PDA

View Full Version : TT from the big blind

sirio11
07-31-2005, 02:41 AM
In the money already, PP 200K.

LP with about 35x raises to 2.5x. Folded to you in the BB with TT. Your stack is 22x. What is your move?

Lloyd
07-31-2005, 02:52 AM
Pretty typical and semi-tough situation. If you make a normal raise you are almost sure to be called, even if LP was just on a steal. For him to fold sends the wrong message and a good player would probably just call your raise knowing that you know he can bust you AND with position. Pushing is a huge overbet and will only get called by hands that you are way behind or very slightly ahead.

Still, you most likely have the best hand and should probably raise for value. I would then follow it up with a continuation bet on the flop or a check-raise if you flop a monster.

Miscreant
07-31-2005, 03:10 AM
You cant fold, pushing only gets called by AK, AQ or overpair .. that leaves a raise to 8x or calling. Raising to 8x he is likely to call with most hands he raises with and your then playing a big pot out of position where you are dangerously close to being committed with any continuation bet but he is easily able to get away from. It might seem weak but I like just calling here, looking for a favorable flop (only one over or better) and playing poker postflop.

sirio11
07-31-2005, 03:13 AM
Still not sure, but I have to say that I'm leaning toward calling, for the reasons you describe.

Stipe_fan
07-31-2005, 10:04 AM
I tend to call a raise with the trouble pairs, Jacks and Tens. You definitely want to see a flop. If you raise him and he goes AI, then what do you do? You don’t want to turn 10-10 into 7-2, like someone wrote. But, do you compound the problem later in the hand by not raising pf? That is the question I struggle with

Well, I like the call for these reasons. If you cold call a raise, he may think you have the monster. So if he in fact does have AK, AQ or maybe even AJ, KQ, and you come out betting when undercards flop, he may lay it down. If overs come out, you can either fold when he bets or you could try to get tricky with a bluff-check-raise. If you get called, then you are done with the hand.

The problem, of course, lies when he does have an overpair. Losing the least amount of chips and obtaining the most amount of information is crucial. I think you can proceed with a check-raise or simply bet out on the flop when unders hit. Again, if he reraises or bets the turn, you will have to release your hand.

Using this strategy you will lose the least amounts of chips (hopefully <1/3 of your stack), get the most information and get to see the turn card (hopefully).

What do you think? Comments? Am I overlooking something here?

Stipe

sirio11
07-31-2005, 02:56 PM
You're right on the spot Stipe. I think the best option in the flop is to check raise. Because you win extra chips when you are ahead, it's more difficult for him to make a play at you and you extract the most information if you're behind.

Double Eagle
07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
How do you have enough chips to check raise the flop and then get off the hand if he comes back OTT? Leading into an undercard flop is a much better choice if you plan on folding to a raise, IMO.

sirio11
07-31-2005, 03:16 PM
We're assuming you just called the flop. So you still have about 20x left. Pot is about 6.5x, so this depends of course on how much he bets in the flop, if he bets 3-4x, you can raise to 8-10x and fold if reraised. If he bets the pot maybe the best play here is just to call, and prepare to fold the turn if he bets again. The problem with the leading bet in the flop, it's that he can raise you with anything, so you don't have enough information to fold. Maybe open-betting something like 6-8x in the flop makes the trick, but then you lose the chance to win some chips of his continuation bet when you're ahead, and in a terrible spot when just called.

bruce
07-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Well I'm not folding so I would either call or raise.
The more I think about this the better calling looks. If
I reraise and he calls then I am OOP and if I lose I'm
in bad shape. How do I respond if he moves all in? If he
calls your are usually slightly ahead or way behing. I think by calling you are able to keep the pot small and hopefully not jeopordize your chips.

If you reraise you will have to at least triple his
raise. Let's say he just calls. On the flop your continuation bet will be at least 8x. So if you reraise
you pretty much in effect are pushing on the flop. Now,
I'm wondering if pushing BTF is better because if I 3x raise
his preflop raise I'm pretty much going all in anyway.

Bruce