PDA

View Full Version : Best Comedy of the Last 30 years - Championship

swede123
07-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Here's the final match-up...

Harv72b
07-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Office Space = great comedy.

But Caddyshack has stood the test of time and is just as funny now as when it was first released. I doubt if the same will be true for Office Space in 20 more years. Easy, easy choice.

sfer
07-31-2005, 11:35 AM
All that bandwidth to get to this lousy result.

mostsmooth
07-31-2005, 11:47 AM
how the fvck did office space make it this far?

Grisgra
07-31-2005, 01:01 PM
that there are many, many people here that have not seen Caddyshack since they were 16 years old.

Yeti
07-31-2005, 01:03 PM
The funny thing is, if you polled Caddyshack v Airplane, I imagine the latter would win.

Harv72b
07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing is, if you polled Caddyshack v Airplane, I imagine the latter would win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I'd take Animal House over either one of them. Then again, I still think A Fish Called Wanda is the funniest movie evah.

durron597
07-31-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how the fvck did Caddyshack make it this far?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

mostsmooth
07-31-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]
fixing peoples posts is gay

Claunchy
07-31-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]
fixing peoples posts is gay

[/ QUOTE ]
Especially when while "fixing" the post, you actually make it totally incorrect.

kasey2004
07-31-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]
fixing peoples posts is fun

[/ QUOTE ]
Especially when while "fixing" the post, you actually make it totally correct .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/grin.gif

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

tdarko
07-31-2005, 02:24 PM
i will be sad if caddyshack wins /images/graemlins/frown.gif

x2ski
07-31-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i will be sad if caddyshack wins /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As will I.

Rock the vote people!

SackUp
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how the fvck did office space make it this far?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. I don't think caddyshack is the best either but it will be office space which has been far too overrated on this board.

[censored]
07-31-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't think caddyshack is funny.
I think office space is funny.
By default I vote office space.

moondogg
07-31-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you obviously don't have a soul, what do you fill that void with? Cheetos?

durron597
07-31-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/grin.gif

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna do that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
07-31-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you obviously don't have a soul, what do you fill that void with? Cheetos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice.

This was a tough choice for me though. I have to say I'm very surprised at the results so far.

teamdonkey
07-31-2005, 03:59 PM
how many funny parts does office space actually have? maybe 5? shouldn't the best comedy of the last 30 years make me laugh more than 2.5 times per hour? this polling sucks.

tdarko
07-31-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how many funny parts does office space actually have? maybe 5?

[/ QUOTE ]
thats like you opinion, man.

GrandmaStabone
07-31-2005, 04:38 PM
I cannot vote in this one because I have never seen caddyshack.

tbach24
07-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Office Space is so overated by OOT.

Zoolander is infinitely funnier.

durron597
07-31-2005, 05:43 PM
This needs to be on the first page so people can vote for Office Space.

cassette
07-31-2005, 05:47 PM
This is really close... Go OFFICE SPACE!

jakethebake
07-31-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot vote in this one because I have never seen caddyshack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me very sad.

kerssens
07-31-2005, 06:18 PM
happy b-day Mr. thebake

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I've ignored this thread thus far, so I have no idea what the other choices were. My assumption, since these two made top two, is that the other choices were movies like Terms of Endearment, Fried Green Tomatoes and Schindler's List, since these two aren't even in the top 10, let alone one and two, of my all time list.

SackUp
07-31-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've ignored this thread thus far, so I have no idea what the other choices were. My assumption, since these two made top two, is that the other choices were movies like Terms of Endearment, Fried Green Tomatoes and Schindler's List, since these two aren't even in the top 10, let alone one and two, of my all time list.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put!

durron597
07-31-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this forum is full of idiots voting for Caddyshack /images/graemlins/confused.gif

durron597
07-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Vote for office space.

SackUp
07-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Caddyshack is pwning Office Space. At least some sense came of this...just not sure how much

nervous
07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Damn, when I voted, it was tied like 65-65.

Office Space!!

durron597
07-31-2005, 11:52 PM
I think someone is cheating whenever office space takes the lead.

swede123
08-01-2005, 12:22 AM
This was a tough one for me. Office Space is truly a modern classic. I can't think of anything in the last 15 years that surpasses it in pure comedic value. But I voted Caddyshack, since it has stood the test of time so well. Even after repeated viewings over the years it is just great.

One thing that I've noticed is that both these movies tend to be appreciated much more by people familiar with the setting of the particular movies. If you haven't worked for some big corporation in a tiny cubicle you probably won't appreciate Office Space to the fullest extent. And if you aren't at least somewhat familiar with golf and some of the characters you might encounter on a course or in a club house, you probably won't give Caddyshack enough credit.

Swede

SackUp
08-01-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This was a tough one for me. Office Space is truly a modern classic. I can't think of anything in the last 15 years that surpasses it in pure comedic value. But I voted Caddyshack, since it has stood the test of time so well. Even after repeated viewings over the years it is just great.

One thing that I've noticed is that both these movies tend to be appreciated much more by people familiar with the setting of the particular movies. If you haven't worked for some big corporation in a tiny cubicle you probably won't appreciate Office Space to the fullest extent. And if you aren't at least somewhat familiar with golf and some of the characters you might encounter on a course or in a club house, you probably won't give Caddyshack enough credit.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true at all at least on this forum. I don't think even half of the Oot monkeys have worked in and office building or a cubicle for that matter. most are around 20 and maybe have fast food under their belt at best.

Also, I doubt many have been members of a country club or are avid golfers.

But I don't think either of these movies needs a frame of reference (to steal from a movie better than both of these) to be appreciated by viewers. I think the point of the movies is to give you a funny and over the top take on each setting.

durron597
08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
If you've worked in an office, Office Space really is the better movie. And if I don't bump this there is no way Office Space can come from behind, so, yeah.

samjjones
08-01-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you've worked in an office, Office Space really is the better movie. And if I don't bump this there is no way Office Space can come from behind, so, yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in an office, and although I think Office Space is a very funny movie (particularly the first hour), there isn't much there that hadn't already been covered by Scott Adams in his Dilbert comic strip. I just watched Caddyshack again this weekend, and it holds up. Rodney, Ted Knight, Murray, and Chevy in their absolute primes.

IndieMatty
08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in an office, and although I think Office Space is a very funny movie (particularly the first hour), there isn't much there that hadn't already been covered by Scott Adams in his Dilbert comic strip. I just watched Caddyshack again this weekend, and it holds up. Rodney, Ted Knight, Murray, and Chevy in their absolute primes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Office Space is one of my favorite movies, but one cannot stress how much of a classic Caddyshack is.

The right film (will) win.

durron597
08-01-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chevy

[/ QUOTE ]

Is not funny. Ever.

slamdunkpro
08-01-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I work in an office, and although I think Office Space is a very funny movie (particularly the first hour), there isn't much there that hadn't already been covered by Scott Adams in his Dilbert comic strip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was an IT guy for many years.

Dilbert was around long before Office Space and was sharp and funny because a lot of it was based on real situations that readers sent in.

Office Space is just a rip-off of a bunch of Dilbert themes. Scott Adams should sue for infringment.

RacersEdge
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
I agree. Airplane was designed from start to fininsh to be a comedy. Caddyshack and OS are both good, but there are too many comedy dead spots in them IMO.

jakethebake
08-01-2005, 04:07 PM
I voted Caddyshack. However, I did so largely as a sympathy vote because I expected Office Space to runaway with this. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

colgin
08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All that bandwidth to get to this lousy result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But given these choices I can't believe the vote is even close. Should be "Caddyshack" in a runaway.