PDA

View Full Version : AK in small blind...

RIDGE45
07-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Home Game winding down, only three handed. Blinds are 25 cents, 50 cents. Hero has about $45 dollars and is in SB. Villian has about $20 and is big blind. Very friendly game where everyone is friends, etc. Lots of chatting, etc. Still competitive and players know each other well.

Button folds. Hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif in small blind.
Hero raises to $2, Villian in BB raises to $7.

Read: Villian can be making this reraise with a variety of hands. I put his range at AA-77, AK-Js/o, possibly QK. I'm leaning towards middle pair.

Hero's line of thinking: I put him on a middle pair. I am almost certain he has a hand that he is not willing to fold preflop (villian would push the above range if reraised). If I reraise, I see him all in not matter what. I call intending to pull a stop and go regardless of what falls. I tell myself I will push any flop, that way I have some fold equity if I miss the flop but it is not ideal for him. If I raise preflop he is all in. I know this probably is not the best cash game approach but given my knowledge of villian and the fact that it was getting late adn I wanted to try it out, it sounded good.

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero pushes almost before flop has settled on the table. Villian agonizes and finally says folds.

Villian shows A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif. We talk and it is obvious he was not folding preflop (he actually says this).

Finally to some of my questions:

1. Is my play of this hand ok given the situation?
2. After looking back on it, obviously I wish I would have reraised preflop and he would have pushed but this is too results oriented. That in mind, what do people think the better play is PF:
Raise?
Call?
Why

3.Is the idea of attempting this stop and go ridiculous or is my reasoning ok?

4. Even If I was intending to stop and go should I check this flop intending to CR if villian bets?

Any general thoughts/analysis greatly appreciated.

SideCash
07-31-2005, 06:30 AM
With top pair and nuts flush draw... and about 1 to 1 pot odds... easy call.

webmonarch
07-31-2005, 10:51 AM
The question is: whay would villain agonize over this fold?

amoeba
07-31-2005, 11:00 AM
either reraise all in or stop and go is fine based on your read of the villain and stack sizes.

that is a very lovely flop for you and I would have considered getting more value by checkraising all in, since villain seems rather aggressive.