AI can model itself to defeat me, then play enough to defeat that AI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done, I'm a consistent winner against this game now. Still itching to get home and play against some humans and put this learning to work, but this cramming of theory can only help in the long run, so I stick with it. +1

[ QUOTE ]
2. Using Wilson's Turbo Hold Em and Poker Academy Pro 2, play ~250 hands each of Sklansky's Groups 1-3 hands. This will simulate approximately 83k hands for each suited hand, 28k hands for each unsuited hand, and 41k hands for each pair (speaking in real world experience, you'd get any pocket pair 250 hands per 41,437 deals).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even CLOSE. I played exactly 0 hands of Group 1 and 2 and did about 100 of each of the group 3 hands. This doesn't count when I encountered them in ring game play, this is when I stacked the deck so I'd continually receive those cards. +0

[ QUOTE ]
3. Read SSHE from cover to cover again. Twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it once, so I guess I got halfway there. +.5

[ QUOTE ]
4. Read Inside the Poker Mind from cover to cover again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the important parts again (Parts 1 2 and 4), skipping over Part 3 (Strategy). I'll count this as a success. +1

[ QUOTE ]
5. Read HEPFAP from cover to cover again. Twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the entire book once and typed out every question in the book for my own use. I'll be going back over the questions and adding notes to the questions and notes to the notes as my play progresses. I'm counting this as a clear success. +1

[ QUOTE ]
6. Post interesting hands from my software simulations for advice on how to play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted a few, and got like 3 replies. Whatever, works for me. +1

[ QUOTE ]
7. Reply constructively to 15 threads. This will probably consist of me asking for people to elaborate on a line that interests me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did as promised, posting more questions than answers. 15 turned out to be closer to 400, though. +1

[ QUOTE ]
8. Organize 5 'poker nights' in the dorm. Use 2 of those 5 opportunities to practice proper short handed play (just hang out and shoot the bull during the other 3).

[/ QUOTE ]

This worked, and I hate poker nights, god do I hate poker nights. +1

Overall score : 6.5 of 8. Not bad, actually.

shant
07-31-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Play 12K hands at 5/10SH and not want to drop down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I played 100 hands of 5/10SH and decided I was done with it. I played 10K hands of full ring games at the next 2 levels on Party and I've had my best month ever. +1
[ QUOTE ]
-Do not post or read 2+2 while working at my current freelance gig. 2+2 is for after work.

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAAHAHA. I got through about 2 hours the first day before I opened it up. +0
[ QUOTE ]
-Post more responses with hand ranges and math and all that good [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
I did this. +1
[ QUOTE ]
-Put all rakeback for June into a savings account.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did this too. +1
[ QUOTE ]
-Finish "The Fortress of Solitude" by Jonathan Lethem

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost done. +.5
[ QUOTE ]
-Continue going to the gym 4-5 times per week. Lose 5 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
With all the freelance work I only got to the gym about 5 times. I still lost 5 pounds. +1
[ QUOTE ]
-Clean up and organize my living space.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gonna have to move to a new apartment to accomplish this one. +0
[ QUOTE ]
-Go to a Dodgers game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Went to an Angels game. +1
[ QUOTE ]
-[censored] a stripper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even close. +0

[ QUOTE ]
I hope I do better than 1.5/9 this month.

[/ QUOTE ]
5.5/9

Azhrarn
07-31-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Play at least 25,000 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Did around 19k. Of course, after I set this goal, I noticed I've never done more than 22k in a month.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Suck less at shorthanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Failure. 6k hands at -0.21. Sigh.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Curse at my monitor in a normal tone of voice, instead of at the top of my lungs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-uh. Only a couple of incidents, though.

[ QUOTE ]
4. On a related note, don't throw anything or break anything in a fit of poker-rage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Success! Okay, this one was a gimme.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Play less weak-tight post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to quantify, but I think so. And this was my best month ever results-wise, so I'm inclined to grade leniently.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Post more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another gimme, since I almost never post. I should try more concrete goals next month.

[ QUOTE ]
7. Finish HPfAP, which I started like a year ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nein. I decided to reread SSH for the first time instead, and I just barely completed that before the month ended.

Final Score: 3/7

KDawgCometh
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-get a real job(poker and parents money just isn't cutting it)

[/ QUOTE ]

ooops. a little closer to this then I was at the begining of the month. +0

[ QUOTE ]
- get in 20-30K hands at 5/10 full and 3/6

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. NOt only do I think I got in around 15K, I am now digging my way out of 2/4 after a big downswing. next. +0

[ QUOTE ]
-make strides in shorthanded play

[/ QUOTE ]

unable to due to above. +0

[ QUOTE ]
- make enough to become a prop by the end of the month

[/ QUOTE ]

again, see above. +0

[ QUOTE ]
-stop spending every spare cent on dvds/ciggarettes/alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

drank less this month, smoked less this month, and didn't buy any dvds this month, woohoo I accomplished a goal. +1

[ QUOTE ]
-drop 10-15 lbs(or two inches off the waist)

[/ QUOTE ]

1 inch off the waist. +.5

[ QUOTE ]
-find a poker mentor(someone that will go over all my hands)

[/ QUOTE ]

nope /images/graemlins/frown.gif. +0

[ QUOTE ]
-only post hands that are interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really post any hands this month, so I sorta accomplished this. +.5

[ QUOTE ]
-get the irc to work

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, yea. next. +0

[ QUOTE ]
-get myself ready to play 5/10 6 and start to make the final push towards mid stakes

[/ QUOTE ]

again, the downswing sorta messed this whole plan up. +0

2/10, man, that sucks.

Willluck
07-31-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-get myself ready to play 5/10 6 and start to make the final push towards mid stakes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] you should play the 1/2, 6-max games. All you really need for a roll is 1k and you won't even swing much(they don't call it an ATM machine for nothing). Then eventually you can move to party 3/6(6), which is equivalent to stars 2/4.

KDawgCometh
07-31-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] you should play the 1/2, 6-max games. All you really need for a roll is 1k and you won't even swing much(they don't call it an ATM machine for nothing). Then eventually you can move to party 3/6(6), which is equivalent to stars 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, all of that was before I lost a good poriton of my roll. so I'm not gonna be making any shorthanded jaunts just yet

QTip
07-31-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play at least 75K hands of 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only got 53K in. This was fine with me though. There were several things that hindered this goal. July 4th holiday, a consulting job and just enjoying my first month of not being tied down to a 9 to 5. Haven't had that since I was 15 years old. I took my family to a local water park about 3 to 4 times a week. We had a great time. So, many days I just played 5 or 6 hours. The last week of July though, I did play my 8 hours/day and got 4K per day or real close to it.

[ QUOTE ]
Reread SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only got through part of it....got distracted by getting King Yao's book.

[ QUOTE ]
Make at least 50 posts in the SS Forum with strategic content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done and then some. Also even posted a bad beat hand to dirty the forum! My apologies to everyone for that...

[ QUOTE ]
Finish “Improve Your Poker” and “Middle Limit Poker” by Ciaffone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finished "Improve your Poker". However, still not done with Middle Limit Poker. Again...stuck in Yao's book.

[ QUOTE ]
Buy King Yao’s book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it and read it already! Really enjoyed it. It will be a reread very soon.

[ QUOTE ]
Make it through week 4 of the Navy Seal Workout program

[/ QUOTE ]

oh boy....this is the worst of all of them...I had a really rough start because my body was wore out on the 1st of the month from a party I was at. I couldn't start on the 1st. I did some bike riding the 2nd week and the 3rd week of July. But nothing like I planned....have to hammer down somehow. I'm the worst at keeping an exercise/workout plan! Ugh.

SavageMiser
07-31-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Play 10k hands of hold 'em

[/ QUOTE ]
Played 8,300, but I was out of town for 10 days. Close.
[ QUOTE ]
2. Play 100 SNGs

[/ QUOTE ]
Managed 32.
[ QUOTE ]
3. Reread SSH

[/ QUOTE ]
It's in a place of honor in the throne room.
[ QUOTE ]
4. Clean the fricking apartment

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha! That's a good one.

meep_42
08-01-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh boy....this is the worst of all of them...I had a really rough start because my body was wore out on the 1st of the month from a party I was at. I couldn't start on the 1st. I did some bike riding the 2nd week and the 3rd week of July. But nothing like I planned....have to hammer down somehow. I'm the worst at keeping an exercise/workout plan! Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you didn't catch it, I left a note on your blog about a low-intensity workout thing I had found last year.

-d

meep_42
08-01-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Play 8k hands at 3/6 (6m) and 5k hands at 5/10 full.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played ~14k at 3/6 6m and about 300 5/10 full hands. I'll be playing 5/10 full as my main game this month. 3/6 (6m) or maybe a dip into 5/10 (6m) when the full games aren't good.

-d

Entity
08-01-2005, 01:11 AM
I suck, because I don't even remember what my goals were. Link to the thread?

istewart
08-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2761623&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

Entity
08-01-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

July goals:

30k hands in 5/10 6max. Hopefully build enough bankroll to be able to take a shot at 10/20 soon.

Big goal: play well. Ignore results. Work on zen meditation and learning to understand how to be a better player, especially emotionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. A hair over 20k hands of 5/10 6max (not bad), mixed in with some 2/4 6max and other miscellaneous poker as well. Did build my bankroll quite a bit -- almost to the point that taking a shot at 10/20 could be more feasible -- but I'm going to hold off a bit because I'm a nit, and also because I spent a little bit of my roll on a new computer so I can datamine and play poker with more ease. I should have a little over 600BB for 10/20 now, though, and will be taking shots as I start learning more about the game/differences.

The Zen stuff is something that I'm working on slowly, and feel that I generally made good progress on this month. We'll see about that, though, as I still had a few days where I was emotionally up/down and I really need to learn to avoid that.

Rob

sthief09
08-01-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
100 hours (not realistic) of poker

[/ QUOTE ]

37 hours + like 35 live +0

[ QUOTE ]
and/or 30k hands (realistic if I'm playing mostly 6-max)

[/ QUOTE ]

17k, +.5

[ QUOTE ]
and A in my next summer class

[/ QUOTE ]

not gonna happen +0

[ QUOTE ]
and not have any mental breakdowns

[/ QUOTE ]

almost had one when i won 5k in 2000 hands then lost 4k in 1000 hands at 20/40 and 30/60, so +.5

[ QUOTE ]
and start sleeping more and stop going to bed at 5 when I have to get up at 8:30 for work

[/ QUOTE ]

+.5

[ QUOTE ]
be happy

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

[ QUOTE ]
not spend too much on food/alcohol/coffee

[/ QUOTE ]

+.5

[ QUOTE ]
clean my room and start cooking again

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
stick at 20/40

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't happen but I'm content for now. +0

[ QUOTE ]
have another 200-300 BB downswing and cope well with it

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't happen so this doesn't count

2/9

TimM
08-01-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square">
32,000 hands of 10/20 full or 9 max.
Be bankrolled for 15/30 starting August 1.
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

This part didn't work out quite as planned, as explained in the old thread. Just finishing up the last of my 32,000 hands for the month now (For this it's still July until I go to sleep /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square"> Get psyched up to play my best poker in every session.
Figure out some way to do the same in my chess games as well.
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have to work on these, but getting better.

[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square"> Work out twice a week.
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally got this into the routine and got the 8 sessions in. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square"> Lose 10 lbs.
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only dropped 5 lbs. again this month. But I did well recovering from a bad start to the month.

BWebb
08-01-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1. Play 10K hands of 2/4 full.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. Only got to about 5k (6k total), and I thought I played a lot.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Play full tables exclusively.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but close. Played 1/2 6 max to clear a bonus and played a little 3/6 6max towards the end of the month. But I really need to stop doing that.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Book an overall winning month of at least $1K (2.5bb/100 based on goal 1).

[/ QUOTE ]
Even with less play, I was able to reach this. Without bonuses or rakeback, +$1,353, mostly from my 7bb/100 at 2/4. However, life is going to suck in July unless I get PokerEdge set up again.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Reread SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

5. Go to the gym 4 days a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

6. Go on a date with a hot chick I currently don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't go on any dates, but did hook up with a few new chics. I'll say that counts.

[ QUOTE ]

7. Bang a stripper (would be nice of 6 &amp; 7 happen at the same time).

[/ QUOTE ]

For this to start happening, I need to actually go to a strip club. Or, I need Jason to go on vacation out of state so they aren't all busy banging him.

Hoi Polloi
08-04-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Post more responses with hand ranges and math and all that good [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
I did this. +1

[/ QUOTE ]
You totally nailed this. You're my MVP for July. Way to go!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Go to a Dodgers game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Went to an Angels game. +1

[/ QUOTE ]
No way does an Angels game count for a Dodgers game. They don't even play baseball in the dumb league.

Hoi Polloi
08-04-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suck, because I don't even remember what my goals were. Link to the thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

But you changed your avatar, thank god. Here's the link:
July Goals Thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2761623&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;fpart=all&amp;vc=1)

Hoi Polloi
08-04-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For this to start happening, I need to actually go to a strip club.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the research, at least, is showing results. Good job.