PDA

View Full Version : King hand decision

tansoku
07-31-2005, 11:42 AM
3/6 10 handed. 2nd hand after sitting down.

I get J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB
2 folds, Villain calls, I complete (raise?), BB checks.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, BB folds, Villain calls

Turn: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet again, Villain raises..I? (5.5 BB pot)
Assuming I show it down if I continue, Do I...

a) call and chk/call the river (2/8.5 = 23%)
b) raise, and fold to a cap (2/5.5 = 36%)
c) raise, V calls, lead river (3/9.5 = 32%)
d) raise, call a cap, chk/call river (4/12.5 = 32%)
e) raise, if called chk/call river (3/10.5 = 29%)
f) fold, and sing the lumberjack song..

At the time I thought clear fold with no outs, but I'm wondering if he's bluffing/drawing enough here (30% or so if the above is right) for me to continue.

Given this flop, and my lead, it looks like a stab at the pot to him, or a semi-bluff flush draw. Given that, and the non /images/graemlins/diamond.gif turn card, a raise by him is *exactly* how someone with a Q would play this hand. Anyone think this line is good as a bluff/semi bluff?

W. Deranged
07-31-2005, 12:32 PM
READS!!! What kind of player are you playing against???

This is a fold, in my opinion. The key point is that the pot is tiny. I don't think that against an unknown player this will be a bluff/well-played K (that would be a pretty fun play, in my opinion/draw 1 out of 3 times. Most small stakes players will automatically play a Q like this (which isn't the best way to play it, in my opinion.

Edit: Thanks for doing the work of calculating those numbers for everyone viewing.

tansoku
07-31-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
READS!!! What kind of player are you playing against???

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had one, but alas it was completely blind. What really made me post this was the fact that I mucked, and he showed J /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif!!

Which really made me think what an effective bluff situation this was. An unknown, leading the flop here, says no Q.
Who smoothcalls the flop and pops the turn without a hand given this board? I guess if you figure that Qx slowplays this flop more than 60% (2/3.5) of the time it's a profitable bluff.
However, there are a lot of players that would call this down. I guess I'm trying to figure out if his line has some merit or not..

HolyBejeesus
07-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Definitely raise preflop.

I wish you hadn't posted results already so I could seem smart when telling you to call him down. In pots with just the blinds or the blinds and a limper, a flop bet just doesn't get much respect. Choice a) is the best because if he DOES have a queen, you lose the least, and if he doesn't, he will likely try to bluff you on the river again, whereas the other options shut him down.

clownshoes
07-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes raise PF and yes call down. You have a good hand and the size of the pot doesnt change that.